• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

NEED HELP WITH XMEN REPAIR

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
I put LED's in my XMEN and a led socket slipped out of it's holder and touched the thing that activates the slingshot while I was playing. Then all my lighting under the playfield went out and stayed out, all the GI lighting is still on, just under the cab is out. The game was plugged in and running when I did this. I checked all the fuses I could see and they were ok, any ideas?? Pics below:

THIS TOUCHED THE OTHER THING.

Please help.

Thanks in advance. :)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Sometimes you can't tell if a fuse is good or bad by visually inspecting it unless it clearly looks like this:

8028645604_c9d14a741a_z.jpg

If you don't have a DMM (digital multi meter) I would suggest getting one because if you plan on staying in this hobby long you will find it very useful. Using the DMM test for continuity of each fuse and touch each end with the probe. If you hear a beep that means the fuse is good and make sure you pull one end out like this before testing or else you might get a false reading.

s11fuse1.jpg

Hopefully it is just a fuse and let this be a lesson learned that when working under your playfield have the game turned off. Also don't be lazy and work through the coin door either :lol:

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
mwong168 said:
Sometimes you can't tell if a fuse is good or bad by visually inspecting it unless it clearly looks like this:

8028645604_c9d14a741a_z.jpg

If you don't have a DMM (digital multi meter) I would suggest getting one because if you plan on staying in this hobby long you will find it very useful. Using the DMM test for continuity of each fuse and touch each end with the probe. If you hear a beep that means the fuse is good and make sure you pull one end out like this before testing or else you might get a false reading.

s11fuse1.jpg

Hopefully it is just a fuse and let this be a lesson learned that when working under your playfield have the game turned off. Also don't be lazy and work through the coin door either :lol:

Oh I didn't pull one end out though. I will try that now!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
quarter grabber said:
Oh I didn't pull one end out though. I will try that now!

Be careful pulling fuses out and try to use something around the house that you can use to hook the fuse from behind and pop the fuse out. I've seen people use a flat and try to pry it out and even needle nose pliers FFS! I ordered one of these a few years ago from pinball life for $3.

8240459.jpg

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Continuity.

What fuses did you check?
There are some on the boards... But possibly some under the playfield too.
I don't have access to my XM right now.

The schematics will also tel you what fuses cover the GI and controlled lamps. Pretty sure there is a label in the backbox with this info too.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
quarter grabber said:
I did a contingency test on the fuses and they were ok unless there is a fuse I don't know about?

You probably mean "continuity" :D

Worst case, stern would likely send you a new one.

Did you have to coin door shut while doing this? If so your high voltage was live.. very dangerous!

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
I tested every fuse in the backbox and all three fuses under the playfield. I pulled each one and tested outside of the machine. They were all good?
And yes the coindoor was closed. I didn't know it was dangerous. :oops:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Time to read schematics and figure out the controlled lamps circuit.
Something got blown... but the fuse should've gone first. That is very strange.

If you have an LE, I believe there is a separate board under the playfield hat controls the RGB lighting. Not sure if it also does the controlled lamps. Probably does since all lights except the GI are out.

It's possible that board got fried.

Wish I could be more specific.

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
Here is an answer I got from Pinside:

"I am thinking the VN02N relays may be damaged. They would be labeled something like U10 through U17. The other possibility I see is Q33-Q42 transistors."

Anybody know how I check those?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I would recommend having your boards looked at by a professional.
Board repair is probably not something you want to get into at this stage. You can do a lot more damage than good.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I would call the person you bought this NIB Xmen Pro from and see if something can be done via warranty :p

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Never hurts to ask... the worst they can say is no. (and Stern has been known to help other owners in the past with stuff like this, a particular shaker motor horror story comes to mind) Stern may also know exactly what components may have been damaged and at the very least give you an idea of what will need to be done to fix the issue.

D

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
I tried putting a new LED in and it didn't light up. What I did notice though was that there is still some light coming out of the LED's, just a little bit, kind of like ghosting. I did a continuity test on the fuse (pulled out) and it was ok?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yeah, you've fried part or all of the lamp matrix by shorting it to the coil voltage. This is going to require PCB repair for sure. Call Stern first and see what they recommend, you may get lucky.

D

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Menace said:
Yeah, you've fried part or all of the lamp matrix by shorting it to the coil voltage. This is going to require PCB repair for sure. Call Stern first and see what they recommend, you may get lucky.

D

This. Stern will likely just send you a replacement board.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Menace said:
...a particular shaker motor horror story comes to mind

1xMPU and 2xDMD casualties :FP: So don't feel bad quarter grabber, sure Brock or Stern will be able to help sort things out.

Remember for next time any sort of work you do on any games always have it off and don't forget to double check stuff before you turn it on for first time too!