• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Spike 3 coming soon - Metallica

Hershy

Feb 14, 2022
Vaughan
According to Kaneda, the first Spike 3 game will be an entirely re-imagined Metallica game and not a vault edition of it.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So what's the difference going to be between spike 2 and 3? It it just an upgraded main board, and all the node boards are the same? Given the way things are distributed in Spike games, that seems like the only thing that would need a significant upgrade. What CPU is on that board? I'd have to think that the processing needs of a pinball machine aren't going to change much, so an upgrade is probably more parts availability than being able to do more in the game. That's going to either be new mechanical stuff, or new nodes. For example, you could probably do something interesting with small OLED screens for animated inserts, but I'd assume that'd just mean that each of those would be a node unto itself.

MiC

Dec 11, 2020
QC
and you could also handle greater media files … such as high-res content, and potentially increase user interaction.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
I have an Alien LV and when you open it up, it is amazing how few boards, wires and parts there are inside. Like 75% less than a Stern. So I'm guessing, due to manufacturing and technology development, Spike 3 could be a significant reduction in parts...?

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
I have an Alien LV and when you open it up, it is amazing how few boards, wires and parts there are inside. Like 75% less than a Stern. So I'm guessing, due to manufacturing and technology development, Spike 3 could be a significant reduction in parts...?

George Gomez said somewhere on a podcast that Stern was looking to cut costs and complexity so that would all make sense.

TopTierArcade

Apr 28, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
That would be really cool! I have also heard that Spike 3 will have a bigger screen, closer to JJP style. Also, will allow more voltage for more mechs/toys/mods. I really hope they do Lord of the Rings vault with Spike 3, I would be in for an LE