• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinball News: IFPA WORLD PINBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2013

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
ifpa_logo.jpg

The full article can be read along with many other pictures:
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/ifpa2013/index.html

I spotted PBREV's very own Vengeance aka Adam Becker in a few pics from the article

11.jpg

19.jpg

39.jpg

Adam didn't win but did mention to me that the IFPA is a very hard tournament and separates the top world players from the gingers :) I am sure he will fill us all in on his trip once he gets back and hope he has a safe flight back.

1. Cayle George - 126 pts
2. Jörgen Holm - 122 pts
3. Franck Bona - 118 pts
4. Taco Wouters - 118 pts
5. Roy Wils - 116 pts
6. Nico Wicke - 114 pts
7. Krisztián Szalai - 112 pts
8. Zach Sharpe - 110 pts
9. Jorian Engelbrektsson - 110 pts
10. Paul Jongma - 108 pts
11. Erwin Deutschländer - 108 pts
12. Jérémy Reynaud - 108 pts
13. Daniele Celestino Acciari - 108 pts
14. Olli-Mikko Ojamies - 106 pts
15. Tim Hulin Bouard - 106 pts
16. Albert Nomden - 104 pts
17. David Grémillet - 104 pts
18. Ernö Rotter - 102 pts
19. Markus Stix - 102 pts
20. Daniel Nowak - 102 pts
21. Martin Hotze - 102 pts
22. Andreas Harre - 100 pts
23. Adam Becker - 100 pts
24. Michael Trepp - 100 pts
25. Janne Toukkari - 100 pts
26. Patrik Bodin - 100 pts
27. Jochen Ludwig - 100 pts
28. Lieven Engelbeen - 98 pts
29. Steve Edwards - 98 pts
30. Mikkel Sjølin - 98 pts
31. Levente Tregova - 96 pts
32. Julio Vicario Soriano - 96 pts

4 minute tour of the very impressive looking IFPA facilities.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qR_UGHS6VFQ[/youtube]

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Chris Bardon said:
but a really expensive place to play. Games at a euro apiece? That can get expensive quickly...

everything overseas is more expensive. not to mention, they pay a premium just to buy the machines and have them shipped over. Still cheaper than buying a machine :).

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Very true. It'd be a great tournament to compete in, but given that it's only top 64 in the world, not very likely. Unless, of course, you form your own country and get in under that exemption :)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
23rd was just where I qualified, 28th is where I ended up after I lost in the first round in the playoff.

Still very happy I qualified as this was my 3rd IFPA and only the first time I qualified.

IFPA is the hardest tournament I play in, for the simple reason there are no jobbers, everyone at IFPA can play and can play really well. So unlike Pinburgh or any of the other tournaments I attend where you can count on some easier matches just because there is a lower caliber of player, it is not the case at IFPA.

PAPA is also REALLY hard but that is just you against the machine so it's more of a grind and not as fun.

Anyway I could have gone further I think but I defeated myself, my biggest issue is never my skill level but my mental state. Once something goes wrong or I get riled up my game goes to shit and I end up defeating myself.

They guy I played Andres was a good player and did really well, but it was funny, I picked Ironman as my game to play first as I have been playing it so well lately and once I got beat on that my mental state went right into the shitter and I never recovered.

Anyway it was still a great tournament and I hope I will get invited again next year for Denver.

2016 in Canada hopefully as well :D

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Vengeance said:
Still very happy I qualified as this was my 3rd IFPA and only the first time I qualified.

Anyway I could have gone further I think but I defeated myself, my biggest issue is never my skill level but my mental state. Once something goes wrong or I get riled up my game goes to shit and I end up defeating myself.

Anyway it was still a great tournament and I hope I will get invited again next year for Denver.

2016 in Canada hopefully as well :D

It comes in steps at that level I think (not that I or most any of us are at/near that level) .. you've accomplished a hell of alot in the last three years and I suspect as IFPA 4 and 5 get under your belt your state of mind will benefit from your previous experiences. I assume when you mention IFPA 2016 that you are hoping to host ? .. I guess that means that it would be consdiered part of the US hosting cycle rather than the Euro (and I guess that makes total sense as you did compete with the US in the team event) .. I hope that comes to pass as it would be an amazing event to see on Cdn soil ..

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Nope not a pipe dream, assuming everything planned in here:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=489&start=75

comes to fruition

Then yes IFPA will be coming to Canada, 2016 would be the earliest date possible, but might be too short of a time frame as I would still need to build up my collection a bit more to support it, would need to add another 20 games or so.

As for the facility, it was nice, the games played great, only a small selection were used of the over 100 machines in the building

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Luckydogg420 said:
Vengeance said:
would need to add another 20 games or so.

I'll lend my 4 to the cause if it means the championship comes to Canada.

Appreciate it, and it may come to that, when the champs were held at Todd's place in Seattle he borrowed like 30 games to host it.