• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Visiting with JPOP

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I agree with your list.

Eddy
Ritchie
Borg

All design fun games.

Just put JPOP on the top of the list. :cool:
Then slide Nordman in after them. ;)

Then you have my fav. Top 5 designers. :D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I sold my TOM because it was the game I played least after a while, and despite it being the fav of visitors to my house, I'm not running a pinball museum so I have to stick with games I'm actively playing.

That being said, I'm REALLY hyped about RAZA and he remains one of my favorite designers. I can only hope in the 14 years since his last real pinball machines that his rulemaking will be really compelling for a new audience of owners.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I've never cared about designers and don't understand why people do.

Software is king, and while there were specific designs innovations of note, software makes the game, not the layout.

Jpop is about the only designer of games I don't like, but again that has nothing to do with their design and everything to do with their software. Had they been programmed better, I'm sure I would enjoy them more. It just so happens that all of his games are ones I don't like.

goomba

Aug 30, 2013
GTA
I agree with Adam, but only to a point. Without the physical feel of pinball (how good it feels to make the shots, the transition from shot to shot, the combination of lights and sounds accompanying the shot, etc.) it becomes a somewhat more complicated game of Solitaire. There is much better software and rulesets out there in other mediums (video games, board games, etc.), and a lot of them even offer multi-player gameplay. It's the physicality of pinball that sets it apart.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
What I've always thought was cool about jpop games was that they always tried to do something cool and inventive. WCS had the goalie blocking shots, the player controlled kickout for the "assist", and a neat magnetic lock. TOM had that amazing vertical ball lock on the trunk, and CV had the neon light, ringmaster, and more great use of magnets, plus the DMD reposition and synchronization (the effect with the highwire lock is really well done for example). They're all things that made you stop and notice the first time you saw them, which is why these games did well on route at the time (at least WCS and TOM), and continue to do well with new players.

I'd also lump software and design together-they're both parts of the same equation. I also have a feeling that some teams are more collaborative than others, with the "designer" kind of directing the project and working on all aspects of the game, including input on the software. There's no way you can design a good playfield in a vacuum, having no thought as to why you'd shoot for something.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Agreed. I've always considered John's games works of art more than anything... CV and TOTAN are just stunning examples of this if you ask me. (which is one of the reasons I own both, and one of the reasons I wish I had deep pockets to buy into RAZA and MG as I find his games are all about the WHOLE EXPERIENCE not just the game play) But I also understand where Adam is coming from about the software and CV is case and point. The production software that was provided by WMS for that game is absolute garbage, buggy as all hell and ultimately the reason the game was a stinker on location and ended up being blown out by distributors for $1700 each NIB. The game didn't come into it's own among collectors until Cameron re-worked the software and released the home ROM. (even though Adam still doesn't like it)

D

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I like TOM a lot, WCS is fun also, I'd really like to play TOTAN more.... But I can't stand CV, Idk what it is about it, I would live a full life if I never player it again.

The little that I've read about RAZA has me intrigued, I think the theme rocks.

goomba

Aug 30, 2013
GTA
That RAZA theme does seem really fun with few constraints on creativity. With original content like this they don't have to stick to a movie's storyline or a band's music or whatever, even though that also works.

Regarding rewriting software for pinball machines, is this commonly done? Have they actually released the source code somewhere?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
goomba said:
Regarding rewriting software for pinball machines, is this commonly done? Have they actually released the source code somewhere?

To say it's common wouldn't be correct but a number of home roms do exist for various titles. All of these have been compiled by ex WMS/Bally programmers on their own time, as they had/have access to the source along with the compilers. (with a few exceptions like the DM swear roms, as this was Lyman's first programming task when he started at WMS, so more of a make work project to get him up to speed with the WPC hardware when we came over from DE/Sega afaik)

D

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
WARLOCK said:
JPOP thread gents.

I can't wait to play Magic Girl and RAZA.

That is all.

I as well...just need to find the right folks who had the foresight to get on board early and are generous enough to open their homes!

Hopefully they are met with success and future games can have a larger production run.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Not sure if it was mentioned here, but one of the things that JPOP discussed in his seminar was that they were already moving (for the second time) into a new facility. The current idustrial unit was rammed when I visited earlier this year. I understand he has acquired a larger unit in the same block. hopefully that'll make moving all that stuff a little easier. I think he's only been in the current shop about a year.

This is definitely good news for expansion and possibly larger runs... although I suspect John doesn't want to make massive amount of games; but I could be wrong.
We'll see what the release on Alice in Wonderland is going to be.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

Did he actually announce that they were going to do an Alice game? Not based on the old F14 conversion that Hanley had out at the church I hope. Looked like a cool concept, but one done in the new MG/Zombie adventure style could make for a really neat game.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Chris Bardon said:

Did he actually announce that they were going to do an Alice game? Not based on the old F14 conversion that Hanley had out at the church I hope. Looked like a cool concept, but one done in the new MG/Zombie adventure style could make for a really neat game.

John announced AIW a while back, although he has not started taking any orders. I guess he wanted to stake his claim after others were jumping on his zombie bandwagon.. and releasing a 3rd game before your first has even seen the light of day would likely get him a lot of negative response.

I'm sure he will be looking back at that first conceptual design that Mike has at the church, but I seriously doubt it will resemble it at all. Many of the ideas and features in that early prototype actually found their way into some of John's later B/W games.