• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

DYI metal ramps? :o

yodie

Dec 20, 2012
So i am going to make dyi metal ramps for a few games to replace the plastic ones, i'm just wondering if anyone has tried this or seen peoples pins with dyi metal replacements for the injection molding ones. I'm a welder so thats not the hard part, i have ideas how to start the fabrication process, just wondering what people think of this idea. here are the ramps i am going to replace.
image-8.jpg

and the center ramp starting from just under the space shuttle.

image-8.jpg

my only thing is with space shuttle removing the black plastic ramp and putting a metal one there would only expose the bare wood playfeild under it and i dunno how that would look, but i am curious still.

yeah? Nah? thoughts? ideas? would you do it on your game/s?

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
You'd certainly change the look of the game, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I can't say that I've ever seen someone do this though.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I think your biggest issue is going to be that the metal is going to block your view of the PF.

replacing the road kings PF I think won't work as that ramp takes up so much of the main PF, to have something dead center that makes it impossible to see anything would be really annoying.

Space Shuttle on the other hand should be just fine as it's already solid black anyway and you don't see anything under it anyway.

yodie

Dec 20, 2012
yup just like that or even less maybe, the best part was this weekend shopping at the dollar store with the wife i found by accident these chrome closet coat hanger organizers, basically i found all the metal i need to rework and reshape and its chromed for like $2 a pack. that's so far the best deal