• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

No Longer Looking

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Vengeance said:
Well they don't have much choice now, but the violence was the biggest issue for them.

How far are you from the "new" goal? This could take a while longer. There will probably be a couple more releases by the time the new goal is reached. Star Trek is next, if they're passing on the ones I mentioned for violence, I'm guessing Trek will have that same intensity.

WOZ would probably fit them nicely but that is a lot more than a Stern Pro. hmmmm

Have you asked Starburst about any buried treasure in the warehouse? maybe there are some forgotten about nibs back there.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
One idea for WOZ.... but this will only work next year after more fundraising and WOZ production has put ones available in general supply.

JJP is approached (possibly through Starburst) to see if a discounted WOZ can be acquired for donation to Sick Kids. You work with your contacts at Sick Kids to arrange some press through their Media Relations department... pictures in the paper of kids playing WOZ, city news, etc... So, WOZ is acquired at a price the fundraising can manage and JJP gets some nice press in return. You buy the machine at Stern Pro pricing possibly, or as close to it as possible.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
frolic said:
One idea for WOZ.... but this will only work next year after more fundraising and WOZ production has put ones available in general supply.

JJP is approached (possibly through Starburst) to see if a discounted WOZ can be acquired for donation to Sick Kids. You work with your contacts at Sick Kids to arrange some press through their Media Relations department... pictures in the paper of kids playing WOZ, city news, etc... So, WOZ is acquired at a price the fundraising can manage and JJP gets some nice press in return. You buy the machine at Stern Pro pricing possibly, or as close to it as possible.

This sounds like the best method to me. Go right to the source and ask for a discount for sick kids. See if something can be had at cost. As far as theme goes I would have to assume most kids wouldn't even know what wizard of oz was (its from the 30s haha). I would also have to assume they wouldn't get too deep into the rules of any game. Anything thats new and cheap would do the trick. Not that woz wouldn't do the trick as I'm sure it would, just saying that if it's twice the price it probably won't create twice the fun.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I assume this is more of a blanket policy rather then specific to pinball, but I can see their point, seriously you talking thousands of sicks kids common into contact with this thing any number of them that could have a compromised immune system.

This actually comes up every year when Penny Arcade does their Child's Play drive. They buy a ton of video games etc for children's hospitals, but again, they can't take any used stuff, so it's done mostly though Amazon or cash donations.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
We are already working direct with JJP, but SKH turned their nose up at WOZ first time around as well.

Something about the witch and the game being prejudicial.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Vengeance said:
Something about the witch and the game being prejudicial.

omg. If WOZ fails, what the heck do these kids play with there? Like, in general? no wonder they need a pinball, they must be dying of boredom.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Heighway has that Full Throttle coming, but there's bikini girl in it.

They probably can't watch Disney movies because the villains are all prejudicial in some way.

Everything else that's known to be coming won't work. Man, what a tough deal.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Turned their noses up on WOZ? I don't mean to be harsh here but maybe it's time to turn your noses up on them??? This is really getting silly.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Well, the issue with the used games is for real, so you may as well keep fundraising until there's a NIB collected. Then you offer what's available then. If it's next year, that could be several different new titles.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Money has already been taken in, business have donated items that were sold and the funds are being used for this purpose.

At this point in the game, it is what it is, and we just have to work with it.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Adam, any frustration felt now will melt away when we see some photos of that pin with kids around it. Just have to soldier on!

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
It just doesn't seem like they want a pin in there if they keep turning aside offers for a free (and fully maintained) $7K+ WOZ or new Stern. I would think WOZ would be a perfect fit with the kiddies.

Have you asked them what type of theme would be suitable? I could see Shrek but I bet those NIB are looooooong gone. There is no care bears pinball. Ahem, but then again I guess the villan No Heart from care bears can be scary too. :FP:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
They wanted a WCS

They wanted a generic theme, not a licensed title, something non violent, and something that all ages of children could relate too as well as parents.

WCS fit the bill but they didn't tell us about the no used items thing till this week.

If someone has a Striker Extreme sitting NIB somewhere I'm sure they would have no issue with that at all.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
hmmm. NIB "non licensed theme". might turn into a mission impossible.

If they literally won't accept anything you are offering, and there is nothing on the horizon, then possibly I suggest you just make a cash donation to the hospital, or if they have a separate entertainment fund or something and give them what was raised on behalf of topl. that would be less than ideal since the spirit was to spread pinball but at least all the money and items donated are benefiting the hospital that has been promoted so you are honouring all the donors.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
At this point like I said we are going back to the drawing board and saying it's these games or nothing and they can pick from that.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Do they still make any of the "home edition" pinball machines? Might be able to find one of those... Just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 4

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
if the deal goes south, plenty of kids charities to make the same offer to. boys & girls clubs, ymca, etc.