• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

New Old Black Knight

lothian

Dec 23, 2021
NC
My kids presented me with a Black Knight (1980) for Christmas, Obviously pinball machine ownership includes maintenance; thus joining this forum completes my first bullet as a new owner of an old machine.

The thing plays but it has issues, of course. I'll itemize and investigate problems as they present. I have the Instruction Booklet, Operators Handbook, and Schematic Diagrams. Hopefully most problems are mundane and the various Williams' documentation provide resolution; I'll use online resources for any vexations that stump me,

I suspect much of the playability and weird game logic issues are due to dirty (leaf) contact switches, and that's the first area I'll work on. Sluggish and/or intermittent flipper operation, loud 60Hz hum at power-on, dead Magna-Save widgets, et cetera, I'll take on after some research. I'll likely remove and rebuild each of the 15 solenoid actuators as a casual activity when time permits. And one day... I really, really want to install a new hardtop and perform a full cosmetic fresh with a few tasteful mods.

Anywho...
I'm a child of the 80's. Black Knight was my favorite pinball machine. Tempest was my favorite video game. I now own both, much to the bemused chagrin of my spouse. Hopefully, finding space for this thing in my house will be my biggest problem with it.

Attachments

• BK80.jpg
    BK80.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I would think Pinside will be a greater help in the long run if you are (NC) USA based.
Have fun with it.
My brother started out with a BK, magna save was a great option back in the day.
Post some pics.

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
That's the right attituded to have about owning a pinball machine. It may need work but taking your time and doing a bit of learning along the way while fixing it up can be very rewarding. Fortunately you have a popular game there which has a lot of support when it comes to knowledge and parts. You might want to watch Ronnie's repair videos on BK as he is quite verbose and you may pick up some insights into what could be going on with your machine along the way.