• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

quick and easy cab touch ups

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
I didn't invent this method by any means, but for those who are new or relatively new to the hobby, I thought I'd share a quick and easy method of cab art touchups.... it's generally very good for EMs and early SS machines because their cab art generally consisted of a base coat colour and 2 or 3 art colours.

I just picked up this Abra, as a machine that's meant to go to a 9 yr old kid of a friend of my wife. But the cab is pretty beat... mostly with foul scratched in messages.

So I'm going to do the Reds and Yellows on this Abra, because the whole cab sides have plenty of similar messages and names scratched in.

Step 1 - sand down the area so when it's painted you can't read the words once it's painted.

Step 2 - Buy some Contact Adhesive from Home Depot, in the Shelf Paper section. Comes in clear, and 18" x 24'. About 10 bucks a roll. Cut a piece, and stick to cab. Use a sharp exacto knife to cut out the area you want to paint.

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
Step 3 - Light primer

Step 4 - Semi-gloss rattle can paint

Step 5 - Peel away the contact adhesive paper... ta-da!

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
Now an 18" width will do the entire side of a wedgehead, but on a standard SS or EM you might need to tape off a bit of the top or bottom edge to be sure you don't paint it. I generally don't just mask or paint one small area... I was just trying to show how it works.

Here's all my reds done -

And here's both reds and yellows -

This method is good when you still have the art to see as you do the work.... not so good if the base layer is terrible and you need to repaint the whole thing... then you'd need to make a stencil for the artwork. But that's another post, and it won't be from me because I'm far too lazy. :)

Purists won't like this method, but for me and the 9 yr old that this is going to... it's pretty quick and easy, and really spruces the cab up and gets rid of those scratched in insults about Bonnie and her lips....

Daniel