• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

speaker buzzing

Paul

Feb 21, 2013
NewBrunswick
I picked up a stern Monopoly. There is a loud buzzing noise when turned on, at first i thought it was the transformer, but the sound is coming out of the speaker. Is the speaker bad ? what could be causing this, any ideals ?? Thanks

ALJO

Apr 6, 2013
St.Romuald
Did you try turning the game volume higher than 4 like "service Bulletin #133" says?
If so, did the humming sound stop Paul ?

Paul

Feb 21, 2013
NewBrunswick
Did you try turning the game volume higher than 4 like "service Bulletin #133" says?
If so, did the humming sound stop Paul ?
I did turn it higher and same thing. I had my buddy solder new transistors in like the bulletin says as well. It helped a little but it didn’t fix it completely. I don’t hear it when it play, just when it is sitting turned on.

ALJO

Apr 6, 2013
St.Romuald
I don't know much about Sterns but there must be a sound board on Monopoly, I recently bought a Jukebox and the guy did a complete restore on it before selling it to me, he changed the caps as well, he told me that the sound will be as if I had a new Jukebox and sound is great (it's a 1977 Jukebox) if it were me, I'd check if you have caps on that sound board and if so, I'd change every single one of them.
Just yesterday I was doing some research on capacitor life span (because I'm having a small problem with my Pin2K monitor these days) and electrolytic capacitors (the ones that are in our games.....) have a life span of 1000 hours to 10 000 hours, if the game was turned on 24 hours a day at a certain time of it's life and that Stern put in cheap caps (which I think is the case), then, 3 years of this treatment and most of the caps are'nt good anymore.

Reactions: Paul