• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Star Trek is here

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
REVOLUTION said:
TBH, even Lyman couldn't have saved the shitty layout of Gomez's last two games. And if Waison only has Lonnie to shadow, then we're all doomed. Lonnie is by far THE worst programmer on the planet. Every mode is the same. "Hit single target X times to start mode, hit single target X times to finish mode". Brutal.

This game certainly is very colourful, but I'm not digging the bottom of the PF. It looks very "Corel Draw" to me.

Not true TF and Avengers have decent layouts with lots of opportunity for some great rules.

People not to stop emphasizing so much on the designer and pay more attention to the programmers. All of the great games to come out from Stern have everything to do with with software and nothing to do with the design.

We haven't seen a unique PF design since the 90's

Software makes the game.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I personally like the work done on XM at least. Well, now that it's somewhat complete anyway.
Yes, there is still a lot of "hit this x times" to start a mode, but the completion of those modes at least seems to have a little more thought put into it. And I like how certain character's traits, and how they are combined in combos, help you to complete certain modes faster. At least you could see that there was some thought put into better integrating the theme into the rules to make it somewhat more enjoyable. My particular favorite is how prof. X can't deal any damage to Juggernaut until his helmet is removed, which makes total sense if you follow the comics. Little things like this make it more than just mindless pounding at various lit shots.

If you really look at it, aren't most pinball modes completed by doing things a certain amount of times? It's usually how the theme is tied in to that task that makes it great. Look at TAF as an example. You have to hit 3 ramps to complete the Seance mode. Pretty boring normally. But, add in some magnetic action, the knocker and Gomez's callouts and it is a whole different ballgame. Same with IJ and collecting the idol by knocking down drop targets to get closer to the prize. Without the DMD animation and movie sound bytes, it would've been a pretty boring mode.

my $0.02

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Adam... you call Avengers a good layout design? Where the ball gets stuck in Hulk all the time? Or gets stuck in the scoop near hulk and launches out and back into itself infinitely until you turn the game off? Or the fact that you can only read two of the four lane inserts? Or the fact that the Black Widow ramp is nearly impossible to hit, even for the most seasoned of vets? Or the fact that the ball sometimes falls INTO the cab from the Hulk area? Or... :FP:

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Yeah, I'd have to stick my neck out and disagree with you on this one Adam. Granted, I'm just playing for fun, so a pin doesn't have to score perfectly as it should when you're playing it competitively, but I didn't feel that the big problem with Avengers was the code. I loved the VS modes, and there was enough going on that you had multiple shots to aim for nearly all the time. Attack on the heli carrier is a fun mode as well.
You demonstrated that the scoring was bugged, "the bonus X" and "hold bonus" scoring so no argument there.
Personally, I think Avengers was a dog because of the construction and design. Shots were so tight that it lost some flow, and you had to tweak so many aspects of the pin itself, it was a train-wreck.
I think that the programming is one of the best parts of Avengers.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Star Trek is a great game. Layout looks like a winner (though not overly original as has already been pointed out)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Chambahz,

Nice for posting your opinion.
What everyone should realize from this is that the top 10, 25, or even 50 posters here, all know each other (either very well) or to some degree.

Say what you feel, whenever you feel like it.
Enjoy the hobby.

Scott

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
WARLOCK said:
What everyone should realize from this is that the top 10, 25, or even 50 posters here, all know each other (either very well) or to some degree.

Everyone including Adam is free to express their mind. If you think a game sucks just say it and try to back it up. I have numerous PMs exchanged with Chambahz before he bought his Avengers LE and after he got off that sinking ship. His post sums up exactly how I felt about Avengers since day 1 when I played it. I advised him not to drop > $7k on the "turd" or be prepared to take a huge bath when it comes time to resell. If you don't believe me look at that last few Hulk LE that were FS and even that poor HUO Avengers LE with 125 plays is now $5500 obo :FP:

The game was riddled with design flaws as Brock pointed out above. What kills me is does Gomez even play test his games or just designs these cool concepts on paper or computer only? The crazy air balls off the Megatron drop target was obvious and would have been found within 2-3 test games yet it was addressed after the fact. It's bad enough Stern releases games with incomplete code but untested mechanisms? The scoop by the Hulk kicking up into itself killed me when I was finally able to nail the tight black widow ramp. I had to shut the game off and remove the glass to free the ball by hand. Next to that the game feels like a chore to play and from the sounds of it very polarizing as in you either love it or you hate it.

I think if anything a lot of collectors are going to wait to see some more pics or videos of STLE game play before they drop $7-8k on a game which looks like STTNG 2.0. I personally think there is no way any current company that makes "real" pinball machines will ever match what was jam packed in the older games such as STTNG, TZ or Roadshow which seem to have everything but the kitchen sink thrown into them.

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I've read about Avengers needing tweaking, but have yet to experience that. Jason bought his NIB. I helped set it up and he's done nothing to it. It's played great out of the box. I really enjoy the game and wish I had a spare $5K or so floating around. I think the blue LE one is the one to have and that cheap one is so tempting.

Personally I find it plays like a MUCH better version of MB. Yes, you have the same sort of rules: hit this character X times to start the mode and then X times to complete, but there is the VS. mode plus the different multiballs and wizard modes. I really enjoy the game and don't understand why it doesn't get the love. Yes, some of the shots are tough, but that's the challenge. I don't find the Black Widow ramp so difficult that it takes away from the game.

Xmen is another great game that gets no love. I love the theme and would love to add one to the collection. Not going to sell 2 games to make it happen, but any time I play it, I enjoy it. The LE is a blast to play and the modes aren't simply hit the same target over and over. I love the music and enjoy the call outs -- even the ones others slam.

Cheers,
Duane

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
TwilightZone said:
Xmen is another great game that gets no love.

I agree with you and I liked Xmen Pro since the Wacky Wings launch so much I bought my first NIB the following week. I couldn't justify the $2500 difference at the time for a NIB LE and opted for a Pro instead which I felt was still a great game. There have been a few good local deals on Magneto LE's around the $6k price range and for the longest time on pinside people have been dumping their Wolverine LE's for $5-5.5k. I wonder if the same will happen with STLE :p

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I've really enjoyed my Avengers since I've had it. I'm not getting rid of it. I possibly have had less problems with it than others, and Stern has sent me a kit with some upgraded parts, and then I've modded some other things (Loki inlane plastics). It's a pretty smokin' game now.

What I've learned though from this and other releases I've watched (MET, ACDC) is to not buy the first machines out of the factory. Let the bugs get worked out. I'll do the same with ST.

It helps that I'm still waiting for a new house so my buying freeze is still on. Once I move I can make a decision about ST based on how it's doing at that time.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
The design on Avengers is flawed yes, but allot of the issues have been resolved and still stand by my statement that the design of the actual play field is good.

As like most Sterns the Pro plays better then the LE, the Black Widow shot is much easier to hit on the Pro then the LE as I find that since the ramp has the ability to move it tends to rattle which then slows down the ball momentum making the shot harder to hit.

But beside the fact that the shots are hard to hit is the fact that they don't reward you for doing so, there is no big payoff.

I'd have no issues with the tightness of the shot on blackwidow if it was worth the risk, but when I have to shoot it 15 times to get anything to happen (not an exaggeration) it's not worth the risk when there is a perfectly easy and repeatable shot in the left loop.

Making that shot worthwhile is a software issue, not a design issue. Had the black widow shot been used less, or used more effectively I guarantee everyone's opinion on it would change. Say as an example it was used during any of the mulitballs as a super jackpot of some kind then the satisfaction of being able to hit that shot when you needed to would out weigh the frustration that people currently feel of having to hit this tough shot 15 times for very little reward.

It's similar to that of say the hole in one shot on NGG which most people would agree is a very satisfying and rewarding shot. Now imagine if you had to get the holes in on shot 15 times before you even got the hint of a mediocre award, how much fun would it be then?

The rest of the shots flow nicely, I like the little inner orbit shots and the left loop to ramp, back to right flipper works well. The game has a nice, tight, tough, shot map which I enjoy, but I can't be bothered to grind out the actual gameplay, it's not fun to do.

Also there is 100% 0 comparison between MB and Avengers, I don't like MB as a game but Avengers doesn't even hold a candle to the rule set of Monsterbash.

Monsterbash, while I don't like the game because I find it easy, has a much more in depth rule set with regards to the risk vs reward of stacking opportunities. There is much less of a X shot all day exploit that exists on Avengers then there is on MB (Yes you can do CFTBL all day, but that is not an easy thing to do and the rewards for not doing that are greater).

MB is a good example of Shot X shot X time to get X reward, rinse/repeat that does it well. It makes the shots necessary to achieve anything low enough that you get the payoff soon, and hard enough that it feels like you are actually accomplishing something while doing it. Then add in the stacking opportunities, and the brilliant feature of pausing the timer during mulitball and you have a recipe for a game that works well.

Avengeres is missing all of that, yes you can stack in multiballs, but not until you have actually completed the multiball, and then once completed you still have to hit a ridiculous number of shots before you can even bring anything else in, and you can't make any progress towards those other multiballs during the current mulitball you are in. Avengers is an exercise in frustration and what tournament players call chopping wood.

End of the day Avengeres shortfalls IMO all come down to software implementation, had it taken a queue from MB and lowered the shots necessary to accomplish anything and rewarded people appropriately for the tougher shots, Avengers could have been a good game.

Just like X-Men could have been a good game as well had they tried to stray away from the same old formulaic rule set. My biggest issue with Xmen at the end of the was wolverine, that thing is just too big and becomes nothing but a bash target to hit over and over again with such a huge reward. More thought was put into the rules of Xmen then Avengers but it's still just more of the same.

Let compare by example ACDC and Metallica. The rules on ACDC are a masterpiece as I've gone into before, and Metallica already has more depth then Avengers and it's still on very early software. There are design flaws in ACDC as well, that cannon over the entire right in lane/out lane is terrible, but the good out weighs the bad so when people talk about ACDC it barely even comes up.

Both ACDC and Metallica are completely uninspired layouts, Xmen and Avengers are way more unique in the implementation of their layouts and how it all flows together. If they could have taken a similar rule set to that of ACDC or Metallica and put them on the great layout that is Avengers and Xmen, then you would have a game that would rival the best that pinball has to offer.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Great post Adam and I think we should start a sticky post for you to post specific game strategies and how to max out your points in a tournament setting. Have you ever sent some of these thoughts and frustration to Stern of specifically Waison's email? :lol:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
mwong168 said:
Great post Adam and I think we should start a sticky post for you to post specific game strategies and how to max out your points in a tournament setting. Have you ever sent some of these thoughts and frustration to Stern of specifically Waison's email? :lol:

Like minded people have talked directly to Waison in person and their suggestions have fallen of deaf ears.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So it's a non-widebody, cannonless STTNG? Even the ramps are named the same...are they even trying anymore? :)

I was wondering about the software issues too, and I really don't know where the breakdown between "game design" and "programming" lies. Guys like Steve Ritchie are designing the playfield layout, and probably some of the high level ideas for toys etc, but how much of the rules of the game are they developing at the same time? Obviously, they're drawing in inserts for modes, objectives, etc, but do they think about what those are going to be in advance? I remember reading somewhere about how games used to be designed as generic whitewoods, and then assigned themes after the fact, which implies that the game design and the rule design could be completely decoupled, but you'd think there has to be at least some thought put into the way the game is going to score by the "designer".

If most of the actual gameplay is just being made up by someone after the fact, then there's a big problem. Designing the way that you physically interact with the ball is an important task, but designing why you're interacting with it in a particular way makes the difference between something you want to bang on once, and something you want to own and master.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
frolic said:
What I've learned though from this and other releases I've watched (MET, ACDC) is to not buy the first machines out of the factory. Let the bugs get worked out. I'll do the same with ST.

While this is generally true, I lucked out with my early purchase of MET PRO.

Updating the game as it progresses has been an awesome experience.
Also, the first run PRO was the only MET to include snake fangs (still in tact after 1000+ plays).

The one and only fix I've had to apply is installing an opto cover to the inline drops to stop false triggers.
This was free via my distributor and took 5 minutes to install.

I would say that generally speaking, the PROs seem to be mostly problem free, with all the headaches belonging to the LE or PREMIUM editions of recent Sterns (AC/DC, XMEN, AVENGERS...)

My advice to players is to stick with the PRO models. They are by far the best bang for the buck and mostly problem free. Especially if you like to actually play the game, as opposed to only wiping it down with a diaper. :lol:

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So much for the game having a new display? I like the look of the premium cabinet the best of the three, but that new speaker panel just looks...wrong. Too much space above the DMD perhaps? Looking at it again, it looks a little like a cross between sttng and spider-man (with the right side lane/upper flipper combination). Who knows how it'll play, but I'm sure that the LEs will have sold out by then (although with that translite, who knows-it's probably the worst of the three).

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
The feature matrix is out. Sounds like this game will have an incredible light show. That is right up my alley.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Sounds like minimal gameplay differences between the pro and premium this time-the biggest change sounds like a ball save kicker on the left for the higher end models (which is probably replaced by a SW ball save in the lower end models).