• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Classifieds

goodmanners

Jun 17, 2014
Mississauga
Hey - I know nothing about making or running a forum. I love this one and use it all the time.

I also belong to CGN - Canadian Gun Nutz - and have noticed that in their classified ads forum only the initial poster can comment. And they only comment to bump the add up weekly. You get a warning/temp suspension if you bump quicker than 7 days.

I may be the only one but I think allowing the price police or whomever to comment on every for sale thread is not very helpful. I would much prefer if there was just the pin pictures, pin statement and pin price. Even if that price is ridiculous - I can just ignore it.

I have jumped on for sale threads here to thank a seller so there are some good points to having an open classifieds forum. But you just have to look at Pinside to see that sometimes the negative outweighs the positive.

If most of us really don't care about what a pin sells for then having a closed classifieds where you can't post comments will keep it cleaner. And easier to shop on. I won't have to wade through a bunch of "you sold me a bad pin" comments or "this price is way too high I paid way less in 1977" when all I want to do is find a deal on a game.

Food for thought.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I think they tried that over at the "other" Canadian pinball site with mixed results.
Personally I prefer not to limit discussion. The local forums are somewhat light in that regard as it is.
I've often chimed in on a FS thread to hopefully assist the seller and/or buyers... especially if it's a game I happen to know well or have owned in the past. The only posts that are detrimental are those related to price. I don't see an issue with anything else.
As a seller, I'm happy to have traffic on my thread so that I don't have to keep bumping it ;)

I guess I would like to give people the opportunity to behave like adults and, if they refuse, there are other ways of dealing with them.
All I know is that the classified area got super dull when it was locked down.

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
The prices differences between the US and Canada are going to become pretty hard to ignore now that the dollar is below .74 and at an 11 year low.

Reactions: Menace

kiwi

Dec 27, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I'm on a few forums, and each of them have different rules. Usually the rule is people can post their asking price or whatever, and you can't go round bad mouthing the asking amount. Usually if its incorrectly priced, the market will dictate and the seller ends up adjusting. Often after some indirect questions of PMs are sent from other users.

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
CAD $ now at .71, anyone have a nice condo in Florida for rent for March break? My planned vacation may not be happening this year.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
There is another canadian pinball site?
OMG
How much time have I wasted and lost already....
Gotta get searching.
Google: shady, non-kijijii advetising pinball sites -macca

Beafraid

Dec 13, 2012
Maple
I would rather you post something and it is closed for comment. If someone is interested or wants to offer advice then send a PM. It always turns into a debate about something or other.

Reactions: luch

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
I'd prefer to leave them open, myself.. I'd like to consider ourselves a classy bunch (for the most part) and can let the market decide for itself. I've always stood by the "if you don't want it, don't buy it" philosophy.

That said, I'll do what the majority prefers.

We may even open it up to the seller to decide whether they want to close their post or not.

Reactions: Rascal