• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

All my pins under one roof - the TRUE holy grail!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
One more big step for the basement... insulation!

I know, I know... not very exciting stuff. But, this is my first time using the spray foam and it is seriously cool.
I let the guys in this morning; went to work. Came back a couple of hours later at lunch and this is what I found.

Too bad I don't own a Cirqus Voltaire. This is definitley ringmaster approved stuff :D

Later this week I will have the ceiling insulated for sound and then drywalled.

Attachments

• Basement_foam SM.jpg
    Basement_foam SM.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 875
  • Ringmaster.jpg
    Ringmaster.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 875

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Adriano, that looks so neat and is a great all in one solution. Always liked how this stuff goes on (watching Mike Holmes a lot).

Who did you use for the spray foam? This would be perfect for my garage (to better insulate the bedroom wall facing into it). There are too many rafters that join into the wall to work around. I've often wanted to spray...

I suspect this stuff costs about 2-3x more than regular bundle insulation (e.g. Roxul).

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
superjackpot said:
Adriano, that looks so neat and is a great all in one solution. Always liked how this stuff goes on (watching Mike Holmes a lot).

Who did you use for the spray foam? This would be perfect for my garage (to better insulate the bedroom wall facing into it). There are too many rafters that join into the wall to work around. I've often wanted to spray...

I suspect this stuff costs about 2-3x more than regular bundle insulation (e.g. Roxul).

Funny enough, I got them to quote doing my basement and the garage shop area (once I get it framed).
It's definitley more expensive, but when I factor in my materials cost on the roxul, the extra time to do the vapor barrier and all that mess... not to mention the invariably imperfect job that those products will produce, this was not crazy. Maybe 25%-30% more? I especially love the idea of a perfectly sealed wall. This product does a lot more than just insulate.

I shopped around and spoke with a few contractors and Great Northern Insulation was the one that most guys in-the-know spoke highly of. Give them a shout.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Sort of a terrible shot, but we have a ceiling!
The walls will be a bit of a surprise, so I'll reveal those once they're done.

One other neat update.
My subfloor came in. This is a super low profile 1/2" all plastic floor tile that can be used as-is, or as a subfloor for carpeting and any other material.
I was going to use DRIcore, but after having used it before, I wasn't crazy about the nearly 1" loss in ceiling height and, if it ever gets wet, the wood portion of the panels make them garbage.

I was quoted quite a lot of money by a local "dry basement" company to install these. Then, I remembered having seen them used as a garage/sport flooring.
Off to Costco I went to verify it was the same thing and whammo! $3 sq.ft. vs almost $5 installed by a professional.
they snap together pretty easily and I bought extra for my garage/shop space.

Attachments

• IMG_4101.JPG
    IMG_4101.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 813
  • IMG_4102.JPG
    IMG_4102.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 813
  • IMG_4103.JPG
    IMG_4103.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 813
  • IMG_4104.JPG
    IMG_4104.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 813

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
And finally,
With so many renos giong on all over the house and packing boxes everywhere, my recent haul of games from la belle provence had to go somewhere.
It looks like I'll be laying the flooring half a room at a time :)

Huge thanks to Scott (WARLOCK) for going above and beyond on this latest pin-run and even delivering these to me a couple of days later and getting them into my basement!

Attachments

• IMG_4106.PNG
    IMG_4106.PNG
    983.1 KB · Views: 811

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Ill be covering it.
Still debating on a low pile carpet or some durable vinyl (faux wood) rolled product.
The vinyl will be easier to clean and less of a problem in the event of any flooding.

Decisions decisions.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I love the purple foam. Sweet! (not kidding)
It was suggested on the weekend to just leave it as is.
I like Drano's fun "maybe" final plan better, it will look just great.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
WARLOCK said:
I love the purple foam. Sweet! (not kidding)
It was suggested on the weekend to just leave it as is.
I like Drano's fun "maybe" final plan better, it will look just great.

Yeah, I got a big smile on my face the second I saw it. It took me by surprise. I immediately thought "this space needs a CV" ;)

Sadly, yesterday I had my electrician in to hook up some stuff and disaster struck.
Several miscommunications led to a few wires being moved or run incorrectly and now my new ceiling had to be cut open to make everything right :FP:
It'll be all patched up today and the areas are not super obvious... but it still sucks.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I actually ripped out a ton of laminate flooring that was originally in this space. It's wasn't fantatstic stuff, but okay.
My thought was durability and resistance to moisture in a worst case scenario.

This is what I'm looking at. $4/sq.ft. installed. Not horrible. Carpet would be closer to $2/sq.ft. if I pick somoething the dealer has on the floor.
This wood stuff is made for punishment and it has some cool texture. Not enough to fool you for real, but good enough ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4106.JPG
    IMG_4106.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 729

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Okay,
Big weekend. I have walls! Brick ones at that!

If anyone saw Brewmanager's post about his trip to London, you might have seen that he helped haul these for me last week... at some great discomfort to himself I should add.
Apparently only a couple of Home Depot stores in Southern Ontario had any stock and Walt's trip to London was well timed... thanks man!

I know some will think it's cheesy, but I like it.
When I think of pinball I don't think of beautifully drywalled and carpeted basements. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I wanted a space that reminded me of the pool halls and dives that I played in as a kid. I considered 70's style wood panelling, but then went for the more industrial look of this textured brick. I wanted a place that I could feel comfortable hanging up a dartboard, some neon signs and my guitars too.

It's not perfect and I'll have to do quite a few touch-ups on the seams, but once I get the flooring in next Saturday and install some trim, it'll be great!

No more purple insulation **sniff**

Attachments

• Basement_brick2.jpg
    Basement_brick2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 697

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Cheesy isn't the word I'd use for it.....
puke.gif

But if you like that is all that matters.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I figure, once the machines are in, the brick will be a lot less prominent anyway... and it beats pink insulation and concrete.
Doesn't hurt that it's inexpensive too ;)
The whole room cost me about $700 in wall cladding.

Getting excited!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I think the whole overall feel of the room is going to come off exactly the way you want it. Looking at the empty room, I'm sure most people don't see the "vision", but I do... and I think you're going to pull it off perfectly. Can't wait to see it all done.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I think it looks great Adriano and all you are missing is a phurba that swings left and right as a door to get in and some sanctum wear :lol: I can't wait to see your game room all done and all your games finally setup under one roof instead of stacked and folded up at your work.