• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Spiroagnew's basement thread

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Hugthemouse said:
Noticed some steel on the ceiling...are you going with a drop ceiling or drywall?

Drywall ceiling. Pros and cons for each way, I guess. The drywall gives it a cleaner look overall...and they were able to keep everything as tight as possible, giving me the maximum headroom for both pins and myself. A drop ceiling would have looked odd given some of the boxing-in acrobatics that had to be done.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
What a difference a day makes. At the end of the day on Friday, 90% of the drywall has been hung. The walls are really starting to close in now...literally. Started off with this MASSIVE space, and now, well, it looks miniscule. Anyone else get that feeling with their renos? Its mostly an optical illusion. Well, the shoe closet isn't an optical illusion. THAT is a massive space. Can't help but rub it in--my buddy is finishing his basement too, on his own and at a snails pace, and what has been accomplished here in less than two weeks is one step ahead of what he has done in the last three years! I'm civil about it though, for the most part.

Unfinished work room on the left, shoe closet on the right, main gaming area straight ahead.
basement8.jpg

Pins to be lined up on the left wall, media centre with TV hung on the centre wall. Going to have to put some padding on that double low bulkhead...a couple of beers and you may lose an eye!
basement7.jpg

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Hugthemouse said:
Good idea to put down the underpad for warmth on the floor. Good to see your guy is dropping the heating vents to the floor too.

What happens in the summer when you're cooling? Curious because Im planning my own reno and basement comfort has been much on my mind since its one of the harder spaces to equalize.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Adding drywall always makes a framed room look a little smaller, especially if you're doing the ceiling. That last pic is pretty lucky though-if that were my kids, one of them would have climbed on/jumped in the pile of drywall scraps already and made a huge mess :)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Looking good Rob! I can't wait to see your wall with all your pins setup in a few weeks.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Mud and tape this week. Paint colours picked. A royal blue for the walls...it could pass as an Islanders or Funhouse blue. Dropped bulkheads will be accented in orange. Wife picked a shade of teal for the shoe closet...so basically, bring your sunglasses when you come to visit. I have coordinated carpet install on Feb 20th...as soon as it is down, I get to haul the games out.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
FInishing the basement will always make the amount of room available feel smaller (and it will be actually smaller) having said that I wouldn't hesitate to do it to add liveable space. Congrats Rob .. I know we had 20 people down in the basement on Friday for TCPL and it was a little crowded but it worked out fine.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Menace said:
Speaking of hauling games out... Where did you end up tucking them?

They are Jenga'd in the furnace/work area which will remain unfinished. They all fit in nicely side by each, and were never unwrapped from the move back in October. A couple have been folded since May when we put our old house up for sale. Needless to say, some electrical and plumbing needs to be done in that work room, and the tradesmen have been very accommodating, agreeing to return and finish it after the carpet is installed.

My contractor was a huge pinball guy in university, so he says. Claims most of his student loan money went to a TAF on King St. in Hamilton in the early 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Finishing touches on the mud/tape/sanding this morning...yes, on a Saturday. Trim guy comes tomorrow...yes, on a Sunday. Seems the snow last Wednesday put a few schedules out of whack. Now we are reaching a point in the progress where photos may actually be interesting...rather than just depicting various stages of drywall installation. The shelving for the shoe closet has been straightened away. My wife sat down with pencil, paper, measuring tape and calculator last week and estimated how much shelving space she would need for her shoe collection and also accounted for future shoe purchases. It was the most math she had performed in a very long time...she’s an English/History teacher so math is not utilized very often.

On a side note, I wonder if, on my wife's shoe message board, they have a wise sage who uses rhyming couplets in deep philosophical posts about shoes much like Scott does for us here...

basement9.jpg

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Trim finished up on Sunday afternoon, onto paint. I was working the past two days, and my wife went to the basement for a quick inspection on Monday after the painters had left...she texted and said the blue they used was a way lighter shade than she remembered me selecting but said she liked it. I politely explained that it was just the primer. I'm actually very concerned that the selected colours will be a bit too over the top...thankfully there will be so much shit hanging on the walls it will take away from the abrasive colour choice. And hey, its a rumpus room...its supposed to be a bit off the wall.

SHELVING in the SHOE CLOSET! Enough for 200 pairs of shoes! (She did the math)
basement11.jpg

Primed and ready to go.
basement10.jpg

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
It's good to see there is a power outlet inside your wife's shoe closet. Who knows maybe one day she will get out of her shoe hobby and you can put your grail pin inside there and have shelving for all your trophies too ;)

Awesome progress and I bet your friend who is finishing his own basement must be so jealous.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
mwong168 said:
It's good to see there is a power outlet inside your wife's shoe closet. Who knows maybe one day she will get out of her shoe hobby and you can put your grail pin inside there and have shelving for all your trophies too ;)

Awesome progress and I bet your friend who is finishing his own basement must be so jealous.

I'm sure she's thinking the same about his hobby :D

Nice work Rob.
Keep'em coming

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
DRANO said:
mwong168 said:

I'm sure she's thinking the same about his hobby :D

Nice work Rob.
Keep'em coming

Oh you KNOW it's true! LMFAO!

D

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
spiroagnew said:
SHELVING in the SHOE CLOSET! Enough for 200 pairs of shoes! (She did the math)
basement11.jpg

Your wife's first name isn't "Imelda" is it? :D

1337065365-MArikina.jpg

Apparently, however, this shoe collection of over 3000 pairs was housed in a basement and subsequently destroyed by a flood..... just sayin'

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
A suggestion, if I may, and if it's not too late... don't box your poles in with framing and drywall. You will lose even more precious space. In my basement I had the i-beam support poles wrapped in carpet. When the floor carpeting was installed the installers glued carpet lengths directly to the pole. The seam runs vertically. This provides sufficient padding and reduces the profile of the poles. You really do notice them less.

Mississauga-20140212-01043.jpg

Mississauga-20140212-01042.jpg

Mississauga-20140212-01044.jpg