• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Is this price high?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
For a Centaur II I would think so. I think powerslave listed his Centaur for $2400 a few months ago.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Always up to the buyer to decide for price. Availability, condition, price, and desire are all factors. (+ distance)

Centaur has been in the $2500+ range for a while for a very nice example. Centaur - 3700 units. Centaur II - 1550 units.
At $2500 for a nice unit, I personally keep passing on these. For modern perspective, the rumour is 5000+ units for lotr.

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
How blue is the sky?

I gave up on pinball prices a few years ago. I can't make any sense of them. Huge demand, people with deep pockets and only overpriced and confusing versions (IMHO) currently being made.

My rule of thumb... I really want the game, I have to just pay that bit extra for it.

I am just lucky there are not a lot of games on my want list anymore. :D

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
The short answer to your question is, since it is listed on Pinside, then yes, it is priced too high. I have been getting a kick lately from watching pins change hands at higher prices than they go for in Canada.

The only significant thing this machine has going for it is the repro playfield. Since they have been going for insane prices ( north of $1K ) then this is the reason for the almost $3K price tag. If you were holding onto your own repro playfield already then you wouldn't even dream of buying someone else's refurbed machine since you know they probably added $1500 for the new playfield.

To give you some perspective, I have a CII, and when I get it working 100% ( presently has some sound issues ) and decide to put it on the block, it will be for somewhere between $1200 and $1500, depending on what I end up putting into it. If I decide to touchup and clearcoat the playfield, then it might climb to $1700, but that's it.

Monkeybug is right by intimating there is no universal definition of the word "deal", but I think it is safe to say that for you, sitting here in Canada, and paying an extra 13% (i.e.) $400 at the border, this pin is no deal. Things don't become "deals" just because we really want them and/or are willing to pay practically anything for them.