• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Cyclone with a System 11a CPU board

Pinballer

May 16, 2013
Etobicoke
Wondering if I have a chance at getting the sound to work on my Cylone. I just bought the game in Montreal from Alloutte Amusements as a fixer upper. Tried it out at there location, it booted up OK but no sound or screen displays. Bought it anyways because the playfield was pretty good condition. Brought it home yesterday and have been going through it very carefully now !! It is amazing what you can easily overlook when trusting that you are getting a complete machine. Amongst other things. It turns out it does not have the original System 11B CPU board but instead it is a system 11A from a Pinbot. The sound card is the correct one for this system 11B cyclone. Is there some way to make the sound card work with this system 11A CPU board ? I looked online but only found that the system 11B CPU board (which I don't have) is compatible with all other system 11 systems . But I am stuck with a 11A CPU board. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Feb 21, 2013
NewBrunswick
There has been alot of discussions about alloutte doing that kinda of stuff. They are not the people to deal with, your way better off dealing with one of the members on this site, they are honest people that aren't in the hobby to rip people off.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
You should be OK with an 11A MPU inside of an 11B game. From the holy bible of pinball:

"The most flexible CPU board is system11A. The system11A CPU board can be used in any 1986-1990 sys11, sys11b or sys11c game The only exception is if the sys11A CPU board is going into a original sys11 game (High Speed, Road Kings, or Grand Lizard). In this case, connector 1J15 (four pins, .156" molex male header) must be added to the sys11a CPU board (that's all that needs to be done). To use a system 11a board in a system 11c game, don't use connectors 1J16 (volume control) and 1J15 (speakers). Also the sound ROMs at U21 and U22 are not used, since they are moved to the sound board."

The board will work compatability-wise. Sound is an incredibly frustrating thing to troubleshoot in this era of game. Hopefully it's something easy for you.

Having come from the Jawa-like scavengers over at Allouette, who knows...

ed57650da6a73646974b08bc448bace1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Pinballer

May 16, 2013
Etobicoke
Thanks Spiroagnew

I have a copy of the holy bible but the version I have from section 1d reads differently.
  • System 11: first generation of system 11.
  • System 11A: second generation of system 11. System 11a boards can be used in system 11 games too.
  • System 11B: third generation of system 11. Actually there were two version of System 11B boards, with the first version having the sound amplifier at U1 (a TDA2002). Special solenoids now CPU controlled and games have Auxiliary power driver board (actually these both started with "Big Guns, the last system 11a game).

• The most flexible CPU is system 11b. This board can be used in system 11, 11a, 11b or even 11c. To use a system 11b board in a system 11c game, you just don't use connectors 1J16 (volume control) and 1J15 (speakers) on the system 11b board. Also the sound ROMs at U21 and U22 are not used, since they are moved to the sound board.

Which section did you find the information you provided. I would like to understand if I even have a hope of getting the sound to work with the 11a board.

Thanks

Pinballer

May 16, 2013
Etobicoke
Thanks again. This information is re-assuring. I am continuing to find items to fix up with the strip of this game. Hopefully I will be trying out the MPU with the sound card relatively soon. I have several things going on at once. Getting all the goo of the playfield after the mylar removal is very time consuming.

Pinballer

May 16, 2013
Etobicoke
I am pleased to say that I now have both sound and music working on my Cyclone. The problem was related to not having the correct powersupply . Now that I have the right and working powersupply (game came with a DE power supply for a dot matrix). I have the music, sound and screen displays working. I can confirm that a system 11A CPU board works with a system 11B sound board. Thanks for the help.