• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Favourite Feature

chris silver

Oct 30, 2013
Hawkesbury, On.
After reading that fantastic Star Gazer thread it got me thinking about my favourite feature in a pinball machine. Everyone has something they look for when buying a pin. I have a buddy that hates games without inlanes and he needs at least 1 pop bumper. To each their own.

The one thing that gets me every time is a well placed horseshoe. I know they really don't pay out well but I love connecting to one just right.

What's you fav? What can't you live without?

Reactions: WARLOCK

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Not sure if my top feature, but first thing to come to mind is a spinner.

So satisfying to rip a spinner just right

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
I was going to write the same thing, love in-line drop targets. I like shooting captive balls too, Theatre of Magic, Demolition Man, Centaur etc.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Flippers. ;) But I love drops. Games like WPT I'm in heaven playing.

I really like tight shots too though. The x2 RIOT shot on TWD is one of my favourites.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I agree with the horseshoe. It's an underused and usually undervalued element. My SoF has one right up close and it actually has a huge bearing on the value of the upper playfield drop targets. Some of my Sterns like Nine Ball and the incoming Ali have them too. The one on Cheetah is killer due to the closer upper flipper.

I always wanted to like vari-targets, but they never seem to feel all that great to hit.
Captive balls on the other hand are awesome! I love any type of newton or captive ball effect. Some feel really great and, when combined with great audio in newer games (thinking IJ), the feeling of really smacking a good newton ball shot is pure heaven.

I also love drop targets that can be swept. Thinking Space Shuttle, Quicksilver and other classic Stern.

Roto-targets on some EMs are also great. The fan type like Spin Out or Buckaroo are my fave.

And yes, spinners all day long.

I think I've listed just about every major playfield feature now :)

Unlike your buddy though, I can totally get into games with zero inlanes and no pops. Lots of my EMs have no inlanes and require great nudging... and I loved my Space Station. Shadow has no pops and it's a fantastic game. In fact, I tend not to like pops because they rarely do anything good except just bang around the ball for a few seconds. At least on older machines where they were placed in unique locations, there was a lot of strategy on how to play off the pop bumpers to help hit switches or drop targets that were otherwise hard to reach. Stern Stars, Joker Poker, Meteor, Frontier/Eight Ball all come immediately to mind. But, on most modern games, I could take them or leave them.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
The rotating island on Gilligan's Island is a great toy, but is specific to one game; I think the OP is looking for more generic features.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Again, specific to one game, but I like the little wireframe circuit in Rollergames. It sends the balls around just at the right time to distract me, or my opponent.

I also like the hilariously wild "Catch Up" feature that Gottlieb has in some games that allows a seriously underscoring player to catch up to their opponent(s). A mode you definitely turn off for Tournament play (and that drives tournament level players mad!), but one that I find gets me laughing every time.