• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Spiroagnew's basement thread

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
superjackpot said:
Well, I guess it's done already. :oops: Still, something to consider for you or the next guy.

Ya...that would have been a great idea to wrap it in carpet! A buddy also suggested it. Its boxed in now, though. They are going to be painted white for the time being. I may paint them myself later one of the main colours (blue or orange) if it's not "too much on the eyes".

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
websherpa said:
Your wife's first name isn't "Imelda" is it? :D

Imelda Marcos, first lady of shoes, was the answer to a trivia question that won my wife a $50 shoe gift certificate recently. Luckily for us, her hobby costs relatively little as she's constantly winning these gift certificates and on the hunt for deeply discounted shoes and other girly ephemera. Her online community helps a lot in that respect. She often wins pairs outright, or they will arrive with a invoice for $15 or less. Even though she has "quantity" nailed down, her focus is on quality, believe it or not.

And WHY did you have to curse me with a story about a flooded basement full of shoes? Not cool, Wayne.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
mwong168 said:
It's good to see there is a power outlet inside your wife's shoe closet. Who knows maybe one day she will get out of her shoe hobby and you can put your grail pin inside there and have shelving for all your trophies too ;)

Trophies? "Dumbest Pinball Purchase of 2014" for the promised Bugs Bunny Birthday Ball?

The only chance I'll have to claim this space is if she decides to relocate to one of the upstairs kid rooms when they fly the nest...

Three power outlets in there for the record. Overkill. But its up to code. I bet the electricians thought it was going to be a bedroom, too, by the size of it.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
One of the contractor's assistants arrived this morning with some building materials, gave my kid a high five as he always does, and proceeded to the basement. Seconds later, I hear his boisterous voice call out: "YES!! FINALLY A BASEMENT THAT ISN'T BEIGE!!"

The orange is done, and much of the blue is as well. I'm happy with it. My wife convinced me to go with the orange that "popped" the most, and maybe that was a mistake...I maybe should have dialed it down a bit. The blue on the walls isn't a true Islanders royal blue, but once the darker carpet gets down and the matted pictures get up, it'll even things out.

Open up the box of crayons boys, Spiroagnew is getting his basement painted.
basement12.jpg

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
spiroagnew said:
And WHY did you have to curse me with a story about a flooded basement full of shoes? Not cool, Wayne.

Actually, it works the other way, it's like buying insurance, or wanting to win a lottery - if you can think or prepare for it to happen, it never will. ;)

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Orange works. Warm colours work best in basements because cold colours make you feel cold. Usually that's why people go beige, it's brighter, warm, and they leave plain white or light blue for the ceiling to give the imagination a feeling that there is open space overhead.

One thing for sure, knowing how tall you are, you and guests are NOT going to bump your head on the hvac bulkheads. :D

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
While the guys work away on the little things in the basement like touch-ups and access covers, I've been trying to visualize the space and tracking down a few things to PUT in the basement. I've been hunting kijiji for a mannequin torso(s) to display my game used Isles jerseys...who knew people who owned a plethora of display mannequins were this odd to deal with! I've got an alcove built to feature one. I want to display them in the open air rather than matting them in a display frame where you can access them easily.

Also went to Ikea and bought one of their Expedit shelving units to use for the media stand. I'll obviously be laying it on its side, four cubes across, two high. These Ikea guys took vinyl into consideration when they manufactured the Expedit series...as 80-90 LPs fit perfectly in each cube. I'll line up my LPs below, and the audio receiver, record player, and video components will be arranged on top. Opted for the high gloss white version, rather than going with the standard Ikea Black/Brown...a colour which we have a bit of in the house already. After being schooled on turntable setups by Menace, and having my mind blown by the price of audio equipment, I opted to go simple and cheap--an Onkyo receiver with pre-amp built in, Pioneer bookshelf speakers (highly reviewed, STOLEN from newegg.com for $60 in a flash sale), and keeping my old $150 turntable in service for a few more years before I buy something more fancy. My ears have been assaulted by live concerts at small venues and close range firearm discharges for many years, so it ain't the best anymore...chances are, this will be good enough for my poor hearing. At least I'll have the crackle and pop of old vinyl to listen to while flipping around on these old games.

Not quite the record hutch from the deleted scene in High Fidelity...
deleted-records-1024x562.jpg

...but the Expedit, $99 in high gloss (below) or $79 in regular finish, is the perfect budget shelving for vinyl!
expedit-shelving-unit__0115206_PE268427_S4.jpg

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Heh... The expedit stuff is a must for any vinyl collector. At last count I've got 7 of these things in my house at the moment! (2 of the big daddy 5x5, 2 of the 4x4, 2 of the 2x4 and one 2x2) Yeah, I think it's safe to say I might have a "few" pieces of wax. :)

D

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Its all hands on deck around here this morning. All shapes and sizes of tradesmen have been barrelling into the basement this morning. Family Day must have put them behind! Lots of little things to be taken care of as well as the majority of the electrical fixtures to be installed. Carpet goes in this Thursday...as soon as its down the machines come out of the unfinished work room. A lot hinges on that as there is a bit of plumbing and electrical to be done in there, and none of it can be done because every square inch of floor space is being taken up by pins. I'd rather not yank them all out for six hours to just have to put them back in again for Thursday's install.

On a positive note, I sourced some vintage fibreglass mannequin torsos out of Hamilton to display my game worn hockey jerseys. Just need a few sets of cheap (or, used) shoulder pads to fill out the jersey a bit. Since they are game worn by the players, they are larger than the off-the-rack sporting goods store jerseys, and would benefit from a bit of bulking up. As shown below, one display fits perfectly in the natural alcove. I'll put the others on a tabletop display. Enough sports talk...back to pinball.

basement13.jpg

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Nice use of that pocket in the wall there Rob and hope you can setup your pins by the weekend!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Sweet colours!
When I wanted to go with a non-traditional basement treatment, everyone thought I was nuts.
You're gonna love it!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Hmmm... only 15A circuits for the "arcade"? Any reason you didn't opt for 20A? The cost of going from 14/2 to 12/2 for those circuits can't be that drastic can it?

D

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Menace said:
Hmmm... only 15A circuits for the "arcade"? Any reason you didn't opt for 20A? The cost of going from 14/2 to 12/2 for those circuits can't be that drastic can it?

D

I did look into it...but it seemed a bit overkill. I realize collections can get out of hand easily, but I can't see the basement housing more than 8 machines in it total at one time (my wife has a cap of 7 anyhow)...and I'm under the impression that what they have marked off there as "arcade" use is enough to handle the load in those rare instances when multiple games will be on at once.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
As long as you do not go more than 3-4 games (DMDs) on each circuit, you should be okay. Just verify that the two outlets you plan to use are isolated from each other. Should be okay.

If you can split the games across 3 lines, even better... but it's doubtful the electricians would have laid things out that way unless specifically instructed.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
DRANO said:
As long as you do not go more than 3-4 games (DMDs) on each circuit, you should be okay. Just verify that the two outlets you plan to use are isolated from each other. Should be okay.

If you can split the games across 3 lines, even better... but it's doubtful the electricians would have laid things out that way unless specifically instructed.

I think they laid things out properly...because I told them how everything was going to be laid out. On the long wall where I will be putting my pins I will have three seperate circuits at my disposal with two outlets for each circuit. That should work, right?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Yup. Should be plenty. Just test the circuit first by plugging something in and tripping the breaker; then see if the other two are still live... and so on.

7-8 games on 3 circuits is more than fine, I would think.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yep, 4 DMD's on a 15A is perfect as long as your supply voltage is good. I sometimes forget that not everyone has (or plans) to have 20 pins in the basement. :D

D

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Free........free at last! The end is in sight! Still a few days before they get set up but at least they are out.

On a disappointing note, the carpet is more tasteful now that it's down in the large space. It was more vulgar when looking at small samples. This makes my wife happy. It's two shades of blue and a bit of orange but it looks grey in the picture below...odd.

qupu9a5e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk