• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Price Check on LOTR **No matter - BOUGHT***

G

Re: Price Check on LOTR

Sorry for the treadjack but don't worth starting a thread about it, i always wanted to know that:What's the difference between an LE and the non-LE ? How many different LOTR versions were made and how much of each?
Thanks!

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario

Thanks for your help and input.
I think I can get the machine for 4200$. It may be a little high (including the border), but as you owners have stated, no one is willing to part with their machines locally....even if I offered them way more :) I offered the last HUO owner 5200$ and was turned down....So I am resigned to overspend south of the border to accommodate me needs!

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012

Ya, cross the border to pick up your LOTR. You will save money. I may be doing the same thing later this year.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

Any idea why the price on this game has gone crazy all of a sudden? It's good, but it's a little strange that this is up over 5k but TSPP, for example, isn't. Both are deep games from around the same era, and I'd argue that The Simpsons is a much better game. Just seems like everyone is looking for a LOTR these days-I wonder if Stern could re-run them? I'm sure they'd do OK on location given the Hobbit movies, and it's got to be cheaper to do a re-run than a new game every year. Are operators really demanding that much turnover? I'll bet they could move another 250 of these pretty easily.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton

I don't believe they have the license to do them anymore. Same with Spiderman. I like both LOTR and TSPP. But the problem with TSPP is that it has no flow. At all. In the end this is what made me sell it. It was to much a chore to play that next game. Although I don't mind some stop and go games, games that have flow tend to last longer. So you add flow to a deep ruleset with a great theme and you have an excellent game. TSPP also has harder shots, which I don't mind, but the average player probably does. I think what it comes down to is that the average player will prefer LOTR while the players that like TSPP are usually the more skilled. If I had room for a bigger collection I would have both games.

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario
At the risk of creating a debate, I believe people are looking for LOTR now-a-days simply for the theme. It is a WAY cooler theme than TSPP IMO.
Everyone talks about flow, gameplay and strategies.....but I don't think that is what buying a pinball is all about.
I have a modest collection, JP, IJW, CFTBL, SWDE, LOTR, (PRED)......bought in that order. I had a Congo, POTO and a Fire! in there as well. Long story short, I can't remember even playing a pinball machine before I bought my JP a little over 2yrs ago. I had money to burn, no idea what to buy and a kijiji add came up near me selling a pinball. I thought, what the hell; why not?
I AM NOT a great pinball player. I have A LOT of fun playing and "working" on them though. What sells me on a game isn't flow, gameplay, or resale potential.....it all essentially comes down to theme.
I scour HOURS of youtube vids, PAPA vids and see what games I like; almost more importantly, what games I can stand the sound and effects on.
I had never even played any of my titles before I owned them. I know I can be seen as an idiot by some, but I have to enjoy them in every facet - appearance, aesthetics, art, sound, gameplay, and what means something to me.
LOTR was timeless with the books, renewed with the movies and OWN-ABLE with the pin.
Just my two cents.