• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

All my pins under one roof - the TRUE holy grail!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Success!

I think this should do it.
It's the original plan, but slighly modified and more centred.
Now, up to four people can be at the bar/MAME with the post and have unobstructed views.

I just stuck the rod hockey in there to see what sort of room it would take up, but I can play that by ear once everything else is in.

Next step is to lay some painters tape on my floors to see where the new walls will go and get a feel for it. Then I can start framing!

Attachments

• Gamreoom-1b.jpg
    Gamreoom-1b.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,084

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
I'd totally volunteer to come help you frame Adriano but I'm going away on vacation for 9 days. Looks awesome though! Going to be an amazing space!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Just a small update.
There was a slight delay in framing the gameroom. Stupid things like bathrooms and kitchen kept getting in the way ;)

Well, I've got me some lumber and will be framing in the walls this weekend! Pot lights were installed last week.
Then I can get my electrician in to run the 20amp circuits for the machines.

Pics to follow... if I don't lose a finger ;)

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Okay,
So framing is done. One more big step on the road to my new game room :)

It took about 5hrs on Saturday but we got it all done.
I'm going to get the walls sprayed with foam insulation but first I'll be running 5 separate 20amp circuits to feed all the machines (4 outlets per). The electrician is coming Tuesday. You can already see the pot lights we installed last week.

With moving day coming up during Canada Day long weekend, I'm not sure how much more ill get done on the basement before then... but updates should start coming in more regularly in early July.

Attachments

• IMG_3470.JPG
    IMG_3470.JPG
    444.2 KB · Views: 992

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
Looking good man!
Do you really think you need to splurge on the spray foam insulation though? I find my basement holds the temp really well and I used regular Roxul and its more then enough R factor. Especially if you're considering adding a fireplace...whew!!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Well with older houses I find they hold temps fine during summer months but colder during the winter. I'm sure this house is going to be a keeper for Adriano and his family as it is located in a beautiful neighborhood, literally less then 10 minutes away from his work and close to other family too. I can't wait to see this room finished and have all his pins setup in one room as opposed to stacked and folded in one :lol:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I guess I'll see where the costs pan out. I like the idea of the nice seal that spray insulation offers. Also, I will be framing the double garage for conversion into my shop space and had planned to get the guys to spray that at the same time... and the garage could definitely use that extra seal. It'll come down to dollars.
One of my clients is in the business, so I'll see what sort of rate I can get.

For the ceiling I will be using the Roxul Safe'n'Sound product along with Quiet Rock drywall. Hopefully that will give me the soundproofing that I need.
Luckily this room will sit underneath our dining/living room and not near any bedrooms.

I'll probably be doing the same in our family room where the home theatre will go.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Not sure if you have thought about this or not, but pot lights produce terrible glare on machines. I have them in my basement and anywhere there is a pot light right above the machine it creates really bad glare on the glass.

Might be too late now, but I'd be making sure that based on where you are thinking about putting machines that no pot light ends up directly above it as it will be impossible to play.

My plan in my building since I will have the ceiling height is to use movable hanging florescent lights turned upside down so the light diffuses into the ceiling which should all but eliminate any glare on the machines when playing.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Thanks Adam,
I did plan ahead and made sure that the lights were all roughly around where the player would be. I also have pots in my current basement. The ones that were directly above machines got their bulbs pulled. But the ones that were too far back actually cast shadows from players' heads onto the playfield. Also not good if you are playing a game with a dark playfield already.

I decided that a disctance of 5' to 5'-6" off the wall was ideal. The only problem is that, with a 7' ceiling, this could place some serious heat over your head... so we'll probably be using LED bulbs that are dimmable.

The shorter ceiling will not allow me to do any sort of upside down lighting unfortunately.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
This was a big weekend!
We finally moved all the stuff from our old house. The sale officially closes in a few days.

Not a lot of progress to report on the gameroom yet... things had to take a back seat for the move.
The good news is that progress will come a lot faster now that we won't be splitting time between two places.

I now have 9 of my pins in the house.
More to come as soon as I can get the basement soundproofed and drywalled.
Here's a teaser shot from the move ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,025

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Definitely not accustomed to such a big rig :)
It was fun in the end... as much fun as is possible after two loads and 14 hours of moving.