• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Data east repair in georgetown

mcuzz

Apr 23, 2016
Georgetown
Wondering if anyone near georgetown can come fix my data east JP machine. Lower GI lights dont light up , fuse F3 keeps blowing up, 1 pop bumper dosent work , right inlane and a target out. Argh , if you can help please pm me. Thanks , mike

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
That sounds like multiple problems stacked on top of each other to me. Was it working before? First thing I'd do is make sure everything in the backbox is seated properly (ribbon/molex connectors). Then, figure out what F3 controls-is that a GI fuse, or something else? If it's a GI problem, you might have a short in a light socket.

As for the switches, do they work in test? For the pop, does the switch trigger and the bumper just not fire, or is it just a switch problem? Not 100% on whether DE games work the same, but I know on WPCs you can force a transistor controlled solenoid to fire from the backbox, so maybe check if the same thing works. That'll tell you whether the coil/transistor is good or not.

If you're worried things might be linked, you could do something like leave the GI disconnected while you troubleshoot the switches. If you're running into a problem where you keep blowing fuses, I'd also highly recommend making a test rig where you solder an identically rated breaker to a dead fuse. Saves you from burning through fuses as you're troubleshooting these things.

Good luck! If you still get stuck, Doug (Menace) is a great help, and if you're in Georgetown, you could also PM shinynick, since he's out your way.

mcuzz

Apr 23, 2016
Georgetown
Did you just score this machine?
I have been watching for one of these for a while.

John
Yeah, I recently acquired it, it was mostly working then i changed some lights and shorted a fuse. Great game lots of fun, kids love the dino theme.

mcuzz

Apr 23, 2016
Georgetown
That sounds like multiple problems stacked on top of each other to me. Was it working before? First thing I'd do is make sure everything in the backbox is seated properly (ribbon/molex connectors). Then, figure out what F3 controls-is that a GI fuse, or something else? If it's a GI problem, you might have a short in a light socket.

As for the switches, do they work in test? For the pop, does the switch trigger and the bumper just not fire, or is it just a switch problem? Not 100% on whether DE games work the same, but I know on WPCs you can force a transistor controlled solenoid to fire from the backbox, so maybe check if the same thing works. That'll tell you whether the coil/transistor is good or not.

If you're worried things might be linked, you could do something like leave the GI disconnected while you troubleshoot the switches. If you're running into a problem where you keep blowing fuses, I'd also highly recommend making a test rig where you solder an identically rated breaker to a dead fuse. Saves you from burning through fuses as you're troubleshooting these things.

Good luck! If you still get stuck, Doug (Menace) is a great help, and if you're in Georgetown, you could also PM shinynick, since he's out your way.
Thanks for the advise chris, there was a gi light missing when i took it home so I inserted a new bulb and shorted out the lower gi set. Not sure why it did that. Pop bumper fires during test but not in gameplay

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So if replacing the missing bulb shorted the GI, then that socket is probably a good place to start looking. Worst case, just leave that one socket empty and play it as-is :)

When you say that the pop fires in test, is that for the coil test? If that's the case, check the pop bumper switch. If it's not registering, nothing will tell the game to fire it.

mcuzz

Apr 23, 2016
Georgetown
found the solution it was a bad trace on the board that was making the row not work. T he GI was shorting because a piece of metal was touching the light socket. JP is now working 100%.
thanks to Menace, Chris Bardon, Nick Angel, and all else for your input and guidance.
IMG_2982.JPG

Reactions: Menace