• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Playdium blues

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Had this as an aside at the bottom of my Wizard of Oz post but it ranted on too long. Went to the Playdium. Was looking to try out the new Avengers table, but as another post on PinRev indicated, it ain't there anymore. I knew it was gone, but I had the day free so I went anyway. I found that all the Playdium machines are in various states of ill-repair. Iron Man is the most beat up, yet every machine had something wonky (except the Rolling Stones table...guess nothing can break if nobody is playing it!). Its good and disappointing at the same time---good because it means people are playing the tables...disappointing because, after paying my money, I'd like access to a decent representation of what the machine has to offer. Maybe I've shot the wrong villain here...perhaps this is Stern's product not being able to withstand the rigors of an arcade. Maybe a Stern is better suited for the home environment where the plays keep to the thousands, not tens/hundreds of thousands. I won't be back to Playdium and I don't think I'll ever own a newer Stern, so it looks like I'll have to weasel my way into an invite to one of your places to have a go at your well-kept, free-play IMs or Trons!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
If your local enough to play at Playdium you should try and make it out to a TOPL night.

Our last league night was held at a members house and not only did he have Avengers, but a plethora of other great playing games as well.

Anyway as for Playdium, it's standard fare for the arcade, and why pinball doesn't work on location. It has nothing to do with the build quality of Stern, WMS/Bally machines getting the same abuse break down in the same ways. TAF as an example was notorious for having a huge chunk out of the ramp from hitting the upper right flipper shot.

But anyway it's as expected, if you want wide access to pinball, join TOPL, or TCPL, or come out to the Avengers Launch Party on Feb 22nd:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=398

Lots of different opportunities to play all the pinball you could ever want!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
If your local enough to play at Playdium you should try and make it out to a TOPL night.

+1 to this-there is really an unbelievable group of hosts in TOPL that make their collections available to everyone, and it's truly incredible what you have access to as a member of the league. Someone has just about all the high profile B/W and Stern releases, and there are even multiples of things like CC, MM, and BBB out there. Don't worry about not being able to compete well-plenty of us aren't very good. There's always time on either side of (and between) league matches for extra free play games, so every week there's plenty of pinball to be played.

There are also plenty of hosts out in the west of Toronto, in Mississauga, Ancaster, Carlisle, Brampton, and Georgetown, so no need to drive across the city if you don't want to travel that far.