• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Learned Something About Switches Today

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Well today I made a rookie mistake, hoping others can learn from it. I don't come from any kind of electrical/mechanical background whatsoever, so if you're in the same boat this might be useful for you.

I had a funny issue with my Johnny Mnemonic tonight after I replaced a flakey "launch ball" button switch. When I started the game, it would feed a ball into the shooter lane and as soon as I pushed the launch ball button it worked fine. On ball two and three however, the balls would launch automatically without having to press the "launch" button.

I thought this was a strange issue so I re-examined the switch and made sure I had wired it correctly, and confirmed it was wired EXACTLY the way the old switch was wired.

I went into the diagnostics and it immediately told me to check switch 11, launch button. Hmm. The switch edge test showed this switch closed, and when I pushed the button, it would open. Exactly opposite to what it should do. After I realized this I removed the switch and took a closer look. This is what I discovered.

6a7e4uva.jpg

Although I had removed the wires and attached them to the same leads on the new switch, the internal workings of the new switch was not the same. This is clearly labeled on the side of the switch, which I didn't realize before installing it. Hopefully this will save someone a couple of minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Good find-sounds like the difference between a Normally Open and Normally Closed switch. Just so happens that different microswitches are set up differently I suppose :)