• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Olympia Bowl - 2016 Hawkesbury Pinball Flea Fair

chris silver

Oct 30, 2013
Hawkesbury, On.
Well guys its a go!

2016 Hawkesbury Flea Fair June 3-5, 2016 (TBD)
Address: Olympia Bowl 1431 Lansdowne, Hawkesbury, ON K6A 1J5

The only question now is how long do you guys want it? I've been offered the facility and the grounds for the entire weekend. We can casually unload Friday, enjoy a full no stress Saturday and clear out at whatever comfortable hour on the Sunday and its all free. There are a couple hotels in the area along with a few campgrounds and we've been offered to park a few campers in the parking lot over night. The only thing the bowling alley and associated bar ask of us is to contribute by buying food and drinks (beers
icon_e_wink.gif
). The owners said they'd bring a bbq and do corn on the cob as well. If most of you prefer a one day event it will be June 4th. If the Toronto boys want to make a productive trip I'll pencil us down for the 3 days. House of Targ and North Star are both 1 hour drive away in opposite directions. I need feedback on what you guys want. This event is about us not the general public.

What it is: Simply, its a buy/sell/trade coin operated machines and parts flea market (bar and man cave related items welcome). Outside under 3 tents (10'x20') supplied by myself will be tables. If you have items to sell reserve some space (free). Inside the bar is a controlled entry section that can comfortably hold 20 pinball machines. A couple more machines can be placed in the main bar and however many you want to bring can be placed outside. If you just want to roll open the back of a truck and sit on the bumper by all means have at it.

Why it is: I just want us all to get together and socialize in regards to our collective passion. Canada needs more pinball and arcade game related events. Think about it. We are the people in Canada with these items and if we don't do these gatherings nobody will. There is interest amongst forum members of Pinball Revolution, MAACA, local operators, vendors and repair technicians. Its an opportunity to put a name to the face or see some old ones again. A lot of us have extra parts we don't need and don't want to throw out. Some people fabricate custom mods for their games and want a common ground to sell. Eventually all of us have a machine to sell or trade and what better way than to bring it to an event designed to do so.

A couple guys mentioned they'd bring a couple games for freeplay. I will bring Haunted House or Embryon. More freeplay games are welcomed and encouraged. The possibility of a tournament of some sort has been brought up.

The first year was held at my home and was quite successful. Fantastic people and good times. This year I'm planning bigger. If the turnout and participation is positive I'll aim even bigger next year. We choose what we want from our hobby.

Below are pictures of the controlled space in the bar overlooking the licensed patio.

So what do you guys think and what do you want?
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: kvoxx

chris silver

Oct 30, 2013
Hawkesbury, On.
Here's an update:

The flea market will take place on Saturday June 4th. Set up of the pinball machines inside whenever you feel like it Friday. Hang out, play some pin and drink some beers. Sunday we will still have machines set up and you can take them down whenever you choose. Zero stress.

I've received a lot of text messages regarding the flea fair from people intending on attending and what they want to bring. It would be good to see more posts to generate the interest of others. The forums have been a little too quiet lately and I feel this thread is a worthy contribution.

I've been talking with the City of Hawkesbury about the possibility of requiring some sort of permit. I'm not expecting issues.

icon_mrgreen.gif
Monty says he'll be in town Saturday evening to help with a head to head style tournament. A $5 entry fee will be collected to be distributed between the winners. I might put together some trophies.

icon_mrgreen.gif
I was talking with Rob the other day who expects to be down and I'll be accepting any Starburst prepaid orders for anyone and will hand them out personally. If he makes it I'd like to see him chill and socialize. It seems whenever I see him there is a counter between us.
icon_e_wink.gif

icon_mrgreen.gif
Andre Sicotte of Andre Sicotte Amusements based in Montreal has a Strikes and Spares set up in the bowling alley along with a few redemption games. He's old school and doesn't use the internet really and told me he will bring some empty cocktail cabinets for sale. Hopefully there will be some old school joysticks.

icon_mrgreen.gif
Mike of Pinball Medics will be in town with his crew. He will be bringing everybody's favourite candies (superbands, leds, levelers, playfields maybe, ect.). He will also be bringing some pins for our controlled area and hopefully some for sale in the bowling alley (uncontrolled area).

I encourage you guys to bring a pin and or some parts for sale/trade/tournament/freeplay. This is a non profit event and will only succeed with your participation. If it works we'll do it again next year and maybe on a bigger scale.

We can use 25 pinball machines comfortably. I will bring Embryon. There is room for a lot more but I don't think its necessary. As people formally state what they will bring I will update the top post with a list.

On a side note, I'd like Pinball Medics to put together some shirts with their logo on it. You can never have too many pinball shirts.
icon_e_wink.gif

Talk to me.

chris silver

Oct 30, 2013
Hawkesbury, On.
OK so we have approval from the city and the event will cost us NOTHING as long as no commercial activities are being held and no pinball related business has joined the group requiring a business license. Basically, we can do exactly what we wanted as long as we keep purchases from Starburst and Pinball Medics to prepay preorders.
Back to the point. Bring your parts and games for sale or trade. Please bring a game if you can to put on freeplay in the secure area. The room will have signs posted outside stating "Members of MAACA and Pinball Revolution Only". That includes you quiet lurkers who for some reason don't join the forums and are quiet members of our community. I would like to see 15 - 20 pins there.
I will bring a game to place in a general public accessible area (the bowling alley) allowing them to enjoy a bit of our hobby without interrupting our event. It would be great if we had a few more pins to place in there along with 3 in the main bar room.
Please remember without you this event cannot work. It has the ability to grow every year. I will not speak for anyone other than people who have informally confirmed, but if you will "loosely" commit to bringing a pin it would be great. If you can state it in this thread and it will be added to a list I'll fabricate.

I'll post information about hotels, campgrounds and B&Bs in the area shortly.

chris silver

Oct 30, 2013
Hawkesbury, On.
Obviously there is more activity on this sister thread at maaca due to the location. The flea fair is going to happen and its going to be great. We're aiming for a Canadian mini Allentown feel that will grow.

I decided to remove the post listing the pins and individuals bringing them for now. I don't want anyone to feel cornered or committed. You can just read through the thread and see the possibilities.
The awesome thing is the unloading of pins is a 5 foot walk from your tailgate to the door and the door is the same level as the ground. Easy peasy.

I will be at the bowling alley Friday afternoon 12:30 pm to set tents up and drop off a couple pins. Anyone is welcome by at that point. The flea market will start at 10:00 Saturday morning and last as long as you feel like leaving your stuff out. Sometime late afternoon Monty will select a few machines for tournament play. The rest will remain available. The owner of the bar said he will do a bbq and corn roast. Saturday's festivities will close when the bar closes. ;) I'll be in 9:00 Sunday morning to hang out. There is no hurry to leave so you all can take your time and enjoy the day.

I have mentioned before that we are welcome to have a few people stay in the parking lot over night. The only thing I ask of all is to respect their liquor license and keep the drinking to the bar and patio.
As promised here are some places to stay within 5-15 minutes of Olympia Bowl:

Quality Inn Hawkesbury
Address: 1575 Tupper Street, Hawkesbury, ON K6A 3T5
Phone (613) 632-5941

Stephanie's Motel
Address: 1686 ON-34, Hawkesbury, ON K6A 2R2
Phone (613) 632-2783

Cranberry House Bed & Breakfast
Address: 2786 ON-34, Hawkesbury, ON K6A
Phone (613) 636-0127

Voyageur Provincial Park
Address: Chute-à-Blondeau, ON K0B 1B0