• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

# of plays

Paul

Feb 21, 2013
NewBrunswick
Is 3250 life time plays alot for a pin ? How much does the number of plays effect price ? Is it more condition than plays that matter? What's your thought. Thanks

Smokezz

Apr 29, 2019
Kingsville, ON
Is 3250 life time plays alot for a pin ? How much does the number of plays effect price ? Is it more condition than plays that matter? What's your thought. Thanks

IMO, it's meaningless. Lots of people have a bad first ball, start over time! As Luch says, condition is all that matters. You can have a machine with 50 plays that someone was careless with, used the wrong type of cleaner on the playfield. Nice ding in the cabinet.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Also meaningless because on most machines it can be reset - even Spike 2. Hell my SW Prem was resettable until one of the last code updates(the lifetime counter was only recently added). Anything older than Spike 2 is definitely resettable.

CGC and JJP I don't think they can be reset but not 100% sure.

Perry L

Mar 17, 2016
In the hills Mono
Hey Paul , I have a Metallica that was from the US with over 24000 plays… she was a work horse and was properly shopped when I bought it and it plays and looks as nice as any of my new pins.

Attachments

• 2B25855F-ECA2-4A5E-A3B6-A92A747E3648.jpeg
    2B25855F-ECA2-4A5E-A3B6-A92A747E3648.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 29

Ponzie

Oct 3, 2017
Ottawa
Hey Paul , I have a Metallica that was from the US with over 24000 plays… she was a work horse and was properly shopped when I bought it and it plays and looks as nice as any of my new pins.
The Pinball shed is looking great Perry!

Reactions: Perry L

KING BLING !

May 12, 2020
Ottawa
Initially number of plays was irrelevant to me up until when I went to sell a recent made STERN. I found most asking me number of plays and use it as a tool to then renegotiate. Let's say I am in the market for a 2020 Corvette.....Luckily I find a pair both same price, condition and options....one has 100 km's/plays and the other has 10,000km's/plays.....which one are you going go for?

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Now imagine if you could reset the odometer on that Corvette. Would the mileage actually matter?

KING BLING !

May 12, 2020
Ottawa
Now imagine if you could reset the odometer on that Corvette. Would the mileage actually matter?
I don't know if the majority of owners know how to or would possibly do that even if they knew how to? Perhaps I am naive...more then likely am...that being said I can think of multiple situations wherein someone is selling a pin with high plays says its meaningless only to turn around and say the opposite when it comes to buying a machine themselves.

Smokezz

Apr 29, 2019
Kingsville, ON
There is a huge difference between a car and a pinball machine. /boggle. And nope, when I bought my Deadpool I didn't even ask the number of plays.

KING BLING !

May 12, 2020
Ottawa
There is a huge difference between a car and a pinball machine. /boggle. And nope, when I bought my Deadpool I didn't even ask the number of plays.
Agreed there is quite a difference between the two but I think I have made my point. If not agree to disagree. Previously I could care less about number of plays however I am forced now to in that I am asked by the major majority of potential buyers when selling a newer machine "how many play are there" and it does indeed dictate price point with some buyers. Perhaps I am the only person to experience this phenomenon but I doubt it. Secondly if number of plays is irrelevant to buyers why are sellers now posting number of plays in there for sale listing unless it helps dictate a selling price point.

Joker19

Aug 1, 2021
Gatineau
Something to add, setting changes are also important. 500 plays with the ball eject at max/default power vs 2500 plays at a low power, the shooter lane will be better with the low setting.

If someone has put plastic protectors/scoop protectors, clean/wax the playfield, change the balls often, also a plus.

At the end of the day, for sure a pin with less than 100 plays has a greater potential of being closer to new condition vs a machine that has 5000 plays; however, if the owner is meticulous and takes care of their machines, the saying condition is king is always key.

Getting videos, proper pictures or just go see the pin is always the best way to go.

Reactions: KING BLING !

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
In my opinion, if someone uses the number of plays as a negotiating tactic then they likely aren't someone I want to deal with. It is just a sign that it will be one of those long drawn out nickel and dimeing conversations. This isn't Shark Tank, I don't need to know the reasons you're in or out, I just need to know how much you want to pay.

Reactions: movingpictures

Murphelman

Jul 19, 2017
Ottawa
www.twitch.tv
IMO, it's meaningless. Lots of people have a bad first ball, start over time!
Newer Sterns will display the number of balls played which is a better indicator of the amount of play a game has.

I have a horrible habit of restarting games all the time so plays to me is not the best indicator.

Like most have said condition is king as well as regular maintenance. I like to take care of my games as best I can.

I have a Sword of Rage pro and Iron Maiden pro with day one playfield protectors and "thousands" of plays each. They have been very regularly maintained and play as close to new as you can get.