• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

WTB Gorgar speech board

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
Anyone have a working speech board for Gorgar...just had mine professionally redone...lasted a few games and same issue with static, no speech. It's like it's st 1/100th volume...the amp chip was not replaced. He put in new roms and it worked, but now back to same issue . I sold the game and guy wants to pick up next weekend ..time is if the essence lol Thanks !

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
Alternatively can anyone tell me where I can get the required amp chip ? I cant make out the writing on it, thanks
It would be a TDA2002. I just checked and all I have are incompatible TDA2030A's. You may be able to use a TDA2003 as well but you need to confirm this. If you touch the amp itself and you get a hum it's probably still working. The problem may be in where the speech gets mixed in with the other game sound.

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
Thanks will try the touch idea..I actually have a couple 2002 tda s ...I'll keep you posted lol....Thank you !
It would be a TDA2002. I just checked and all I have are incompatible TDA2030A's. You may be able to use a TDA2003 as well but you need to confirm this. If you touch the amp itself and you get a hum it's probably still working. The problem may be in where the speech gets mixed in with the other game sound.

ToMMy

Dec 18, 2018
Orillia, ON
Hi, since the sounds all work except the speech there will not be any problems with the TDA2002 audio amplifier.
Same amp is used for both sounds & speech.

I worked on this sound / speech board set recently as it had missing speech due to a couple bad speech roms. The old original masked roms with the brittle, broken & oxidised pins are notorious for failing . Replaced them with a fresh set of TMS2532 EPROM's and all the sounds were back. Replaced the main +12V filter cap too for added value & protection.
So, either one of the op-amps has gone bad (U3 specifically, an MC1458P) or the CVDS speech chip has up & failed.

Brent

Reactions: Fleetwood mIkea

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
Thanks will try the touch idea..I actually have a couple 2002 tda s ...I'll keep you posted lol....Thank you !
I'm not seeing a 2002 chip on the speech board , or even the sound board..I think it's the 2 1458 p on the speech board...
Hi, since the sounds all work except the speech there will not be any problems with the TDA2002 audio amplifier.
Same amp is used for both sounds & speech.

I worked on this sound / speech board set recently as it had missing speech due to a couple bad speech roms. The old original masked roms with the brittle, broken & oxidised pins are notorious for failing . Replaced them with a fresh set of TMS2532 EPROM's and all the sounds were back. Replaced the main +12V filter cap too for added value & protection.
So, either one of the op-amps has gone bad (U3 specifically, an MC1458P) or the CVDS speech chip has up & failed.

Brent
I ordered some..1458s..the game still speaks buy ultra low volume..