• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FT Early fishing expedition to trade for a Black Knight

Who hates fishing expeditions?

• Me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love to watch them!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Trading is the best way to get value for both sides!

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
I'm thinking about fixing up a good condition Black Knight (all original, ok backglass with minimal flake, ok playfield with typical wear spots (Magna saves, etc.) - will illustrate in photos once I start restoring machine) - what I would call an average or better condition player's machine) and looking for someone who might entertain a trade deal toward the end of summer / early fall for one or more machines from my want list, or suggest something I haven't considered.

I haven't started refurbishing the Black Knight yet (currently not completely working and in dry storage, but it will purrr and shine once I am done with it - your choice LED or INC - although I tend to use soft white LEDs in backglasses now anyway), but I'd be more motivated if I had a target deal with someone I trust in sight. I'm not likely to take time to re-paint playfield and cabinet, so this would be a well running (electronic and mechanical) game, with a really good polish, but "original patina and charm" shopped (new rubber, bulbs, clean, rebuilt targets, super wax job etc.) restoration.

Located in Waterdown, ON, but I can travel anywhere between Ottawa and London, possibly as far as Montreal (and don't mind terminal to terminal shipping deals either).

What I'm looking for as the base of a trade (working or not in no particular order):

Bally Strange Science
Data East Time Machine
Gottlieb TX-Sector
Gottlieb Rock or Rock Encore
Gottlieb Tee'd Off!
Gottlieb Class of 1812
Gottlieb Shaq Attaq
Gottlieb Frank Thomas Big Hurt
Gottlieb Wipe Out!
Williams Johnny Mnemonic
Williams Rollergames

or TRON (for that, my grail machine, I'd be willing to trade a Black Knight + my left arm, or maybe + an unused P-Roc board and power driver set and project Puck Bowler I'd be willing to part with (lol))

other suggestions considered from the late SS to early DMD games (the "golden age").

I'm putting out really early feelers in case someone really wants a Black Knight, and wants to part with one of these. I won't put it up for a straight sale until it's finished and if there's no trade offers.

(P.S. I'm known to most of the old-time crew here if you need a reference, although I've been laying low lately due to work and personal circumstances.)

Kev, I know you will try to hook me up, but just sell or trade me your TX-Sector.... ;-)

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
P.S. Feel free to have a conversation in my thread. I figured someone from my past was going to call out my "eclectic" pinball tastes. ;-) Sometimes the bumps get the trading moving along. lol!

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I feel lately like I am a "crux point" from the old world and the new world.
Wayne, Not sure your offer will get you any real bites my friend. Times change sir.
You ask for newer (ish) pins and offer an older classic in trade. Not likely gonna happen bro.
The modern pinball collector really wants "bigger, newer, faster, stronger": and the classics; not so much.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
FYI-Your question so far netted 3 of 3 responses for "trades" as the "leading" response.
This is the modern solution of 'best practice' for obtaining pins going on 2-3 years now my friend.

I am sorry to say, but the "old school" has failed to keep up to the "new school" requirements for quite some time.

It is a matter of consumer demand vs. consumer sales vs. old school collectors letting go and the new school love of pinball.

All the best in the "new" modern age. Cheers. Salut.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
To the "great deliverer;" (P.S. I hope you are doing well, it's been a while since I've been out your way!)

I never said that I wouldn't sweeten the pot depending on the title. And maybe even consider an outright purchase for a price that appeals to my 52 year old economic sensibilities. But other than a couple of pins, I did pick SS/DMD titles that (although they appeal to me) used to be among the "least popular in pinball history" .

Certainly a Shaq Attaq or a Rock Encore is near equal in value to a Black Knight (but maybe not any more?). At a time where I used to be able to get a Shaq Attaq for $700, a Black Knight was worth about $1200. (But I've stopped chasing ambulances, so "project" machines don't often fall into my lap any more.)

I WAS trying to find a way to enter the "no cash" trade world (after spending so much renovating our home) and this was a foray to see if that is still even possible.

Apart from my machine not being absolutely "ready to trade" (which is a big disincentive in today's immediate gratification world) I also figure that these days people are tending to hang on to pins UNLESS they are looking for cash (and then more willing to part with them to the "unwashed" where people have no idea the headache they are over-paying for).

Trading amongst collectors ifsfar from dead but rather WAS the best practice 10 years ago, and not as much now, excepting that people WILL trade amongst the "A" and "B" titles. Amongst my pin cronies we tend to try not to duplicate titles and that way play or temporarily trade machine locations amongst our neighbourhood to keep machines fresh in our minds.

But for a title like Black Knight (which has a mystique amongst an older crowd aged 50+) it's golden age of collectability based on nostalgia is winking out - since most collectors that age either own it or have owned it, or new enthusiasts that age are not collector/fixers, they are "ready to play" types. (So for this title a sale seems more likely once it is restored.)

One thing that has definitely changed is the value attributed to collectable EMs has been steadily diminishing except amongst a hard core group and the odd new aficionado. I have multiples of some machines that may never achieve the cash/trade value that they once had not 5 or 6 years ago.

I may not participate much in the forums anymore, but I still keep reading the posts. o_O

Wayne (aka webSherpa)

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
I'm probably one of these potential buyers of your BK, especially due to the nostalgia value as it is the pin that I played the most when I was a kid.

I'm still in the accumulation phase of the hobby, and once I hit my max # of pins for my space, I will probably start selling/trading pins more often.

But for now, I'll keep watching this thread to see if it becomes a for sale thread.

Reactions: websherpa

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Good to hear that you are alive + well Wayne.
I must admit to missing your reno post updates sir. Most excellent project.

Life trudges on and so do we all. Of course, projects and multiples appeal to many of us...

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
I'll be watching this to see if it turns into a FS post. Im local to you in Waterdown and may be ready for another pin come the fall... One with less work then the pf swap I have staring me in the face on the Silverball Mania project I picked up not too long ago.