• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Allentown 2014

ThunderStorm

Jan 2, 2013
Waterloo
If anyone knows anyone selling a scared stiff down there or locally let me know I want one desperately. And im heading down late wednesday night.

Eric

tim.sanderson

I’m still trying to find the best/least expensive way of keeping in touch with friends and family while I am in Allentown. If there’s WiFi at the hotel or venue, my problem is solved. If not I may have a solution...

Doing a bit of digging around tonight, I managed to find my "America phone".

A year and a half ago I went to Florida with a bunch of friends. I didn't want to use my regular phone for anything other than WiFi because I didn't have a suitable roaming plan. A friend said you can get a pay-as-you-go phone from Walmart for super-cheap. The first night we were there we found a Walmart. Sure enough the had old-timey flip phones for $10. This included $10 worth of time. I chose the $2/day plan that gave me a seemingly unlimited amount of local calls and texts. This was handy for keeping in touch with everyone that was with us. I even called/texted home to Ontario a handful of times, never running out of ‘time’ the 5 days we were there.

A few months later my buddy Mike and I went to the Shark Bar in Michigan to check out their games. The front desk at our hotel wouldn’t call us a cab because it was long distance. I had the America phone in my bag, so I figured I’d give it a shot. It still worked!

To make a long story slightly shorter, I found the phone tonight. I turned it on. It’s still fully charged! Of course here in Canada it switches over to TELUS. But once I cross the border and it switches back to Verizon, it should still be good to add a few bucks on to it.

Best $10 I ever spent!

Attachments

• america_phone.jpg
    america_phone.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 268

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Although my passport came in time, I was sitting on the fence about going down by myself. As it turns out, can't go anyway as a family emergency popped up yesterday. Hope you all have fun down there, how about keeping us info'ed with whats going on!

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Tim, I did the exact same thing when I went to Talladega last year. Pay-as-you-go phones down there are so effin' cheap, it's definitely the way to go. Nevermind that $40 your Canadian provider wants for 60 mins voice and whopping 8megs of data. :p

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
tim.sanderson said:
I’m still trying to find the best/least expensive way of keeping in touch with friends and family while I am in Allentown. If there’s WiFi at the hotel or venue, my problem is solved. If not I may have a solution...

Doing a bit of digging around tonight, I managed to find my "America phone".

A year and a half ago I went to Florida with a bunch of friends. I didn't want to use my regular phone for anything other than WiFi because I didn't have a suitable roaming plan. A friend said you can get a pay-as-you-go phone from Walmart for super-cheap. The first night we were there we found a Walmart. Sure enough the had old-timey flip phones for $10. This included $10 worth of time. I chose the $2/day plan that gave me a seemingly unlimited amount of local calls and texts. This was handy for keeping in touch with everyone that was with us. I even called/texted home to Ontario a handful of times, never running out of ‘time’ the 5 days we were there.

A few months later my buddy Mike and I went to the Shark Bar in Michigan to check out their games. The front desk at our hotel wouldn’t call us a cab because it was long distance. I had the America phone in my bag, so I figured I’d give it a shot. It still worked!

To make a long story slightly shorter, I found the phone tonight. I turned it on. It’s still fully charged! Of course here in Canada it switches over to TELUS. But once I cross the border and it switches back to Verizon, it should still be good to add a few bucks on to it.

Best $10 I ever spent!

T-MOBLIE does the $2/day unlimited data plans down states side (and you only pay the days you use .. mind you they do expire at some point) ... pickup a sim ($10) put it in your unlocked phone and for $2/day you are golden (you buy $10+ recharges from T-Moblie)

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
I couldn't go to Allantown but would have been looking for a WCS and maybe a Gotltlieb add a ball....anyone see these machines there and what were prices like?

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
So I was there and met up with absolutely no one from the board (except Bally Boy aka Dan)! :FP:

I can't believe it!
Had a good time, but sorry I missed out on hooking up with my online friends here...

We did go to Tilted Kilts after I got a text from Scott that he and Adriano were calling it a night early on Friday but didn't meet up with anyone.

Show was cool. I noticed a ton of games getting folded up and moved out before Saturday. Did more games come in for sale or free play ?

I picked up a couple of sheets of glass, a new TZ translight a bunch of bulbs and parts...All in all, very successful...Unfortunately, I didn't pull the trigger on an Addams Family. There were at least 3 for sale but prices were high.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Yup, it was a quieter show than last year (from a social/evening point of view). Probably would've been good to exchange numbers with a few people beforehand ;)
However, even texting was painful as many didn't have any data/phone plans in place.

Pete,
We did see a nice WCS at the show and plenty of add-a-balls. Scott and I picked up a few ;)

tim.sanderson

The phone didn't work out for me this year. I had trouble loading minutes on to it, even waited on hold for 30+ minutes on two separate occasions. Perhaps it was too long without using the number. Next time I go to the states I will definitely buy another phone, add a package to my normal phone, or do what Dan mentioned and buy a US sim card. Such a pain in the ass not having a phone down there!

I had a ton of fun, this was my first Pin Fest. It was great to meet so many people that I've only spoke to online. (Sorry we all missed you, tkaye!) I definitely played a crap-load of pins.

I picked up the 11c CPU I needed so badly. I also bought LED's & misc parts for Jokerz, a manual for Rollergames and an old Gottlieb Dragon PF to practice touch-ups on.

Next time I might have to bring a game home.

Attachments

• gottlieb dragon PF.jpg
    gottlieb dragon PF.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 11c_cpu.jpg
    11c_cpu.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 148

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
DRANO said:
We did see a nice WCS at the show and plenty of add-a-balls. Scott and I picked up a few ;)

Nice on the add a balls...I have a Batter Up add-a-ball and want another one. Which ones did you pick up? And be sure to let me know if you tire of them...Were the prices good?

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
A-town was good. Great to see everyone.
Sorry we never met up Todd. (tkaye) Apologies.
Pete, (nics135) Drano and I picked up Freefall + Jungle King Wedgehead add-a-balls first.

We also picked up more than a few other pins once we knew the trailer that was reserved
a few months ago was necessary for the return trip home. Good times.

Now the hard part begins. What to let go of...

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Menace said:
Damn pinball sponsor must have been drunk at the wheel this weekend!!! LOL

D

Scott did avoid a few basketcase projects thanks to cooke. Glad to hear everyone had a great time and got home safely!

Scott, what was going on here with DavidC? Did you break the news to him that Saturday night at the Stonewall was a joke all along by cooke?

3hEw-vgxi1IrXqSsQdga8ze82OAROT_hULfMvn2evv23JRdrGQc0RF1qOc2alJSoJQ=w1232-h501