• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Star Trek at Starburst

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
I spent an hour playing Star Trek while picking up some parts. I think I tend to agree with Adam.

Every "mission" or whatever they call them seemed to be the exact same thing to me. Most of ramps, loops were lit with missions color and you hit them to get increasingly higher points. Did not really understand how things were getting lit. Sometimes it seemed to alternate sides, other times more random, sometimes all shots were lit. No clue how many times I had to something or whether it was time based. At some point the mission seemed to end and then I think I was supposed to make the easy side shot and start the same nonsense all over again.

Skill shot..required none.

The warp shot was only thing fun and I spent at least 3 whole games doing nothing but trying to hit more than one in a row. It was hard. I managed two in a row once but I think it was a muscle spasm and not an actual planned shot.

Every time that stupid space ship shook I expected it to fall apart. Added nothing, did nothing. Avengers may not be well loved but you have to admit when Hulk goes ape-shit it is fun and the balls are flying every where...even into the cabinet. Found it annoying that the ball would get "trapped" behind the target there and not on the magnet. It would always get freed right away but just seemed like some flaw in the software.

I got bored decided to play Metallica for a few games and then Star Trek again for a more direct comparison. End result, Metallica by far the more fun, more challenging game. I did find myself wondering where the upper flipper was in Metallica though. Star Trek looks nice but so does Metallica.

As a WOZ onwer I would argue that I came closer to seizure with Star Trek and some of the LED flashes then I have with WOZ. ( a different thread and proof I am not some Adam disciple).

If I was spending $5K right now it would be Metaliica.

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
Played it today while picking up parts

For the non competitive player this thing is great, nice flow, achievable shots (aim at something flashing) and "lots of things happen with flashy lights".

But

I don't get the ship, is it having a Grand-Mal???
The Head of the PRO is the ugliest thing I have seen, it reminded me of the FrankenMame cabinets.
Alice Eve bra scene in DMD animation...really?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
nics135 said:
End result, Metallica by far the more fun, more challenging game. I did find myself wondering where the upper flipper was in Metallica though. Star Trek looks nice but so does Metallica.

Surprised you were able to even play that Metallica on the showroom floor as the flippers are horribly weak and have been for quite some time.

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
Yep but they were good enough to get Metallica spelled, knock down the tombstones and light up sparky....and I stilled liked it better than Star Trek.

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
I had a chance to play it as well last weekend when picking up my ACDC Premium :D

Have to say, I was less thank impressed with the game play. But what the hell do I know, I'm just a newbie! :cool:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Haven't really been following the small details but I caught a glimpse on pinside last night before bed and I see a bunch of people pulling out of their LE because of a VUK? I mean seriously that is what sold you on the LE and not the 60 tricolor LEDs? :lol:

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
mwong168 said:
Haven't really been following the small details but I caught a glimpse on pinside last night before bed and I see a bunch of people pulling out of their LE because of a VUK? I mean seriously that is what sold you on the LE and not the 60 tricolor LEDs? :lol:

WHAT NO VUK??!?!

SEND IT BAAAACCCCKKKK!!!!! :roll:

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Game still has a VUK, just sends it somewhere else.

I liked the idea of the warp ramp being fed by the vuk, but if it doesn't work reliably, then shitcan it.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Picture of the LE in the flesh

Attachments

• STLE.jpg
    STLE.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 264
  • STLE1.jpg
    STLE1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 263
  • STLE2.jpg
    STLE2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 263

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Some more pics and here is a low resolution video showing the lights in action

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WVFZegEfU0I[/youtube]

Attachments

• STLE4.jpg
    STLE4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 257
  • STLE5.jpg
    STLE5.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 257
  • STLE6.jpg
    STLE6.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 257

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
REVOLUTION said:
looks like the VUK now feeds the left wire-form (like LOTR).

Oh well. :(

- B

Sure does and I thought the new angled DMD panel was suppose to eliminate the reflection? :FP:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l9O5SSTpHu0[/youtube]

Attachments

• STLE7.jpg
    STLE7.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 252

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Chris Bardon said:
So has there been a reveal of what the starfield projector piece actually is?

It's a laser projector in the apron -- or rather, it WAS. I heard it was pretty unsuccessful and it looks like they may have axed it in favour of the apron lighting

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
REVOLUTION said:
Chris Bardon said:

It's a laser projector in the apron -- or rather, it WAS. I heard it was pretty unsuccessful and it looks like they may have axed it in favour of the apron lighting

If this is true I will be cancelling my LE order for sure and coming to you for an AC/DC Premium Brock!

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
REVOLUTION said:
Chris Bardon said:

Just found out this rumour isn't true from Stern on pinside.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
1379390_10151940436819244_453631464_n.jpg

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
The tiers and layers of missions is cool, but why the hell did they put it on the playfield if it was not set in stone? the playfield instructions are outdated now.