• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FS Mirror Blades with Blade Protectors - Stern Spiker 2 - $60

gweeto052

Nov 12, 2023
Hamilton
Being a maker and getting into this wonderful hobby I've been looking for different ways to mod my tables.

One of the mods worth making more of and selling are my mirror blades made from 1/16" mirrored acrylic. Selling would help me recoup the cost spent on material.
I am not sure of other Stern tables but mine has very tight clearance from the playfield to the side walls. To protect the blades from the playfield scratching them I designed my own version of Blade Protectors out of very thin Styrene which holds it folded shape pretty well. The protectors included will not have that orange tape, I just put it on to see how it looked.

I designed my mirror blades to cover the backbox hinge when mounted to have a better final look. I don't plan on removing my backbox anyway and doesn't effect folding the backbox. Cutting a hole could be an option.
I also am using 3M double sided tape to mount them as well. Using the screw method on the bottom like other blades didn't work well with acrylic.

Not sure if it is noticeable but the mirror in the picture is my prototype and the one I sell will have a nicer finished edge.

Pictures are named with the titles describing the installation.

Pickup is in Hamilton, ON

Attachments

• 1 mirror.jpg
    1 mirror.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 2 mirror.jpg
    2 mirror.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 3 blade front.jpg
    3 blade front.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 4 blade back.jpg
    4 blade back.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 5 mount blade over threaded bolt.jpg
    5 mount blade over threaded bolt.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 6 Use masing tape to level the blade.jpg
    6 Use masing tape to level the blade.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 7 remove double sided tape backing and press.jpg
    7 remove double sided tape backing and press.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 8 remove blade film.jpg
    8 remove blade film.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 9 use blade protectors when lifting field.jpg
    9 use blade protectors when lifting field.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 10 styrene blade protectors.jpg
    10 styrene blade protectors.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 48

dnaman

Oct 1, 2014
London, Canada
I may give these a go at some point but the next pin that I do, I will pull out the playfield and sand down the PF sides a bit. Even if I can angle it inwards a tad, I figure that this has to help.

There is nothing worse than installing mirror blades and scratching them, or with a decal set, tearing them.