• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

BK vs BK2K

Magneto

Nov 15, 2012
Laval,Que
never played BK2k,but played alot of BK and its a cool game! the BK2K looks pretty much like BK but on steroids!!

there seems to be mixed opinions about this on the net,some seem prefer the original BK and some the the 2K.

is it too similar to own both??

which would you choose as the better game??

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
I didn't like Black Knight 2000 that much. The upper playfield was too large and the music sounded like an 80's cartoon. Some people do enjoy it but I would take the original any day.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Neither is really my cup of tea to be honest, but BK for me too.
Sequels are rarely as good as the original ;)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
BK is a great game for that era. I need to log more time on a BKII to give a better answer regarding that pin though.
Brewmanager and I watch for BK always though to purchase multiple copies. The rest of my duplicate machines are
all going to go or are likely spoken for. I do like working on BK anytime though.

JL, SF, Ph are all ok as well. Any of the Williams "Fantastic four!" Simple keepers from the past for me for a while yet.

Magneto

Nov 15, 2012
Laval,Que
agreed, for the era the original BK was great but im mostly interested in the``fun factor`` and not really nostalgia, I never played it as a kid,I was playing Vids (but do now!)
The sounds and so is the speech coming from BK are very limited(and annoying to many) ,compared to 2K version which does sound pretty cool for the era.
I once remember reading on another forum BK2K WAS the best system-11 game...
Although ``I`` think system-11 are very limited games it must be better than a system-7 game?! :?:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
BK is a snore Fest, I don't understand why it is so liked.

I owned a BK for a few months and was happy to sell it go, the gameplay is so simplistic. Plunge Ball, hold right flipper up, pass ball to left flipper, lock ball, rinse, repeat, play multiball, and then start over again.

It's like watching paint try.

BK2000 on the other hand I love, yes the game play is also fairly limited but the music and sound save the game. Some of the best pinball music ever.

Gameplay wise BK2K is pretty limited, and really can almost be played one handed with ease. But I do enjoy it, Ransom is fun, the multiball isn't always simple to achieve and the lower PF (while almost usless) is a tough playing area.

Anyway I still have my BK2K and I don't see it going anywhere ever, I'd miss the music and voice work too much from my basement.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Vengeance said:
BK2K is pretty limited, and really can almost be played one handed with ease.

Funny thing about playing one handed. I was playing BK2K at your place one night after TOPL and found I was playing it one handed. I guess I must have returned the ball back to the upper PF about 6 or 7 times in a row on the first shot, and was getting quite comfortable. Then, the first time I missed that shot, my left hand was literally not ready.

BK2K >> BK. My attraction to BK must have been nostalgic. I did play it back when it first came out. But once I had it in my home (purchased from you), I wondered what all the fuss was about. I debated whether to restore before I sold it, but it was leaving. Turned out to be the first pin I ever sold.

Magneto

Nov 15, 2012
Laval,Que
Thanks guys for the input!
after watching the video over and over there's something about the music and light-show on BK2K that makes me want to get one!! :p

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Here is an old video I made of my BK2K a long time ago:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPfsox8_4cg&hd=1[/youtube]

SilverBallFiend

Dec 19, 2012
I love Black Knight - I tend to be attracted to the older era pins and this would be one I would buy.

Never played BK2K though.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Monkeybug said:
I didn't like Black Knight 2000 that much. The upper playfield was too large and the music sounded like an 80's cartoon. Some people do enjoy it but I would take the original any day.

I LOVE BK2K for those reasons. Most people who really dig it like ti because of the driving beat of the music. I just started to get really good at it, playing daily, before I sold mine (which I do regret, but it was at the bottom edge of my "keeper" list). I owned both until recently and BK2K is definitely a better game than BK. However, a DMD game it's not. And I'd say a "light show" SS game like Gottlieb's Cactus Jack's is better still. Even though I loved early SS like Black Knight and Firepower (and a whole host of other games) at the time, I now find they only attract me for short bursts of nostalgic play any more.

Magneto

Nov 15, 2012
Laval,Que
ok, so after having both in the house for a few weeks and having owned BK for 3.5 year the choice was easy!!

heres my take on it.....

BK was cool....back in 1980 when everything else was kinda simple and déja vu, yet this one one had ramps , multiballs,magna saves and speech, WOW!(for 1980 that is)

BK2K is way FASTER, waaay more challenging rules,mega cool light shows ,stronger flippers and the best awesome music on a sys 11 board! hay this one actually gets my heart pumping faster :lol:

needless to say BK was sold off this week and there's no looking back! :D

hay,its no fun to watch paint dry ;)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Luc,

Congrats on the sale. Good choice. I was offered a BK2K today. I turned it down.
My concern is that if I had both, my opinion might then be the same as yours.
I don't want to have to make that choice, so BK wins because I will avoid BK2K.

The seller of the BK2K did the same thing as you did. He sold his BK. Today, he listed
his BK2K for sale after I said no thanks, 3-4 months later. He wants a DMD to replace it.

Keep your flippers flipping. There is always the next "tres kewlio pin" in line after the last.

Scott

Magneto

Nov 15, 2012
Laval,Que
WARLOCK said:
Luc,

Congrats on the sale. Good choice. I was offered a BK2K today. I turned it down.
My concern is that if I had both, my opinion might then be the same as yours.
I don't want to have to make that choice, so BK wins because I will avoid BK2K.

The seller of the BK2K did the same thing as you did. He sold his BK. Today, he listed
his BK2K for sale after I said no thanks, 3-4 months later. He wants a DMD to replace it.

Keep your flippers flipping. There is always the next "tres kewlio pin" in line after the last.

Scott

thanks Scott!
yep, having both is not probably not good ideal. but like i said after 3 and a half years the magic does rub off some bit making it easier to let it go...and we all know something newer is ALWAYS welcome!! :D

if i had more space and money im sure i would of kept both!!