• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Daily News! All about the members.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
This thread is inspired by the original thread concept by Chris, (monkeybug) long ago on maaca.

Walt (Brewmanager) continues the spirit of that thread here with "The Pinball Diaries". (What did you do today) It is mainly a (What did you do in the hobby?) thread.

The other part of the thread (that is now split into two threads on maaca) is "The maaca Daily News! Your daily read about you, the members."

Both threads were once 1 thread, and now they are 2 threads, and the intent of the thread by monkeybug was great. This thread (two threads now) is how I learned so much about so many members, so much about pinball, so much about everyone I met in this hobby.

Enough of the history lesson for now, I can elaborate later on if requested or desired.

I started Pinball - Behind the Scenes - The offline World thread with the intention of letting members and readers know about the sense of community, and friendship that exists here. It is a big club, and anyone who wants to participate is welcome. I felt that it was time to end that thread as I had accomplished what I set out to do; increase awareness in some small way regarding the pinball activity that happens offline.

We move pinball machines, vids and generally help each out in this hobby wherever we can and are able to. There is no limit to who can participate, we just assist each other and go from there.

Having said that, there are stories that are relevant and being written and told that don't currently have a place to go on pbrev just yet. Some are told partially by text offline, some are told on the maaca thread. Since some members only read here, I thought I would add this thread on pbrev.

This is about you, about us.
Here is:

The Daily News! All about the members.

I will go first with a story from tonight.
Cheers.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: FastEd

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Tis' the season for me to transport small human's around everywhere, daily. Our family runs 7 days a week.
Halloween through New Years (we run) other than the odd "journey" or small break we each take.

I dropped my son, daughter and 2 of my son's friends off at their basketball season party tonight.
The 3 boys were discussing video games, consoles and their father's old NES systems in the back.
I didn't participate in this conversation unless asked a question such as: "Do you have the 'Duckhunt' gun?"
Yes, I have 2, I replied. The 2nd one, I obtained last summer in Nashville while hunting parts in a pinball shop.

I turned to my daughter and asked if she used her NSI anymore, as the boyz had changed to this topic in the back.
She replied "No Daddy."; and added the following wisdom...

"I'm too busy doing homework. I am too busy living life.
I don't spend my time looking at a screen. I have to look at what's around."

(She may have added something like: "Don't want to miss anything.")
I will have to ask her later for clarification. She has a good command of her words.

She then said, "Maybe I will play it on a road trip or something, but otherwise no."
There are the differences between women and boys, plain and evident in our youth.

My daughter has only asked for clothes and books this holiday season.
My son only wants Lego to build, video games to play and an e-reader.

3 - 10 year old boys and 1 - 12 year old young lady.
From the "mouths of babes"; how time flies.

They are most certainly both my children...
And taking my daughter's advice, I am off.

2 playfields to thoroughly check out tonight.
Back to my shop between drop-offs/pickups of kids.

My wife is at some event where they are buying things.
Where the women gather and "hen" together. (farming term)

I am a rooster tonight. Time to strut over these 2 pf's.

Last edited:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well I'll be damned... Warlock picked a profile picture...

I had the same reaction the other day. I had to do a double take; was certain it was a glitch in the new website :D

I wish I had some exciting daily news for you Scott.
Aside from spending the last week or so working on that Heat Wave (which is already well documented here), it's just been a blur of work and also driving kids around to various activities. On the bright side, I think I can finally say I have a pair of little 5yr old skaters on my hands. The twins will soon skate rings around their poor old dad ;)

Sadly, I have not had the pleasure of hanging out with any of my pinball buddies for a few weeks now. However, there is a small glimmer of activity on the horizon. If the GTA weather doesn't hamper my plans tonight, I am expecting a visit from one of the pre-eminent EM experts in the area and all around good guy. I'm ramping up for a fun re-theme project (as some of you already know) and tonight I hope to find out if I'm off my rocker, or if my ideas are remotely possible.

I'l look forward to sharing more soon.

Reactions: WARLOCK

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Well I'll be damned... Warlock picked a profile picture...

This was the first picture I ever took of one of my "grail" pins. That is the actual pf from my Black Knight.
She is in the cue to be clear coated. I figured she would do for my first Avatar for now until I make one up.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
+
I had the same reaction the other day. I had to do a double take; was certain it was a glitch in the new website :D

I wish I had some exciting daily news for you Scott.
Aside from spending the last week or so working on that Heat Wave (which is already well documented here), it's just been a blur of work and also driving kids around to various activities. On the bright side, I think I can finally say I have a pair of little 5yr old skaters on my hands. The twins will soon skate rings around their poor old dad ;)

Sadly, I have not had the pleasure of hanging out with any of my pinball buddies for a few weeks now. However, there is a small glimmer of activity on the horizon. If the GTA weather doesn't hamper my plans tonight, I am expecting a visit from one of the pre-eminent EM experts in the area and all around good guy. I'm ramping up for a fun re-theme project (as some of you already know) and tonight I hope to find out if I'm off my rocker, or if my ideas are remotely possible.

I'l look forward to sharing more soon.

You share so much already Drano, I enjoy reading it all. (If not always posting a response every single time)
Great to hear the twins are skating! Woot! Brewmanager + I will share stories of our hoard of skiers soon.
Lotsa snow in the GTA today. We need the snow to stick tight to the ski hills. Happy retheme meeting!

Last edited:

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Today, I tried to upload a photo here. My Blackberry didn't want to "give-up" the photo.
The ongoing joke between Wong and myself currently is that Wong insists I need a new phone.
I think I may give in and acknowledge that he is correct.

Anyway, the picture was supposed to be "one of my son" shoveling 1-2 feet of drifted snow off our driveway.
His sister and Mom helped at first, but my 10 year old finished it off once the girls had had enough. That's my boy. I guess it is time for a raise in his allowance... Lookout grass cutting in the spring.
I have been at work almost non-stop this week, and had 15,000 square feet of snow to deal with and extract trucks from.

The show must go on.
New labourer, great.

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Dropped in at Starburst during lunch today to pick up some Novus and shiny new balls.

Had a chance to play IM VE. Lots of fun, never really had a chance to play it before. Seems to have some nice flow to it.

Played Mustang, it was meh.

Played TWD Pro version. That's a cruel machine. I think I prefer the LE version better. It plays differently for me.

Same thing for Metallica Pro. I really like that hammer and lower playfield on the Premium version.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
There are times when all you do is "do".
No time to think for the next 2 weeks.

Just have to "do" all that was already
set in motion these last 2 months.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
It is fascinating how the mind works, and ignores or files away things for later analysis.
In a conversation with R.A.B. recently (November?) or far longer ago, this thought struck me.

We are in a unique time and place in this hobby. Information to fix and repair these items of some
importance to us is readily available online and off, in "web" form and written form with manuals + schematics.

And yet, we still seek each others opinions by text, email, or by phone call to "assure us" in some way that we
are on track, going in the right direction and otherwise are " on the path" to fixing, repairing or making run said device.

It is still all about "our people", our contacts, and our friends and fellow collectors who have this connection to this hobby.

Grauwulf tonight let me know I was on the right path in making sure my EFTLW will be up and running soon. Thank you brother.
By the same token, I PM'd a new member who bought my BOPP not long ago that there was assistance for the forthcoming repair.

Sylvain and Drano were both on the case to assist. Thank you gentlemen.
Life and family obligations took my time for a few days, and I was behind.

That is what I love about this hobby and the great people we know here.
We step up and assist (when there is no-vested interest) to just help out.

I appreciate that, and always knew there were others here to assist.
It made this hobby what it is for me. Thank you all.

Advice for the new people coming in.
Participate. Question. Help.

A game can work great for 4 minutes, 4 days or 4 years. Then not.
And then we need to change the oil, air filter, do the brakes or motor.

Then, back as we were, and we hope our wives and family understand it all.
It is a blip in the road (when things don't work) and soon enough they will again.

Thank you my friends.
As we were.

Reactions: FastEd and brad808

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Today I sat in budget meetings most of the day for the next fiscal year.
Self imposed. (my company) I confirmed the meeting. 2015 looks solid.

I was thinking about EFLTW in my spare mental moments today. Interesting.
Tall legs on back, short on front. Still have a "ball trough" recognition issue on it though I think.

I will dig into it more tomorrow and the next few days. Holiday time will distract me from work, and pinball...

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
The "holiday season" is a "family" time of year.
Not much to report lately online, all is well.

Close friends + family keep it real.
Have a great 2015 everyone.

Cheers.

Last edited:

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I have realized over the last few months that there is a "place" for all threads and all comments.
Our "true" task is to figure out where to appropriately place those comments based on what is on our minds. (And how to sort it all out effectively)

So, in regards to a recent thread, and then another thread regarding "WTB WPT": (Wanted to buy - World Poker Tour)

Here is what I feel.....

Adam's WPT was my WPT first. (Kijiji score!)
I owned this pin when "no one loved it but me". lol (Adam wanted it in trade to: Learn, Play,Enjoy, and then to Keep? Turf? Trade? Sell?)

I only traded it away to Adam towards Adam's "Tom Palmer PF" Williams "Indiana Jones" which most will agree is beautiful.
So, If Jim Wilkes is ever reading this or hears, "I would love my WPT back one day. I have lots to trade, great pin." Great buy!

Good luck with the hunt gents.
WPT is a great game, very underestimated pin.
Xmen is great as well. (I have owned it twice and will do so again)

Will re-obtain both one day with any luck.

Cheers.

Those are my thoughts.
No rant, no conflict, just "statements". (thoughts)

(Not done in a thread to "disrupt someone else's thread".

We are each entitled to our own opinions.
Let's be less harsh on each other in 2015. We are a tolerant and patient nation.

But, fun, disagreement and discourse is encouraged. (we all do anyway)

Cheers.
Salut.

More soon.

Last edited:

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I reread and sorted through 391 PM's sent to me over the last 10 weeks.
If I missed anyone or anything, please PM me back. Thank you. Hobby on fire...