• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Star Trek at Starburst

Beafraid

Dec 13, 2012
Maple
Plays nice. it feels solid much like acdc. the back of the head is now a sheet of metal, no more wood. the latch with the big key is gone. there are two bolts that go into the cab itself that hold it somehow. looks good with the led's and some color changers. it will play fast if you can make the shots. i haright flipperd a 10 way combo on the ramps, felt good. the drop under the ship shakes it when you hit it. the kick back under the ship fires it back at you pretty good in multiball. should be a fun game.

the upper right flipper when up allows the ball back into the shooter lane like WOZ. labeled as away team.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Thanks Mike. Can't wait to see what the LEs look like. The Pro of this game seems really decent though.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Ok, got some games in at the showroom for Playdium in Toronto, here are my thoughts:

-For a "Pro" model it looked awesome with all the leds and clear plastic ramps. It definitely outshined all the other Pros on the showroom.
-Game placed smooth as ice. You start looping those shots and you are in pinball nirvana.
-Upper flipper can hit both the Warp ramp and Alpha ramp.
-The game plays so fast, you do not look at the dmd. So we're back to the old argument about how important is the display to a player.
-color changing inserts were great on the pro, I CAN NOT wait to see the Premium/LE light show.
-Sounds and music were great.
-the Vengeance toy has much more detail in person.
-Vengeance held multiple balls in lock (by magnet?)
-Vengeance had nice lights on it, bobble head effect was decent. Overall a good toy.
-Nice lighting effects already on the Pro.

I really don't have anything bad to say about the game. Can't comment too much on the software, but that will be the make or break for this game's longevity. as it is designed it is a 10.

My wife who is not a hardcore player got some games in and loved it and got some good MBs happening and looping shots. Very satisfying game to play.

For a Pro price of ~$5k, this game is a home run, no doubt. Bring on the LE!

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
Sweet, thanks for the photos. I noticed the ramps have opto's instead of physical ramp switches. Is this new for Stern? My Xmen and Tron had physical ramp switches.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for your post and review frolic. I couldn't make it to SB before 6pm today but I plan on stopping by at some point tomorrow or this weekend to give Star Trek a try.

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Forgive my ignorance. When you guys say "Starburst", are you talking about the store on Ronson, or Playdium in Mississauga. Thanks!

Beafraid

Dec 13, 2012
Maple
That flasher under the plastic between the pops is seriously bright. I could not look right at it when it was going off.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
So played Star Trek a few times on the weekend and was more then underwhelmed.

The software is at a point where it is almost as bad as Xmen was on day one.

Losing balls, ending multiball early and all sorts of very obvious bugs that it still amazes me that Stern lets out the door.

Also the software at this point is about as uninspired as it gets, start a mode, play a mode, rinse repeat, shots in each mode and not varied at all, think of how boring the modes are in TDK and you have ST. But you have 6 crappy modes instead of 4.

This machine may also end up with one major flaw, the "3 in a row" for captains chair mulitball, if they are not careful and make the modes actually worth anything all you are going to see is people starting modes and timing them out to get to the more lucrative multiball.

I do like the warp shot the way it feeds the upper flipper again is really fast and makes repeating the shot tough.

I won't bother commenting on the actual look of the machine other then to say that Stern removed the one thing they have always done better then Williams in their back box latch. That great latch with the allen key has been removed in favor of two bolts that now hold the head in.

End of the day unless they really step up the software, they have another dog on our hands.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
frolic said:
the store on Ronson. Starburst was the original name, lots of people still call it that.
I believe it is still also the legal nae for the business. The receipts I've gotten fromt hem state something like Cineplex/Starburst

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Vengeance said:
This machine may also end up with one major flaw, the "3 in a row" for captains chair mulitball, if they are not careful and make the modes actually worth anything all you are going to see is people starting modes and timing them out to get to the more lucrative multiball.

You mean like with STTNG? :D

Adam you comment on software which is fine, but how does the game FEEL? does it flow well? Are the shots fun to make in succession? Or is the whole thing just another "fan" layout? Does it play like it looks, a standard-body STTNG?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
No cause in ST:TNG the modes have purpose, you need to at least play each one to the point that you get an artifact so that you can make the wizard mode much more lucrative. Also each of the modes feels very different in ST:TNG

Asteroid - simple hurry up, hit one shot to set in a value then all shots lite for that value
Worm hole - Right ramp and left loop raise shot value, Warp ramp collects value
Rescue - Switch hit mode, switches add "crew" to the shuttle craft, hole transports 5 crew members, 50 crew members told needed to finish, collect on center or right ramp
Battle Simulation - Use the cannons to hit each of the holes alternating between the two cannons
Q - (I love this mode) Only mode stack able with mulitball, various shots light based on the shots hit, mode continues to run with increasing value for shot as long as shots are made before timing out, Q standup will add 1 more shot.
Time Warp - All shots lit for a base value, stand up targets on left increase value and reset timer.
Search the Galaxy - Hit 3 shots to complete the mode, hit 3 shots in the order they are called to get a bonus 4th shot and another artifact.

That is a good example of variety in modes that makes a game fun. I like ST:TNG, I sold mine yes but not because the game isn't fun to play, it's more that I never saw it in tournaments and I'm trying to build a competition collection. I'd buy another one for sure eventually

The new Star Trek has none of that variety, there is no reason to play out the modes, nothing to collect and the shots don't change, hitting one shot and then the next doesn't change anything. It's all very boring, and not fun at all to play.

As for how it feels, it doesn't feel anything like ST:TNG. Both ramps are easy backhands so that is the safer route to take when hitting them, the orbit is tight and doesn't flow well to the upper flipper. The Vengeance drop target is just that a drop target in the middle of the machine, I don't care much for the toy, as it rocks a bit when you hit the target but that is all.

The mode start under the flipper is kinda dumb when you have the ability to start a mode at the much easier shot on the right scoop.

Let me put it another way. All the games were on coin drop, I was more then willing to dump $1 to play Metallica over and over again, ST was on $.75 and I could only be bothered to play it more then a couple of times as I wasn't enjoying playing it when I put my money into the machine.

REVOLUTION said:
You mean like with STTNG? :D

Adam you comment on software which is fine, but how does the game FEEL? does it flow well? Are the shots fun to make in succession? Or is the whole thing just another "fan" layout? Does it play like it looks, a standard-body STTNG?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
As with all new stern out the door, the software ALWAYS sucks... Give it until after Christmas before any real bashing. :)

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Menace said:
As with all new stern out the door, the software ALWAYS sucks... Give it until after Christmas before any real bashing. :)

D

No benefit of the doubt anymore with Stern, tried that with TF and Xmen so fooled twice thus far, not a third :)

Every Stern is wait and see from me, I don't care how awesome they make the LE.

Unless it's Lyman doing the code, I'd have every faith in him getting it done right.