• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

3D Printing

medvet

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
I've been researching before treating myself to a printer and wondering what you guys think. I don't want to be limited to small print area like the M3D so looking at Ultimaker 2 as both PLA and ABS or the 3D Dremel altho only PLA and limited to their spools only but easy to start with. Any opinions from the knowledge guys? I spent enough thru Mezelmods.com to justify the Ultimaker price unfortunately for me so mostly looking good printer but ease of use. I am good technically and software to design not a big deal but don't want a kit one or constant finicky printer. Thanks

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Hey ME,

I think it boils down to how intricate will your designs get? Will you want something with high resolutions to you get a very nice finished piece when the print it done or do you care if you have to sand and shape and do minor things to it after you're finished? Budget will play a big factor as well...

I know the Makerbot stuff is pretty popular, but I've always found the Formlabs gear to be superior... and they just started shipping their latest model Form 2 in November.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Makerbot is what we use at work.
We have the Replicator and a smaller model (not sure which) in another department.

Results are good but you have to really know how to tweak the models and settings.

Anyone can buy a 3D printer but that's only half the battle. If you don't have experience in making 3D files that are optimized for print, then you are limited to only printing what you can find on forums and free sites like thingiverse.

When Brock and I jumped on the micro through kickstarter that was over 2 years ago and it is great for small parts up to 4x4x4 (most pinball parts aren't that big after all) but, two years later, there are a lot more options on the market.