• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Canadian Source for Cabinet Sub

Ponzie

Oct 3, 2017
Ottawa
Hey there,
Wondering if anyone knows of a Canadian source for an in-cabinet sub.

The speaker in my Stern Star Trek sounds like it's blown and needs replacing.
I can order from Pinball Pro (or Flipper Fidelity) but am hoping to avoid the USD, duty, tax, etc. if I can...

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Looking for something like this:
http://pinballpro.net/shop/stern-spike-subwoofer-only-kit-sw-4vb/

Side question: Is it worth changing the back box speakers as well? It's a fairly new Stern machine and they still sound ok (if not a bit underpowered compared to my Stern SW)

Thanks for the advice/help!
Steve

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
Which pin?
Double check all of the wiring - a loose wire can sound like a blown speaker. Doubt any pinball amp would put out enough power to blow a sub.
Crutchfield Canada is excellent for all things audio, and they occasionally have free shipping as well. Just get the same impedance (ohms) and physical size and swap it in. You will almost certainly have better luck looking at car audio, not home audio speakers. I haven’t looked at your link yet but I may be able to identify something similar or better.
As far as backbox speakers, again, depends on the pin. If it sounds good to you, don’t bother.

Ponzie

Oct 3, 2017
Ottawa
Appreciate the response mlkea.

It's a Stern ST pro.

I took a quick look at the wiring and it seemed OK but I'll check it again as you may be right.
The previous owner soldered some wires for an external sub (that works fine) but not sure that makes any difference.

Played a game the other day at a normal volume (what I normally play it at...around volume 30 or so) and it sounded WAY louder than normal for some reason... thought that may have blown the speaker...

Will look at Crutchfield as well.

Appreciate the help!

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
Ha- totally missed that you said it was a ST Pro in your first post.
If the previous owner soldered a 2nd sub in parallel that may have lowered the overall impedence to the amp and that may have damaged the amp rather than the speaker.
Why does it sound ‘blown’? What is it doing? Is it buzzing? Is it constant or intermittent?
If you can swap in another sub from another pin you may be able to determine if it is in fact the speaker or not.

Ponzie

Oct 3, 2017
Ottawa
The speaker sounds like it is rattling all of a sudden with the audio from the bottom of the cabinet sounding like it is buzzing when it is working...
I suppose it’s possible it’s the amp.
I just assumed it was the speaker that was shot...
I’m going to undo it and take a look...

Appreciate the advice and help.

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
Probably the speaker then- the way the other guy wired it may have overdriven the speaker and damaged the cone or voicecoil. If you’re replacing you may as well improve it too- get something with higher sensitivity (dB rating). Long story short, the higher the db sensitivity, the louder it will sound (watt rating has nothing to do with how loud it will sound). You’ll get the best improvement with an external powered sub though, if you really want to feel it.
Let me know how it works out.