• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Data East Batman display and PIA issues

shuffman1

Nov 17, 2017
Belledune, NB, Canada
Had a problem with (at first) my DE Batman power supply. Something surged and blew the f7 1/2 amp fuse on the power board. I pulled it, and unfortunately, it was over fused at 1 amp. I replaced the power board and noticed I no longer had a display. It would boot up and say "I'm Batman" but that was it. I thought maybe the over amped fuse might have blown something on the DMD. I took the opportunity to upgrade to a Pin2DMD colour display. Got it installed thinking, hey, this is going to solve everything. I still don't get past the "I'm Batman" at boot up. The display shows the "Pin2DMD" start screen, and that's it. Unfortunately I noticed the PIA light on my CPU stays on when I boot. It was probably the case from the start. I've ordered a couple new chips. Hopefully replacing the one on the display part of the board will fix it.
Any other advice on what could be the issue would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at the CPU board and can't seem to see anything physically wrong with it.

Thanks

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
My batman did this years ago ...I sent it out, the batteries had leaked onto the mpu. This was caused apparently by the d5 ram chip shorting and drawing full power from battery I was told. Batteries were new, I was waiting on a holder for a cr32. It happened on power up so I was fortunate to clean up the acid leak immediately. It did cause the dmd to quit. I had it repaired, he cleaned it and replaced the d5 chip, and installed a cr32 battery. The dmd started working.!...just a thought to check that ram chip ..

shuffman1

Nov 17, 2017
Belledune, NB, Canada
I haven't been able to find any corrosion on the board. I have the B and C chips are brand new (came with the new DMD) and I don't see anything on the D that would indicate an issue. Thanks for the tip though. I am seriously considering just getting a new MPU. I've changed out the PPB and the DMD already. May as well save my pennies for the next little while and have pretty much everything in the backboard new.