• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's SKYLAB thread

singlezero

Jul 10, 2014
Orillia ontario
A quick search found Bruce in a mini doc:
i went and picked up a Bank Shot the AAB of Sureshot a couple months ago in Guelph. "Dan" had a "pinball sessions" tshirt on. i mentioned that i had seen Bruces pinball sessions and Dan told me he was the one that made the video. That was confirmed. I see he regularly has machines for sale out of guelph. he had a flying carpet recently and an xfiles.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
heres something to add to the mystery. your glass is showing it as an AAB? not sure if it plays as an Add a Ball. However at ipdb if you look the AAB version was "Spacelab" a game they only made 30 of confirmed.

All skylab's are add-a-balls, you can see the reverse side of the backglass with the numbers for the add-a-ball

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2202&picno=48353

But there is also a space-lab add-a-ball which is more rare

singlezero

Jul 10, 2014
Orillia ontario
i was at ipdb.. in the description of "skylab" it said the AAB version of skylab was spacelab. perhaps that picture of the BG is from the same machine? i was just going from the ipdb informtation provided and it didnt say it was an AAB

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
i was at ipdb.. in the description of "skylab" it said the AAB version of skylab was spacelab. perhaps that picture of the BG is from the same machine? i was just going from the ipdb informtation provided and it didnt say it was an AAB

I've played quite a few different Skylabs, they are all add-a-balls :)

tim.sanderson

I've changed all the rubbers, save two. The two posts on either side of the captured balls is an odd size, and Starburst didn't have them. It looks like I'll have to track those down online.
IMG_0465.JPGIMG_0456.JPG
I think the flippers that came on the machine are actually Gottlieb flippers. Mine were in rough shape, one of them were actually cracked. I had a couple of bats from the System 11 era, so I've temporarily thrown them on.
IMG_0459.JPG
I also made some new score/rule cards. I just used the Arial font to make this Skylab logo, but will eventually do a proper one.

tim.sanderson

I've pulled out the score reel assembly for two reasons.

1) The 'ten' reel (the first real number reel) doesn't want to reset at the start of the game. You can here the sounds it makes as it tries to reset, it just doesn't turn. However, it advances just fine.

2) The same reel is a disaster.It's smudgy as hell. I'll try to clean it up, but I think I'll have to make a decal to cover it up.
SL score reel 1274px.jpg

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
Peter did the work already. Williams Score Reel File

Williams_reproduction_reel_result.jpg

Reactions: tim.sanderson

tim.sanderson

So it appears I've got my first hiccup. Skylab has become very random when awarding the bonus points at the end of a ball. When the ball drains, I can hear the bonus relays going under the playfield, but it doesn't add any score to the game. Sometimes it'll go all 5 balls without giving a bonus, but then in another game it'll reward sometimes. (sometimes all 5 balls get the bonus added)

I've got the day off tomorrow, so I should have plenty of time to tackle this one. :)