• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FS "Not Mine" Pinball Machines For Sale

EvanDickson

Aug 8, 2015
Charlottetown
I wonder if it's a guy who wants an Addams Family and posts a fake low ball ad in the hopes of establishing a new lower baseline price.

There's something about TAF that encourages trolls. I post wanted ads for a TAF, and every time I refresh it I get a handful of trolls responding. "I'll give you one FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS!", or "yeah, I have 7 for sale", and one person who just wants me to know how expensive they are and sends me ebay ads for $15k USD sales.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
There's something about TAF that encourages trolls. I post wanted ads for a TAF, and every time I refresh it I get a handful of trolls responding. "I'll give you one FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS!", or "yeah, I have 7 for sale", and one person who just wants me to know how expensive they are and sends me ebay ads for $15k USD sales.

It's a two part effect. First off, although a somewhat successful tactic for some, pinball collectors (as opposed to sycophant "flippers") poo poo the public Kijiji "Pinball Wanted" ads because some people and thieves often misused that way of obtaining machines from unsuspecting public. Often offering copious amounts of money in an ad only to see a machine and offer a pittance with some excuse about it's condition. And so people who make those posts have to have a hard skin. It's one thing to give a seller their asking price (and it being a good deal for the buyer) than the other way around from an ethical stand-point.

That is why it's often called (by me anyways) "The Pinball Piracy" because it's generally an every man for himself kind of hobby.

Secondly TAF (and to a lesser extent Indiana Jones, Medieval Madness and Monster Bash) was pretty much the first pinball that was so popular as a used item (even in the collectors markets) that it's value appreciated higher and quicker than almost any other. It was over-priced on eBay (where pinballs were often sold to the public) more than a decade ago ... so TAF's pricing has a bit of a jaded following from those collectors who wish they had one.

Reactions: Rascal

ibjeepin

Sep 18, 2013
Toronto
It's a two part effect. First off, although a somewhat successful tactic for some, pinball collectors (as opposed to sycophant "flippers") poo poo the public Kijiji "Pinball Wanted" ads because some people and thieves often misused that way of obtaining machines from unsuspecting public. Often offering copious amounts of money in an ad only to see a machine and offer a pittance with some excuse about it's condition. And so people who make those posts have to have a hard skin. It's one thing to give a seller their asking price (and it being a good deal for the buyer) than the other way around from an ethical stand-point.

That is why it's often called (by me anyways) "The Pinball Piracy" because it's generally an every man for himself kind of hobby.

Secondly TAF (and to a lesser extent Indiana Jones, Medieval Madness and Monster Bash) was pretty much the first pinball that was so popular as a used item (even in the collectors markets) that it's value appreciated higher and quicker than almost any other. It was over-priced on eBay (where pinballs were often sold to the public) more than a decade ago ... so TAF's pricing has a bit of a jaded following from those collectors who wish they had one.

One thing missing in your assesment to note is I think the offering tons of money sight unseen (with shitty small out of focus from 15 feet away kijiji pics) is a trait used by all categories of people now. Its a way to get your foot in the door. Its the true confidence man (scumbag) that can now talk their way down to a cheap price and leave with a machine. Many of us just walk away. But without being there first, well your last! (Ricky Bobby) :)

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
For a while there, there was enough unwanted pinball stock out there in other arenas like operator barns. And people would practically pay you to get a big hunk of dead junk out of their basement. Collectors who had access would often push their excess through to other collectors (often to "trade up", sometimes to make a "little" profit for their effort). But as the pinball revolution gained speed, the "foot in the door" stock dwindled and the ambulance chasing began. That's about when I started to get out. Kudos to the brave who stick in there. It's amazing to think that you can buy pinball parts from more than just two or four suppliers.

A few started to really turn the hobby into a business (and it's ALWAYS been a scummy business, I know, my family was in the thick of it). I even made a half-hearted attempt to become a parts supplier (and have a garage full of parts to testify to that). And that's when the dwindling supply of used pins really started to diminish (and the corresponding value skyrocketed). We were the engineers of our hobby's own elevation to the stratosphere it now has. This also happened to late mechanical collectable slot machines. Stupid pricing for what are nearly useless antiques (because the nostalgia of those who lived their original era - and the coins that run them - is almost gone) and the market value is starting to fall. The same will happen with pinball, just not soon enough for my liking. And don't listen to me, I'm just brooding. lol ;-)

Reactions: Rascal

Metallica and Monster Bash SOLD to pinballer. They have never seen such beautiful machines very happy with their purchases and convinced of having paid the fair price. They can not believe their eyes. Keep in mind a lot on gravy in my pinball.

ibjeepin

Sep 18, 2013
Toronto
Metallica and Monster Bash SOLD to pinballer. They have never seen such beautiful machines very happy with their purchases and convinced of having paid the fair price. They can not believe their eyes. Keep in mind a lot on gravy in my pinball.

APRIL FOOLS!:p

Reactions: luch

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
A couple of listings from Ottawa that actually seem like pretty fair deals for DMD's in today's market. I'd be curious to know more about condition versus price if anyone is going to check them out.

WCS94 - $3,500
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collecti...ll/1252545902?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

F-14 - $3,500
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collecti...ll/1252542108?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

JOHNNY MNEMONIC - $3,800
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collecti...me/1252531516?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Reactions: mitch_a