• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

TOPL membership?

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
frolic said:
Vengeance said:
More locations would be nice ;)

What are the smallest collections to host tpol?

The bare minimum required to host is 4 machines.

Ideally we would like a location to have 5 or 6 machines so that if one machine happens to crap out, we have alternatives.[/quote]

Can we really handle the current membership with 4-6 pins? Especially since we have been averaging 25-30 people lately. We would need to add an extra hour to the league night.[/quote]

25-30 are still pretty high numbers and we've only done that at Nick's last week we are not averaging that kind of numbers for this season it has been

16,21,22,15,22,17,18,18,22 so an average of 19 with a high of 22 (at Adams and where ever we were week 3 ... not including Nick's as it hasn't been posted)

If we had 31 at Nick's then the average is 20.2

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Besides, a bunch of the regulars won't bother coming out to loacations that don't have a lot of machines. I hosted with 6 machines, and it went pretty well, although it's certainly stressful when something breaks. My JM still only seems to act up when I have TOPL over.

Agreed that more locations would be great though-we're definitely down from when I started.

dubplate

Nov 18, 2012
Hey guys i just sent my request as well. it's under mike_burns_78, I'll await the confirmation.

Tim if you're off next Monday Ancaster isn't to far. I'll drive out there.

kevin the 1984 kid

Nov 16, 2012
Niagara
I'll be coming out this Monday, 1 hour and 30 minutes drive! I get off work at 6:30 pm so it's going to be tight. Went to my first TOPL a few weeks ago and it was awesome, well worth the drive. Great collection of pins and great group of guys (got to play BBB, Safe Crackers and Banzai run three titles that I've never played and wanted to try out)
If there is any other members form the Niagara area/Grimsby that want to car pool once and a while please PM me.

tim.sanderson

Oops, I thought I replied before I left home... I probably forgot to hit 'submit''...
Mike (dubplate) and I are heading to our first TOPL night tonight! What's the etiquette? Should we bring anything with us? Snacks or drinks? Any advice from seasoned TOPL'ers?

Thanks!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
No need to bring anything as you'll have to pay a $5 host fee which goes to the host to help pay for food/drinks/electricity/pinball wear and tear.

Just show up and have fun.

tim.sanderson said:
Oops, I thought I replied before I left home... I probably forgot to hit 'submit''...
Mike (dubplate) and I are heading to our first TOPL night tonight! What's the etiquette? Should we bring anything with us? Snacks or drinks? Any advice from seasoned TOPL'ers?

Thanks!

tim.sanderson

I forgot to post a big THANK YOU to Dan, Adam, and everyone else who had anything to do with making Me and Mike's first TOPL such a fantastic experience! It was easily one of the most fun times we've ever had playing pinball. Everyone there was very friendly, and made us feel very welcome.
(PS Dan, I have a case of beer with your name on it. :))

I took a few pictures, do you think there's anyone who was there who might not want to be seen on my site? There's really only a couple of people that are even in the pics. I can blur faces if people would prefer. It's mostly machine shots and stuff. Should I ask Dan if it's cool with him? I'm not saying where the machines are or anything, I just thought maybe he wouldn't want pics made public. (even if it's only to a handful of people that actually read my site. :p)

We're looking forward to the next one!

Tim

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Cool deal Tim!
I've been in the hobby maybe 7-8 years now and only attended my first TOPL event a couple of weeks ago.
I look forward to more.

My only beef was that it was hard to connect real live people to their online personas... although there were 30+ in attendance at that event!
I'm sure I'll get up to speed eventually ;)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
DRANO said:
Cool deal Tim!
I've been in the hobby maybe 7-8 years now and only attended my first TOPL event a couple of weeks ago.
I look forward to more.

My only beef was that it was hard to connect real live people to their online personas... although there were 30+ in attendance at that event!
I'm sure I'll get up to speed eventually ;)

I'd say 90% of the people that are in TOPL are not on any other pinball forum.

That night at Nicks the only PBRev/MAACA people were, Ottogd, Mwong, yourself, myself and Squidvicious.

It's also easier to connect with everyone if you actually participate in the league night ;)

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Vengeance said:
That night at Nicks the only PBRev/MAACA people were, Ottogd, Mwong, yourself, myself and Squidvicious.

It's also easier to connect with everyone if you actually participate in the league night ;)

I felt really bad too. I didn't even notice Dan there that night and he had just brought up my C37 for me a few weeks previous!

I'm still testing the waters right now. With 3yr old twins at home it's hard to commit to any sort of regular extracurricular activities.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
DRANO said:
I felt really bad too. I didn't even notice Dan there that night and he had just brought up my C37 for me a few weeks previous!

I'm still testing the waters right now. With 3yr old twins at home it's hard to commit to any sort of regular extracurricular activities.

No need to commit to anything, that is the great thing about TOPL.

Chances are if it's a Monday we will be playing some where, so anytime you are not busy on a Monday night, come out, have fun, when your busy, then your busy.

It's only if you want to actually be competitive that you need to make it out week after week.

tim.sanderson

DRANO said:
My only beef was that it was hard to connect real live people to their online personas...
I can agree with that, the fact that it's hard to put a nick to a face. (not just on PR, but any forum out there)
Vengeance said:
The only member I (knowingly) met last Monday was Squidvicious. If I met any of the other guys, feel free to let me know who it was I spoke with. :D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
tim.sanderson said:
The only member I (knowingly) met last Monday was Squidvicious. If I met any of the other guys, feel free to let me know it was you I spoke with. :D

Pretty hard not to meet me, since I was the dude that had to sign you and Mike in so you actually were able to take part :p

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
tim.sanderson said:
Aha! There we go, almost putting names to faces! Are you Adam, or the guy I gave my money to? (I forget the latter's name :oops: )

I'm Adam, I used to have my name in my Signature, I need to put it back.

Les is TOPL's treasurer, he isn't on here.