• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

ONTARIO PINBALL LEAGUES DISCUSSION

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Re: MTL PUNK PINBALL LEAGUE

CFF is gonna be pissed you stole their logo ;)

cff_logo_180.jpg

But I cam curious:

What is the format?
How often will you be meeting?
Are you planning to get IFPA Sanction?
and if so will you be instituting the "Vengeance can't play rule?" like OPL, TCPL, and LOPL have done thus far :lol:

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real

Vengeance said:
CFF is gonna be pissed you stole their logo ;)

You see, that is an ugly logo.
MPPL Logo is BOSS.

What is the format - SECRET
How often will you be meeting - MONTHLY
Are you planning to get IFPA Sanction - NOT AT PRESENT
will you be instituting the "Vengeance can't play rule?" - YES :shock:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

Pharoah007 said:
OPL has a no Adam rule?

OPL since it is now IFPA sanctioned has a rule that states you can only participate in the playoffs if you attend 4 regular season league nights.

This prevents me from showing up on your playoffs, wining and get 25 WPPR points :) So hence the "Vengeance can't play" rule as there is no way I could make it to Ottawa 5 times in a year just so I could get a shot at the playoffs.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real

REVOLUTION said:
If you want your own discussion section just let me know. :) Good luck with the league.

Thanks Brock!

I don't think a discussion section is needed at the moment as most of our members don't post here (or anywhere for that matter).

I'll let you know if things change. :D

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Vengeance said:
Pharoah007 said:
OPL has a no Adam rule?

OPL since it is now IFPA sanctioned has a rule that states you can only participate in the playoffs if you attend 4 regular season league nights.

This prevents me from showing up on your playoffs, wining and get 25 WPPR points :) So hence the "Vengeance can't play" rule as there is no way I could make it to Ottawa 5 times in a year just so I could get a shot at the playoffs.

Adam why not run monthly or bi-monthly tournaments at your place (hell even run quarterly ones) .. they could replace the CotSB tournaments and provide the pts you are looking for.

I don't see any problems with leagues deciding that they want their playoffs to be for people that are actually in the league rather than people just parachuting in for points.

In Van City they seem to run at least 3 or 4 seperate tournaments during the year that are apart from the VRPA, and I realize that with the out building you will be doing something along those lines (at least I assume you will be) but even currently there are at least 4 or 5 topl locations that could easily support extra tournaments.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

SquidVicious said:
Adam why not run monthly or bi-monthly tournaments at your place (hell even run quarterly ones) .. they could replace the CotSB tournaments and provide the pts you are looking for.

I don't see any problems with leagues deciding that they want their playoffs to be for people that are actually in the league rather than people just parachuting in for points.

In Van City they seem to run at least 3 or 4 seperate tournaments during the year that are apart from the VRPA, and I realize that with the out building you will be doing something along those lines (at least I assume you will be) but even currently there are at least 4 or 5 topl locations that could easily support extra tournaments.

The main difference is I'm already responsible for everything WPPR point related for TOPL, O-Town Throwdown, Canadian Pinball Challenge, Ontario Provincial Championship, Toronto Launch Parties, and by association Canadian Pinball Championship.

So while I have plans to run more annual tourneys once my building is up and running at some point it gets silly that I keep having to be the one that is running everything and seems kind of point whorish.

The ideal situation is the one that is currently happening, my efforts to proliferate competitive pinball are taking hold which is awesome. TCPL, OPL, MPPL, LOPL, these are all great!

The frustrating part is that they all do everything they can to ensure no outside participation.

I do all I can already for competitive pinball and at some point I need other people to take up the mantle as well and try and create something for the competitive community as a whole rather then just for the locals.

I like being able to just be a participant rather then an organizer all the time....

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012

Vengeance said:
SquidVicious said:

The main difference is I'm already responsible for everything WPPR point related for TOPL, O-Town Throwdown, Canadian Pinball Challenge, Ontario Provincial Championship, Toronto Launch Parties, and by association Canadian Pinball Championship.

So while I have plans to run more annual tourneys once my building is up and running at some point it gets silly that I keep having to be the one that is running everything and seems kind of point whorish.

The ideal situation is the one that is currently happening, my efforts to proliferate competitive pinball are taking hold which is awesome. TCPL, OPL, MPPL, LOPL, these are all great!

The frustrating part is that they all do everything they can to ensure no outside participation.

I do all I can already for competitive pinball and at some point I need other people to take up the mantle as well and try and create something for the competitive community as a whole rather then just for the locals.

I like being able to just be a participant rather then an organizer all the time....

Right but only one of those is a league (TOPL) the rest are tournaments ... and I agree that you go beyond what should be expected of one guy within a region but there are a handful of other competitive players in the area and other locations (as I said there are at least 3-4 locations (more actually) in the topl group that have 8 or more machines so a tourney could aranged you just need to encourage one of the other competitive players to assist or organize it .. but to believe that people in a local league don't have a right to ask for participation in the league to be in the playoffs is too single minded (of course TOPL is an open playoff but as of now in the region that is exeception ... 3/4 leagues (and their members) are not of that mindset). That being said create a post looking for someone to run a pinbrawl .. if you believe people are excluding you than make it a low cost or no cost tournament with just pts on the line ... something like that might draw a more positive response.

As to outsiders not being welcomed .. I've never been anything but welcomed in TCPL because I'm a member in the league I'm not just there for the playoffs yest I don't live in the tri-cities (I know the Ottawa league has had members from Montreal as well) ... so I think it's more realistic to say that the league don't want someone sniping or parachuting in.

Hopefully one of the local comp players will step up and assist in getting other tourneys (because I believe that is more of what you are looking for) started.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

SquidVicious said:
but to believe that people in a local league don't have a right to ask for participation in the league to be in the playoffs is too single minded (of course TOPL is an open playoff but as of now in the region that is exeception ... 3/4 leagues (and their members) are not of that mindset).

Exactly TOPL is open, and think about this for a second, if by example there wasn't the possibility of someone like me or John jumping in for playoffs do you think that these leagues would have that rule?

As to outsiders not being welcomed .. I've never been anything but welcomed in TCPL because I'm a member in the league I'm not just there for the playoffs yest I don't live in the tri-cities (I know the Ottawa league has had members from Montreal as well) ... so I think it's more realistic to say that the league don't want someone sniping or parachuting in.

As for outsiders not being welcomed, I never said that, but the rules are structured in a way that favors locals. TOPL is 100% open and I believe that is the way things should be run, anyone at anytime can show up and play anywhere we are playing, no restriction. We do specific things in the league for people who do make the effort and attend (Most Improved, High Scores, Season Champ) but playoffs should be open for everyone. It's how you grow your league, cause even forget about out of towners trying to jump in, what about locals that can't make a Friday event, but might want to come to playoffs because it's on a weekend.

By imposing limits it only hurts the ability to grow and limits your audience.

Hopefully one of the local comp players will step up and assist in getting other tourneys (because I believe that is more of what you are looking for) started.

It's no secret I like to compete but I need a reason to make the effort. I'm not going to show up to a league night when I have my own local league that can fill the same void, but in the same way that the TCPL and OPL people show up to TOPL playoffs, because their is incentive to do so, I don't see why it shouldn't go the other way.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012

Vengeance said:
SquidVicious said:
but to believe that people in a local league don't have a right to ask for participation in the league to be in the playoffs is too single minded (of course TOPL is an open playoff but as of now in the region that is exeception ... 3/4 leagues (and their members) are not of that mindset).

Exactly TOPL is open, and think about this for a second, if by example there wasn't the possibility of someone like me or John jumping in for playoffs do you think that these leagues would have that rule?

yes I do .. leagues all over the USA and Europe use this rule this is why IFPA put the rule in .. it is a league playoff not an open tournament .. now if you are saying that leagues in Germany are putting the rule so that you and John don't fly over ... well I think that might be a bit of stretch. TOPL is the exception but of course it is what you prefer so aren't validating the desires of others. As an extended example TCPL doesn't have a location that could handle more than maybe 15 maybe 20 folks so part of it is also not expanding beyond your means.

As for outsiders not being welcomed, I never said that, but the rules are structured in a way that favors locals. TOPL is 100% open and I believe that is the way things should be run, anyone at anytime can show up and play anywhere we are playing, no restriction. We do specific things in the league for people who do make the effort and attend (Most Improved, High Scores, Season Champ) but playoffs should be open for everyone. It's how you grow your league, cause even forget about out of towners trying to jump in, what about locals that can't make a Friday event, but might want to come to playoffs because it's on a weekend.

See above same thing .. regualr tournaments should be open .. league playoffs are exactly that otherwise they should just be tournaments ... in TCPL 50% of the points go to reg season 50% go to the playoff champ (again something that IFPA is prefectly happy with). As regards to locals not being good with a Friday (or any day) but being good for playoffs .. that sucks but I think that is again giving more consideration to those that are active in the league .. there still are straight tournaments for people who by that nature would be tournament players (ie not active in league)

By imposing limits it only hurts the ability to grow and limits your audience.

We've had no problems with growth but we couldn't handle topl's numbers ... I'd say except for the elite players the regular joe would prefer to compete within his league (and he/she doesn't travel to outside tournaments) the tcpl base is prob 75-80% casual with two or maybe three players that travel or would travel to compete.
Look at pinburgh there are 10 topl guys 1 tcpl guy, 1 or 2 lopl guys (I think) and one opl guy .. the leagues are different plan and simple (not everyone wants a topl type league but I think it is an important entity within the region .. it is the competitive league and is known as such so if any league is 'open' I guess it makes sense it is topl.

It's no secret I like to compete but I need a reason to make the effort. I'm not going to show up to a league night when I have my own local league that can fill the same void, but in the same way that the TCPL and OPL people show up to TOPL playoffs, because their is incentive to do so, I don't see why it shouldn't go the other way.

Sure you could have gone to the Avengers launch in London but the Mississauga one was more convienent .. and perhaps other tournaments will happen and sub-regions within Southern Ontairo will hold open tournaments outside of their league tournaments (I'd be more than happy to assit) but rather than hammering on leagues that don't cater to your wishes as to how to run their leagues perhaps showing support for them (and with the Ontario regionals you are) and respecting their choices you'll gain a more favourable environment to for additonal efforts on their part. Pretty much any open tourney in S Ontario could offer pts and the more people in the tourney the more pts available afaik .. however to the best of my knowledge the pts are not at all related to the prize pool but rather the total number of participants. I preferred the LOPL approach to the launch to our own but I'm always on the side of less cash so I'm definitely baised that way.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

SquidVicious said:
Sure you could have gone to the Avengers launch in London

No I couldn't as I was running the one in Mississauga.

If it was on a different day or I wasn't running the Mississauga one I would have.

Also I take offence to you saying I am un-supportive of the other leagues, I have been nothing but helpful, there are any number of behind the scene questions that get asked of me by OPL, TCPL and LOPL during their inception and I was always more happy to answer any of their questions, provide suggestions, and gave them any and all resources I had at my disposal to ensure their success.

Just because I don't agree with their policies does not mean I am not supportive

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012

Vengeance said:
SquidVicious said:
Sure you could have gone to the Avengers launch in London

No I couldn't as I was running the one in Mississauga.

If it was on a different day or I wasn't running the Mississauga one I would have.

Also I take offence to you saying I am un-supportive of the other leagues, I have been nothing but helpful, there are any number of behind the scene questions that get asked of me by OPL, TCPL and LOPL during their inception and I was always more happy to answer any of their questions, provide suggestions, and gave them any and all resources I had at my disposal to ensure their success.

Just because I don't agree with their policies does not mean I am not supportive

Yes you are correct there and that was not my intent so I will apolgize if that is how you precieved my comment .. what I intended to say was that although you are very helpful and supportive of the leagues and pinball in the area in general you are also being single minded in how others desire to run their leagues ... there are many ways to do things not just a singular way and because it is done one way in topl does not mean that others choosing different methods/rules are in anyway doing things wrong for their purposes .. but you have also openly critized leagues for doing things in a way that you don't agree with .. that could also be considered a slight to those that are running those leagues as well

JeffM

Nov 27, 2012
London
Ok im going to chime in here my 2 cents. As far as the lopl league requiring x amount of visits for the tournament, we are a brand new league and along with that i would say 90%+ of our members have no real tournament experience so we would like to run it that way so people dont lose interest and the league falls apart. Its more of a way to see how our league works and what kind of skill everyone has. This is all very new to us on many levels. Possibly later down the road things may change depending on how the league itself feels on the issue. We have to do what is best for the league itself because no league is a no anyone rule

Also in adams defence he has been more then helpful in the forming of our league. Passing on a great deal of knowledge and insight, and we have borrowed heavily from topl rules and scoring. Thanks again for all the scoresheets to get us started. Sorry our launch was on the same night i would have liked to play both as well but ifpa wanted it that way.

Anyway thats just my 2 cents

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Gotta step to Adam's defense - every single time I've played competitively he's been behind the scenes in one form or another. All he's saying (as I read the thread) is that he'd like the opportunity to play as much as organize.

Also, on a side note - his hospitality if you're ever lucky enough to get out to his place is exceptional.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
brewmanager said:
Gotta step to Adam's defense - every single time I've played competitively he's been behind the scenes in one form or another. All he's saying (as I read the thread) is that he'd like the opportunity to play as much as organize.

Also, on a side note - his hospitality if you're ever lucky enough to get out to his place is exceptional.

I concur Adam is a good guy and he has done tons to help pinball both in Toronto and in the province that still does not mean that other leagues are wrong in not following the open tournament model ... it has nothing to do with character at all rather it is trying to understand why other opinions are not acceptable. Others are organizing these leagues some taking a great deal from the topl rule set .. others taking basically nothing but again if people are reading this as a comment on character they are reading more into it than is there .. and yes he is a very generous host ... to be clear the discussion is open/closed league playoffs (and the availability of said wpr pts I think it can be safely said that if wpr pts were not available Adam/John would probably not be interested in the league playoffs for leagues that they weren't participants in) .. that being said Adam the 12.5 pts that are available to the winner of the TCPL playoffs would not even register with you as your current lowest allowable score is 12.65 (only top 15 results count for wpr) so it would be just keeping pts away at that point.

On a side note with next years Ontario Championship it would seem important for members of the 'other' leagues to have opportunity to gather pts in their attempt to qualify as the majority of comp players are in topl

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
movingpictures said:
We are currently in the planning stages with the first meeting to be held in April.
Our roster is almost full, but we have room for one or two more members.
MPPL meetings will be held monthly.
T-Shirts will be made so we can let all the normal people know that we are pinball punks.
If you want to join our rowdy crew, get in touch.

Count me in Adam