• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

WTB: another EM machine

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
I bought a Batter Up Gottlieb wedgehead this summer and really like it. It is very hard, the game does not last forever and it is very satisfying to get a new high score in runs. I would post my high score in runs but it is too low and worried I would be advised to quit pinball and take up something else since I clearly have limited ability.

I have now decided I need another machine from the same era that has the chime sounds, etc...

What do people recommend?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well,
I've only recently started getting into EMs myself, but I seem to have an attraction to the mid-late 70's Gottliebs. The ones with full sized flippers and especially the single player wedgeheads.
Centigrade 37 was my first and I love it. I'm picking up a Spin Out this weekend and I might look to get something with a lot of drop-targets down the road, like El Dorado.

Can't go wrong with any of these, but the options are endless.

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
I was thinking about one of the pool themed ones...more the round targets than the drop targets...C37 seems to be popular. I have never actually played it. The Batter Up has the short flippers which makes it a lot harder, I think I prefer really hard, short ball times since it is faster, when my wife wants to play she is not waiting 20 minutes for a turn, and a good scores are hard to get. Seems more fun to me. I did try a Spin Out and liked it. Will see what comes up for sale and go from there.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
2" or 3" flippers won't matter much. Most EMs are notorious for short ball times.
Jack it up, wax it and make sure you have fresh rubber. If you can play for 20 minutes then you're a rock star :)

There are several great pool themed pins... playing card themes are cool too. Games like Diamond Jack have neat carousel roto-targets and some have animated back-boxes to match. Bowling themes like King Pin or 300 are great as well.

C37 is fantastic and has plenty to do. The animated back box is also cool and integrated into the game very well.
If you're not into drop targets, maybe something with lots of bumpers, like Slick Chick.

Lots to choose from. Good luck!

Jokercyclone

Nov 19, 2012
Its a shame when you go to pinball shows and they have the EMs almost flat. They play so slow no wonder a lot of people think they are boring. Very few are set up right. When the are they are a lot of fun. I just bought a Card Trix , same year as Batter Up, its a great game. There were only 560 Batter Ups made so you dont see them often, glad you enjoy it.

Mike Page

I have now decided I need another machine from the same era that has the chime sounds, etc...

What do people recommend?[/quote]

If your just getting into 70s Gottlieb Wedgeheads I highly recommend SURE SHOT . While it may not have any drop targets it's still a fantastic game to play and has beautiful art work. By Gordon Morison who also done C37 and SPIN OUT. I've had mine for about 20 years and still not sick of it.

SilverBallFiend

Dec 19, 2012
A great pool themed table is Pro Pool.
Just picked one up and it has always been one of my absolute favorite EMs.

Easy ruleset but can be very challenging.

The gameplay is slow like most EMs (even when angled for speed), but this table can really pick up and start moving quick which gets fun!

If you are looking for a card themed EM, I would go with Jacks Open. Played it and is super fun!

novaguy

Nov 16, 2012
Fenelon Falls
nics135 said:
I was thinking about one of the pool themed ones...more the round targets than the drop targets...C37 seems to be popular. I have never actually played it. The Batter Up has the short flippers which makes it a lot harder, I think I prefer really hard, short ball times since it is faster, when my wife wants to play she is not waiting 20 minutes for a turn, and a good scores are hard to get. Seems more fun to me. I did try a Spin Out and liked it. Will see what comes up for sale and go from there.
You're welcome to come over to my place anytime and try out some of my short flipper games.
Ted

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Hey Tim, get your mind out of the gutter :D
Guess I'm passionate about EMs

Just picked up my 6th wedgehead last week (1977 Golden Arrow).
If anyone would have told me last year I'd have any EMs at all,
I would've laughed at them.