• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

So many very good/great games for sale here not selling?

GhostedPINBALL

Jan 10, 2021
SW Ontario
You make some good points Gord. The one thing I suspect is that we will see a lot of unsold games being offered to the USA buyers on Pinside, taking the games away from the Cdn market especially with the low Cdn dollar value.

Angel11

Mar 16, 2020
Mississauga
I would agree with many posts. I have room for 7 pins and I am very happy with the first 6. Now its a matter of waiting for a pin that I believe is a keeper, at least for a long while. The prices from P1 are fairly high (may improve if our dollar strengthens) and guaranteed to go up in the new year as manufacturers pass on costs to the consumers, as demand grows and supply chains remain strained. I sincerely hope that new pin prices will decrease...I doubt it although.

Time to check if there are any new posts for my 7th pin... ;)

Reactions: AGFREE12

AlexRogan84

Dec 4, 2020
Guelph
Hard to compare how things were in the past to right now because the world's mood and economy has never been like it is right now.

You have some people with plenty of disposable income and others with none.
You force most of the population to stay home for 2+ years (Covid) and are in need of things to do.
People age, get nostalgic for things like they used to be, and yearn for things that remind them of the good ole days.
You have machines that were only ever made in limited quantities and once they are gone they are gone (...and I mean pinball machine numbers being in the thousands or ten thousand even and not things like Honda Civics that are in the millions).

I see people that are new to pinball wanting to own games. And people that have played lots of pinball over the years, but only recently decided to be owners. I fall into the latter category. Played all the time in the 80s and 90s and then nothing for two decades. Enter Covid and I got my first game in August of 2020. Now I have eight different machines in the house including three trades (so eleven different titles over that 2+ years).

While I'm not as drawn to the brand new titles as much as the old (everything I have is Bally Williams from the late 80s and early 90s), I do still really enjoy playing many of the new ones when at someone else's home or league or out on location. Not all of the new ones are created equal... just like the old ones weren't either. Bugs Bunny will never be worth the same as a Funhouse and overtime we'll see what a Godzilla or James Bond or Led Zeppelin gets valued at.

Bottom line (for me, just opinions here of course!), is I don't think the prices will go down. There's no reason for them to. Not in some major correction close to what they were. Same thing with real estate. If houses on your street should and used to be worth $500k and they are now way over one million, they'll never come back down to anything close to $500k again... the economic system just won't allow it.

Is a Demolition Man or Judge Dread or World Cup Soccer worth $6,000? No idea, but that's how much they are and I just don't think they'll ever drop in value right across the board that these games will be sold for much less than that.

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
Hard to compare how things were in the past to right now because the world's mood and economy has never been like it is right now.

You have some people with plenty of disposable income and others with none.
You force most of the population to stay home for 2+ years (Covid) and are in need of things to do.
People age, get nostalgic for things like they used to be, and yearn for things that remind them of the good ole days.
You have machines that were only ever made in limited quantities and once they are gone they are gone (...and I mean pinball machine numbers being in the thousands or ten thousand even and not things like Honda Civics that are in the millions).

I see people that are new to pinball wanting to own games. And people that have played lots of pinball over the years, but only recently decided to be owners. I fall into the latter category. Played all the time in the 80s and 90s and then nothing for two decades. Enter Covid and I got my first game in August of 2020. Now I have eight different machines in the house including three trades (so eleven different titles over that 2+ years).

While I'm not as drawn to the brand new titles as much as the old (everything I have is Bally Williams from the late 80s and early 90s), I do still really enjoy playing many of the new ones when at someone else's home or league or out on location. Not all of the new ones are created equal... just like the old ones weren't either. Bugs Bunny will never be worth the same as a Funhouse and overtime we'll see what a Godzilla or James Bond or Led Zeppelin gets valued at.

Bottom line (for me, just opinions here of course!), is I don't think the prices will go down. There's no reason for them to. Not in some major correction close to what they were. Same thing with real estate. If houses on your street should and used to be worth $500k and they are now way over one million, they'll never come back down to anything close to $500k again... the economic system just won't allow it.

Is a Demolition Man or Judge Dread or World Cup Soccer worth $6,000? No idea, but that's how much they are and I just don't think they'll ever drop in value right across the board that these games will be sold for much less than that.

I think the only reason they would go down substantially is if the economy really went into the toilet and demand dried up because of that. It's possible but still seems unlikely at this point.

Market is softer today than it was 6-12 months ago. That may change as we head into fall and winter.

Low CAD$ will certainly keep buyers at home now. New Stern prices with the price hikes and the low currency are going to be very painful.

Last edited: