• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Stern Pro build quality-what's really different?

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Given that I haven't bought a Stern pro since they went Costco, I'm just wondering what's typically different between them and the LEs/Premiums in terms of raw cabinet/PF hardware, and how much that matters:

-Playfields: other than the obvious different features, are the pro PFs any different in terms of clearcoat, PF durability, etc?
-Supports: Besides the big ass screw pegs instead of the real supports, is there a major difference? I know you can replace these parts pretty easily (so you don't damage the stuff underneath as easily when pulling the PF out), but do you find it makes much of a difference?
-Playfield rails: Now that I think about it, are any of the stern PFs on a rail/track to keep them from accidentally falling into the cabinet when you pull them out? If so, what's the mech difference between pro/premium? Are there stops missing on the Pros?
-Lockdown bar:does the new lockdown mech really matter? People seem pissed off about it, but I'm not sure why.
-Apron: Plastic apron looks cheap, but does it really make the PF harder to remove? Anyone had one break on them?
-Lighting: I kind of doubt it, but there's no way to aftermarket add the same LED effects to pro games, is there?
-Cabinet decals: I'm assuming that the decal quality is just about the same across the board?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I have a Tron pro and an XM LE. Here's my take.

-There was a time when an LE playfield got some extra clear... or in the case of Tron, some sort of better finish. This is arbitrary these days as I'm sure there is little difference on games like XM, ACDC etc.
-The supports seem like a little thing, but I hate the pegs. How useless; you can't pull the playfield all the way forward. I bought the aftermarket slides from PBL and won't live without them.
-the actual support rails are the same. Pull too far forward and you're screwed
-I actually like the lockdown bar on the pros. Sure, you have to reach in to snap and un-snap them, but they seem solid and work well. Saves a few parts too. very efficient.
-Plastic apron is cheap but seems sturdy enough. Aside from the shiny pebbly finish, it doesn't bother me. It would be nice if they added a couple of strips of mylar where the ball travels.. like they do on the metal aprons of the LEs
-Lighting is the big one. There is no way, even with aftermarket LED bulbs, that you are going to acheive the effect and programming of games like ACDC Premium/LE, XM LE etc... The programmable LED effects in these games change the entire mood of a game from one mode to another. Simply swapping incandescents for cointaker suprbrights won't acheive the same effect.
-Decals are decals.

The only other differences would be things like custom powdercoated trim, real backglass, various extra toys on most LEs... sometiems extra modes or features too, maybe an added shaker on occassion?

In general, these latest Sterns feel a whole lot more robust than past offerings, LE or Pro.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Thanks-I was really wondering because of things like the IM at Playdium getting pounded to hell and the wood wearing away on a game that's what-2 years old? Shouldn't they be able to take more abuse than that? I suppose I don't have a B/W game to compare to that saw similar usage to something out in public like that, so they may have been just as bad.

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
When you mention LED effects. Is it like the dimming effect you get from the LED OCD board? Seems to be an improvement in that the lamps are more persistant like an incandescent and don't just flicker.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13yb2YfiZ98&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
No, it's actually different/multicolored LEDs that will change based on game code. Looks really nice on the new games. On X-Men, the GI can flip to blue or red for different modes, and a bunch of the ACDC inserts can all be different colours. I wasn't sure whether than was in both versions of the code or not, or if there was extra hardware (besides the bulbs) that made this work. I'm not actually sure how these LEDs are software controlled though-is it extra wiring, or different voltages to the socket?