• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

3D Printing

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
Is anyone 3D printing yet, personal or business in the GTA?

I am looking for some of these http://shpws.me/CFgl and other parts. I'd rather keep my money at home! Final result below.
d0388cc66fbcc665c61becfed7517df391a7a8a4.jpg

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Grant,
Funny enough, I will be needing some of those for my Fathom project.

Are you in a hurry? I can probably make some soon

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
No rush and much appreciated. Check out SWINKS on pinside, he might share the files. I found some stuff on Thingverse but not these particular pieces.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
No rush and much appreciated. Check out SWINKS on pinside, he might share the files. I found some stuff on Thingverse but not these particular pieces.

I know Jady but I don't want to cramp his style by asking for something he sells.
I can draw this file in 5 min once I measure one up. That's not an issue.
I'll have to see if I have white material to print it with and it may not be as smooth and shiny as the ones pictured, but I'll give it a shot.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Wonder what kind of printer Jady uses? Form Labs perhaps? (if I was in the market for a desktop 3d printer, that's probably the one I'd splurge on)

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Here we go.
The one thing I didn't measure was the height. Duh!
I took a guess it was 3/4" tall.

I'll verify tonight and run a test print using some white ABS I found. My printer doesn't usually like ABS, but this is a simple part, maybe it'll be okay.

Screenshot 2016-01-06 16.07.04.png

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Looking Good. You gonna print it in blue for your Fathom project?

Of course I got home late last night and didn't get a chance to test print :(
I was just planning to do white.

I've seen white and black ones.... did they actually do them in other colors too?

libtech

Nov 14, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Would you guys recommend the m3d printer? Or a different option for the price, I was thinking of getting one to play with :)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
If you want to print with ABS material, I would recommend you look at other printers as the M3D cannot handle that material.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
If you want to print with ABS material, I would recommend you look at other printers as the M3D cannot handle that material.

D

Agreed. I bought some ABS spools when first ordering the Micro (not knowing it wasn't ideal) and I've had challenges with warping and keeping the piece on the print bed. Last night I even tried using double sided tape on the bed to help secure it... it still curled!

If I had some white PLA I could likley print it without any issue, but I'd have to order some.

Grant, I can give you the file and you can have it printed by an outside service. Probably still less than getting it from Australia.
My little micro is not suitable for producing parts in volume. This little piece took nearly 3hrs and failed.

20160108_015139.jpg

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
ABS is usually a more rigid and durable plastic that is used in the casting of many pinball parts. That's why I figured I should get some.

I don't know of all the applications for PLA but it seems more stable on a home use printer without a heated bed.

It's also pretty durable as far as I can see, but in small thicknesses it does seem more brittle.

Reactions: Slam_Tilt