• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

WTB AC/DC Pro or Star Trek Pro

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Yeah prices are insane for NIB right now! It's more profitable to go down to the states and get one and stay 2 days for a pin-cation. Allentown here I come.
You sure?

With the exchange rate, even the $800 break on tax, you are still gonna get hit HARD on return.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Can you actually break down a single big ticket item like this? By that logic, you could take 8 friends down and bring the whole thing back tax free, right? Actually, this could work if you disassembled a game into smaller parts... I'm bringing back an empty cabinet, someone else has the boards, another has the playfield...

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Can you actually break down a single big ticket item like this? By that logic, you could take 8 friends down and bring the whole thing back tax free, right? Actually, this could work if you disassembled a game into smaller parts... I'm bringing back an empty cabinet, someone else has the boards, another has the playfield...

The exemption is per person/per item

So one machine would mean only one exemption.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
I've seen some go for $3600 Us x 1.26 =$4565CDN - $800CDN = $3736CDN * 1.13 = $4221CDN
So I pay $4565 CDN + 485 Taxes = $5050 all in.
Is my math right?
Your math is sound, but add in a couple outstanding factors.

1) Distance to pin
2) Cost of travel (including gas, food, lodging, etc.)
3) Time (most people may or may not have this option)
4) Convenience (purely subjective)

So, if you factor in a few hundred bucks on fuel, a hundred bucks on lodging, 50 bucks on food, you suddenly have a new total of $5500. Then take away convenience of finding local, and your time.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
But you can actually deduct the $800 exemption from a single larger ticket item? I didn't actually know that-has anyone done that successfully?
You can. The deduction is on dollars spent, and you are allowed to bring back within your exemption or pay the difference on the balance.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
But you can actually deduct the $800 exemption from a single larger ticket item? I didn't actually know that-has anyone done that successfully?

You can, and I have.

I brought back a WMS IJ and Black Knight, and had a receipt written up for $2500 for both.

I picked up on my way back from PAPA, so I was down there for for over a week, this was back when you needed to be down for 7 days to get the full exemption. I only paid tax on the total left over after the exemption, since it was two machines, so two items for a total cost of $2500. I ended up only paying tax on like $1000 of it or something.

flashinstinct

Nov 14, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah...since I am going to Allentown for the show and splitting the room with someone to cut cost in half...and I can just have the guy write me a receipt if I find something. I chalk it down to a weekend of fun :)

flashinstinct

Nov 14, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario

I get what this guy is saying....but you would have to dismantle all the boards remove the playfield and then make sure you guys all pass in different vehicles at a 30 minute interval to even pull that off...

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
I thought NAVL offered the service where they will break down the machine and pallet it for you? I've only used SameDay where the seller already puts it on the pallet.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I get what this guy is saying....but you would have to dismantle all the boards remove the playfield and then make sure you guys all pass in different vehicles at a 30 minute interval to even pull that off...

Probably not different vehicles, but definitely a little dismantling in place. For a project game it might work, but likely not for a NIB.