• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Jurassic Park Home Pin

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
Agreed… best looking Home Pin to date! For the price they’re sure to be asking it won’t interest me, but the ironic part is if it was on location I’d put quarters in it.

Reactions: Ponzie

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Meh:
- Particle board cab (think Ikea).
- 1 tiny speaker in the backbox none in cabinet (Many complaints from previous PINS)
- screen too small to be of any use (many complaints from previous PINs)
- limited code and mechs
- expensive for what it is

I'd rather pay 2k$ more and get the real thing.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Agreed… best looking Home Pin to date! For the price they’re sure to be asking it won’t interest me, but the ironic part is if it was on location I’d put quarters in it.
No you wouldn't. No coin door/mech/hardware or software to support coin op.

I will say it LOOKS nice.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
The price seems insane, but then again, the pro msrp is up to 6899 for Godzilla, so 4500 might be a bargain now? Still, I think it's a weird middle ground. If someone is willing to spend 4500 they're probably willing to spend more to get a full size pro. If it was 1500, that's into Costco impulse buy/high end toy territory, but I'll bet that's even past the BOM for this these days.

Still, it looks OK for what it is. More interesting at first glance than the Transformers one was at any rate.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
It still suffers from the homepin wide open lower pf.
Would a spinning disc have killed them?
Just no real feature budget.
My Heavy Metal cost more than my Pro, and my Pro is by far a better play.

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
d 4500 they're probably willing to spend more to get a full size pro. If it was 1500, that's into Costco impulse buy/high end toy territory, but I'll bet that's even past the BOM for this these days.

Still, it looks OK for what it is. More interesting at first glance than the Transformers one was at a

I had the Transformers "PIN" - it was ok but this looks much better.

DMD, full size playfield and close to normal sized cabinet make it much more interesting. A mechanical dino in a home pin - ok! Shots and gameplay look very decent also.

Not for everyone but I appreciate the effort - Theme should sell for Christmas if they have supply.

ritewhereiwant2b

Dec 22, 2013
Oakville
I think it is a ridiculous price for less than a Pro.

I just bought my first EM from 1976 (Card Whiz) and did so because it was the first pin that I loved as a teenager. Before buying it, I thought I would be very underwhelmed by the game play. Now that its been in the house for 10 days I have found I am loving the game play and is a nice change from the newer pins I have. Point is, you can buy 2 or 3 EMs (or 1 Bally/Williams) for the price of this lower than base model JP.

One further thing, I have found if you buy right (and prems and LEs are part of my strategy) you can flip the machine $500+/- what you bought it for and buy another one and gain access to the best machines that pinball has to offer. I keep 3 to 4 pins in the house, but have had 15 over the last 10 years applying this strategy and have met some great buyers and sellers (mostly from here) through the years. If you buy this JP home pin, I don't really see much of a resale market for it and I think you are running the risk of getting stuck with it or losing your shirt - but, time will only tell...

Last edited:

Corrie

Oct 2, 2021
Mississauga, Ontario
I think these have to appeal to the casual market who don't really care or know about real pinball. People who are not rich enough to drop $8-$10k without thinking, but can easily drop $4k for a toy that impresses guests and the kids.

I saw the Star Wars home pin in a $2million house's real estate pictures. They had the typical bar and billiards and a pin fits right in with that.
If you browse some of these arcade resellers that have a storefront they are selling the cheap chinese 60 in 1 mame cabinets for thousands of dollars. These are people that are older now and have a bit of money and get hit by the nostalgia factor of being able to play pac-man and donkey kong and they drop $2500 not knowing what they bought is worth like $500 tops. but they don't really seem to care, they're not the type to tinker and go through settings and fix components, they just want to turn it on and have it work.

I've been looking for my first pin lately and even though I've been collecting arcade games for a while a newer pin is a whole new level of price. Every time I looked at the listings for machines that damn Star Wars home edition stuck out like a sore thumb because of its price. I must have looked at it 10 times to convince myself it wasn't what I really wanted.
I can see a lot of casuals still gravitating to these machines even if the price saving isn't as deep as some might want or expect.

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
I think these have to appeal to the casual market who don't really care or know about real pinball. People who are not rich enough to drop $8-$10k without thinking, but can easily drop $4k for a toy that impresses guests and the kids.

I saw the Star Wars home pin in a $2million house's real estate pictures. They had the typical bar and billiards and a pin fits right in with that.
If you browse some of these arcade resellers that have a storefront they are selling the cheap chinese 60 in 1 mame cabinets for thousands of dollars. These are people that are older now and have a bit of money and get hit by the nostalgia factor of being able to play pac-man and donkey kong and they drop $2500 not knowing what they bought is worth like $500 tops. but they don't really seem to care, they're not the type to tinker and go through settings and fix components, they just want to turn it on and have it work.

I've been looking for my first pin lately and even though I've been collecting arcade games for a while a newer pin is a whole new level of price. Every time I looked at the listings for machines that damn Star Wars home edition stuck out like a sore thumb because of its price. I must have looked at it 10 times to convince myself it wasn't what I really wanted.
I can see a lot of casuals still gravitating to these machines even if the price saving isn't as deep as some might want or expect.

I started back with pins and bought a used Transformers Home. It's a good game and I have played the Star Wars Home and it's even better.

I honestly think the only downside might be the resale - buying a new one the resale be a bit lower vs a Pro. That said, the market has shifted dramatically to home use and there is a strong market for lower priced machines. I had people fighting to buy my Transformers.

Last edited:

dr.nybble

Nov 28, 2014
Ottawa
For everyone who thinks these are overpriced, show me another NIB machine for $4700.

The Fathom remake, another single-level machine, is $9000.

Let's just say it's no more overpriced than anything else.

Reactions: kool1

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
For everyone who thinks these are overpriced, show me another NIB machine for $4700.

The Fathom remake, another single-level machine, is $9000.

Let's just say it's no more overpriced than anything else.
Your comment is not exactly accurate. You used USD for the Home Pin and CAD for the Fathom. At least be honest in your comparison.

Fathom classic is $8725 CAD
JP Pro is about $8100 CAD
JP PIN is about $5700 CAD

those prices don't include taxes or shipping it's just retail price.

75% of full price for pro is pretty steep when you consider the lack of features (sound, screen, mechs) and the particle board cab.

dr.nybble

Nov 28, 2014
Ottawa
I forgot about Fathom classic, not sure anyone ordered one :)
I was thinking about the $8995 Mermaid edition.

The other way to think about it, is you are paying 47% more for a Pro. It's at least in the ballpark of "fairly" priced.

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
I forgot about Fathom classic, not sure anyone ordered one :)
I was thinking about the $8995 Mermaid edition.

The other way to think about it, is you are paying 47% more for a Pro. It's at least in the ballpark of "fairly" priced.

I will watch the stream tonight - It's a substantial discount to a Pro for sure.

Have room for one more machine right now so my brain is always working lol.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
I have 18 "new" machines, including a Heavy Metal. IMO the Heavy Metal easily holds it's own against any Pro, Premium or LE model I own. I think the Star Wars Home Pin is the best bang for the buck on the market, (new or used) and if it wasn't exactly the same playfield as Heavy Metal I would buy one immediately. I don't think more "stuff" on the playfield necessarily makes a better game.