• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Earthshaker Williams System 11 solenoid issues +25v

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
Currently working on a friends Earthshaker and I am encountering a bit of a weird one:

All 3 pop bumpers will not fire and the shaker motor is lifeless.

I thought for sure, this is a fuse/ getting power to the coils issue. They are all connected to the +25V special solenoid circuit on the Aux. driver Board.

Turns out there is 37-38V at each coil. So I thought, no problem, I will short the other side of the solenoid lug to a ground cable to verify it fires and chase the ground/cpu side of things. Turns out, when I ground the coils, nothing happens!

Four questions:

1) WTF? Does this mean all 3 coils have shorted? I have not seen this before. Everything has the correct fuse values.
2) I'm supposed to have +25V at the coils. Instead I have + 37V. I checked and I have +37V off the transformer. Is it possible that the transformer has shorted and also cooked all 3 coils? Will the transformer being off-spec be enough to cause damage? Do I need a new transformer, everything else works fine?
3) If 2 is true, why the hell are the fuses not popping? There a no less than 3 fuses prior to the jet bumpers (two on the boards in series and one under the playfeild)
4) Am I grounding coils wrong? If I have +37V on the Red-White lug, I should be able to connect the Blue lug straight to ground to get the coil fire right? (take the CPU out of the mix).

I'm sure I'll figure it out and I don't doubt I am missing something. Just thought I would put it out in the universe to see if I am missing something obvious. I am used to WPC, this is my first system 11, so maybe things work different.

**Just re-reading this, I realized I did not meter out the jumper cable, so that could be the problem** I will try again tonight.

Thanks in advance.

ToMMy

Dec 18, 2018
Orillia, ON
There are these little white or biege colored with a black stripe zero ohm jumpers on the aux driver. J1, J2, etc. They look 1/4 watt resistors but are zero ohms.
Check each one to see if they have gone open.
Had the exact same thing with a Taxi recently.

Brent

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
There are these little white or biege colored with a black stripe zero ohm jumpers on the aux driver. J1, J2, etc. They look 1/4 watt resistors but are zero ohms.
Check each one to see if they have gone open.
Had the exact same thing with a Taxi recently.

Brent
Thanks Brent. I think I see the components you are talking about. I'll pull the board this weekend and take a closer look. Thanks.

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
I owe you a beer! You were 100% correct! W4 in my case. The little jumper (which looks like a resistor as you described) failed open. I soldered a jumper on the back side of the board and we are back in business! The only part I don't understand in all of this is how I was reading 40V at each one of the coils? Is there low amperage residual noise in the circuit that causes this? Seems odd, but hey it's fixed! Thanks so much for the help, I honestly would not have thought to check a jumper!