• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Black Knight: Identify Playfield Something'r'other

lothian

Dec 23, 2021
NC
The artifacts circled in blue hide behind the center target of each of the four target banks on my machine.
I presumed something had been removed, but these same affects appear on images of BK80 playfields other than mine!

Anyone know what these things are and what purpose they serve(d)?

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

Reactions: WARLOCK

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
Prob a production modification. Silk screen appears to depict the location for one post in the middle. Looks like a perfect ball trap size left and right if were installed that way. Operators don't like loosing revenue over a trapped ball so it probably was a quick fix to prevent what appears to be an initial design flaw.

Playfield are dimpled with a press to indicate mounting locations. That looks like a dimple that was intended for the design post location which was scrapped for plan B.

Reactions: WARLOCK

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
The markings you are referring to on the Black Knight playfield were present and factory manufactured when Williams had the playfields made.

It wasn't that something was removed, it was that something was never installed in the first place. That unpainted wood space was intended to be cut out of the playfield and have a leaf switch installed in the horseshoe shaped gap. The white rubber would hit the switch and awards 50 points on a game like Algar where a leaf switch was installed in the factory behind each of the drop target banks. Looks like games prior to Fall of 1980 had them.

Games like Black Knight never had the switch installed.
Games that came after Black Knight such as Jungle Lord and Pharaoh, do not have those playfield markings like Black Knight does. It looks like they had originally intended to install that switch on BK, but then never did. Later games had no markings, so the intent to install that switch disappeared.

Games that came before Black Knight such as Algar, Gorgar, Firepower and Flash, all do have the leaf switch installed behind the drop targets wherever it was feasible.

Great question and I was fascinated, so I went and visually inspected these games this morning. Sample group today was 1 x BK, 1x JL, 1 x PH, 2 x Flash, 2 x Algar, 3 x FP, 3 x Gorgar.