• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Golden Tee Console vs Golden Tee Emulation

ritewhereiwant2b

Dec 22, 2013
Oakville
One of the games that draws me to getting an arcade console is the Golden Tee franchise. A couple of questions:
1) does a Golden Tee Emulation come close to the quality/play-ability of a dedicated used Golden Tee Console?
2) Is there a Golden Tee Emulation/version that you would recommend over all others?

Thanks

Corrie

Oct 2, 2021
Mississauga, Ontario
I played the Golden Tee Fore! complete series for a while using MAME but it never felt quite right. It was fun, but I did end up picking up a newer unit and upgrading to 2021. The difference is night and day. PLaying online with stats is great and the consistency on the trackball is a lot better.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
Arcade1up makes a "home" 3/4 arcade machine version. I have it. It's pretty good. Waaaaaaay cheaper then the real deal and they are just hitting store shelves now, (after being "out of print" for a number of years).
:)

Pinpickle

Oct 5, 2021
Oakville
I’m looking for GT but don’t want to drop $5k on a home Version looked at 1up but it’s 1999 software. Do they make a GT multicade 2015+? Without going homemade?

Corrie

Oct 2, 2021
Mississauga, Ontario
I’m looking for GT but don’t want to drop $5k on a home Version looked at 1up but it’s 1999 software. Do they make a GT multicade 2015+? Without going homemade?

Nope. GT stayed on that 1999 engine until 2006 when they went to a new engine that has physical DRM on it. As far as I know it's never been emulated or cracked as every cabinet has to be called in to I.T to register and activate.
All of the multicade and arcade 1ups you can buy will stop at the 2006 Fore! series because it can be emulated on MAME.

After 2006 it went to the Live series which is online with stat tracking, contests etc. If you don't care about playing online your best bet is to try and find a 2007 or newer system. It will just be the single game and will likely cost more than the multicade/1up stuff but it will be legit and capable of being upgraded to the newest live version if the hardware is from about 2010 or newer.

Your last option is to get Golden Tee Go. It's a tabletop unit with a small monitor in it and and HDMI output. It is identical hardware wise to the golden tee live series but but is offline only. It's supposed to be going online this year though.
The problem with GT Go is that it's still like $3000 and you probably can't order it right now until the 2.0 version has a production run.

Pinpickle

Oct 5, 2021
Oakville
Never heard of the Go version. Looks great. It would be neat to travel with it. I’m sure a stand will be developed and then you would have the best of both worlds. Thanks for this!