• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Advice for newb... Getting into the world of pinball

Mark Cleland

Nov 9, 2019
Carlisle Ontario
Hello
I’m new to this forum. I’m a father of 2 boys (9 and 11), we live in gta (North of Burlington), and I’m looking to buy my first pinball machine (s).
I looked on kijiji for some used machines but I’m worried about spending a bunch of money on a machine that will have major issues. I stopped by player one amusement shop and it looks like I can get a stern pro new for $7500.
I am looking for advice on a good way to get a home machine. Should I buy 1 new machine or could I get 2 used machines from a reliable source for similar cost?
I am not good at pinball but I love playing and I’m interested in getting “ into” it.

I was looking at Jurassic park, but other themes we love are superheroes, rock and roll, fantasy

any suggestions on a good way to start would be great. I’d like to keep my initial spend under 10k
Thanks for any help,
Mark

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Stay away from a pro if you can afford it. You want to retain as much value as possible if you want change it up down the road.
I went to the VFW open house and played a bunch of different games and have a wish list and watch the market.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Go and play pinball at a league night and see what machines you may like.
Go to any league. We all endorse each other and we play in multiple league's.

Jim is great. One of my favourite places to play in the TOPL (Toronto) league.

Decide what you want to own before you jump. Once you jump, 1 is not enough.

Good luck. Happy Pinball...
Cheers. Salut. All the best.

Mark Cleland

Nov 9, 2019
Carlisle Ontario
Thanks Luch and warlock. Jim was nice enough to invite me over this week to check out his collection and talk shop. Amazing guy. He invited me Monday and I will be there with my host fee! Lol
I’ll be the guy who looks kind of lost and scores 4 points

Reactions: WARLOCK and luch

Rockin

Jan 19, 2016
Caledon ON
Thanks Luch and warlock. Jim was nice enough to invite me over this week to check out his collection and talk shop. Amazing guy. He invited me Monday and I will be there with my host fee! Lol
I’ll be the guy who looks kind of lost and scores 4 points

In the short time I've been in this hobby, I've always been impressed with how open and helpful the majority of the people are.

Reactions: WARLOCK

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
If you're willing to learn and don't mind reading through lots of troubleshooting posts, I think owning a couple of slightly older games is a great option.

I didn't know a thing about repairing pinball machines when I got my first one. Today I can take them apart and put them back together. If you are so inclined, this route will open the doors to many different purchase options in future.

I wouldn't go for anything older than early 1990s though.

Good luck!

Reactions: dnewman and WARLOCK