• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinball Pirates and Profiteers (re: R&B kijiji)

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Re: Pinball Pirates and Profiteers (re: R&B kijiji)

I can't help to think that the guys complaining about pinflation must not remember the new collectors. I've never seen cheap prices, but I have noticed an increase in the last year

Not everyone can afford a NIB stern for 5k, or wants one. if a fun game from my childhood comes up for 2k, and looks good, plays well and in my budget then I'm going to get it. I don't give a shit if if it was worth half that two years ago. I didn't want it two years ago. Now I'm getting a great game for 3k less then the flavor of the week and it has nostalgia for me.

Here's an example. If a 12 year old kid dreams of owning and driving a classic 1990 Honda civic. Only a 1990 civic. Nothing else. When that kid turns 16 and can finally drive four years later. He's going to go looking for that ONE car and pay the price that it costs, he's not going to get mad because four years earlier he saw a better deal. Lets assume for this kid, that the ONE car he wants is the same car that a million other kids just bought, because they've also been dreaming of that ONE for four years. By now all the Junkers have been parted out or trashed. the only '90 civics on the road are nice refurbished cars that demand a premium; because all these stupid kids with more money then brains are buying them up at any price.

Just my opinion.

...if pinball is a rich mans hobby, then I'd imagine that a couple money hungry rich guys will try to make a buck from it. That's all they know.

I've never sold a pin on kijiji, but when I buy one I look at the price as "I'd like to get for it". Usually haggling the price is expected and condition is king. There's been many pins that I've seen posted on kijiji 3 times over the last year, each time with a lower price, so they don't all go for a stupid price

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
Williams Fan said:
The funniest one out there on kijiji was the Bad Cats for 2k here in Ottawa.

And wasn't that the one that used to be Terry's which he sold for around $900 ?

There is so much profiteering on the newer pins that I really have a hard time when people try to do the same thing to the older pins. I feel that there should at least be a little honour remaining amongst the collectors of the older pins ~ EMs, early solid state, etc.

Although I sometimes chime in on Pinside when someone tries to flip a new pin they haven't even seen yet, I reserve most of my ire for certain people closer to home ( they/he knows who they/he are/is :cool: ) who attempt to supplement their income by monitoring kijiji like a NORAD technician monitors the Arctic Circle and scooping up underpriced machines only to flip them days later for an undue profit. I just find it undignified.

And what makes it worse is when certain other people come to the defense of these people and their craft. I don't get it.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
My favourite story is a friend who got one of these flipped "shopped" pins discovering batteries in it that expired in, oh, say, 2006 or so. That's a nice "shop".

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
brewmanager said:
My favourite story is a friend who got one of these flipped "shopped" pins discovering batteries in it that expired in, oh, say, 2006 or so. That's a nice "shop".
I remember a story of a guy buing a BNIB that had been sitting for a few years. Still sealed, opened it up, battery acid everywhere from the factory. It seems the guy kept the sealed box in a bad location causing it to rot.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
meegis said:
I remember a story of a guy buing a BNIB that had been sitting for a few years. Still sealed, opened it up, battery acid everywhere from the factory. It seems the guy kept the sealed box in a bad location causing it to rot.

Not necessarily, batteries will leak if left alone too long regardless of location. This is a common problem when someone buys a NIB Williams pin for crazy coin

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Would it basically be guaranteed that any NIB Williams games at this point are wrecked inside the box?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
frolic said:
Would it basically be guaranteed that any NIB Williams games at this point are wrecked inside the box?

Nope. I've seen pics of NIB games that have been in storage for more than 20 years and somehow the batteries never leaked. I actually bought a HUO DM that had NEVER had the head opened since being un-boxed, and I was worried the batteries would be a disaster, but to my surprise they hadn't leaked at all. Luck of the draw...

D